$2400 Cap On 401k Contributions

Ras, I read something in the past few weeks that indicated touching the 401k contributions was a no go, at least from a considerable number in Congress. Talk about sticking it to the middle class if this happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Straight up idiots. Why on earth would they want to cap the amount that people can contribute to their retirement... do they plan on overhauling social security? Again, straight up idiots. Get the hell out of people's pocket already.

Reactions: 2 people
Straight up idiots. Why on earth would they want to cap the amount that people can contribute to their retirement... do they plan on overhauling social security? Again, straight up idiots. Get the hell out of people's pocket already.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

They are proposing switching to all Roth. Just another way of screwing future generations by denying them tax dollars to pay off all the other debt they've built up.

This

Is it OK now to say that neither one of these parties care about the middle class?

Ras, take a look at the reporter for the article. Bob Bryan, poly sci and journalism major from Chapel Hill. He is not a nuts and bolts guy in the business world nor on taxation. He is a another lefty, semi-hiding behind a "business magazine" title, flinging as much doodoo as possible.
The whole article is based a throw comment from Chuck U. Shumer. See his twitter and other articles written to get the flavor. You're going to see all kinds of bull like this about the tax package. Some of it will be true but most of it will be the an attempt to smear.

This is why tax reform is so difficult. No one wants to look at the overall picture. They zoom in on the one thing that matters to them and screech. You could give people the option of a lower tax bill with mortgage interest gone, or a higher tax bill with the mortgage interest deduction, and a disturbing number of people would pick to keep their deduction. Look at what happened to JC Penney when they got rid of coupons and lowered their prices. People went nuts, even though they were paying the same or less than before. They liked the "deals", even if it meant more hassle than a flat pricing structure. Tax isn't much different. It's no use going mental about this one single thing if you don't take into context everything else that surrounds it.

The fact of the matter is way too many people do not take advantage of their 401k or investing in general. Most people do the bare minimum to get their company match, and lots of people don't even do that. It's free money and they can't bother to put a little away to get it. It surprises me to talk to other people my age with good jobs or in a DINK situation and if investing comes up they tell me about the $5k they have in their Scottrade account. I had more than that in grad school. I worked with a guy that bought 5 shares of Facebook when it IPO'd and agonized when it went down 10 bucks. I don't know where all their money is going, but it points to a serious saving problem in this country.

This is why tax reform is so difficult. No one wants to look at the overall picture. They zoom in on the one thing that matters to them and screech. You could give people the option of a lower tax bill with mortgage interest gone, or a higher tax bill with the mortgage interest deduction, and a disturbing number of people would pick to keep their deduction. Look at what happened to JC Penney when they got rid of coupons and lowered their prices. People went nuts, even though they were paying the same or less than before. They liked the "deals", even if it meant more hassle than a flat pricing structure. Tax isn't much different. It's no use going mental about this one single thing if you don't take into context everything else that surrounds it.

The fact of the matter is way too many people do not take advantage of their 401k or investing in general. Most people do the bare minimum to get their company match, and lots of people don't even do that. It's free money and they can't bother to put a little away to get it. It surprises me to talk to other people my age with good jobs or in a DINK situation and if investing comes up they tell me about the $5k they have in their Scottrade account. I had more than that in grad school. I worked with a guy that bought 5 shares of Facebook when it IPO'd and agonized when it went down 10 bucks. I don't know where all their money is going, but it points to a serious saving problem in this country.
They will be in sad shape if they live to be over 70.

Most people do the bare minimum to get their company match, and lots of people don't even do that. It's free money and they can't bother to put a little away to get it.

Which goes back to what I originally asked... is this a way for employers to minimize the amount they have to put in matching funds?

In other words, is this even related to the tax cuts and more of a sneaky way of helping employers reduce the amount they pay in matching?

Which goes back to what I originally asked... is this a way for employers to minimize the amount they have to put in matching funds?

In other words, is this even related to the tax cuts and more of a sneaky way of helping employers reduce the amount they pay in matching?

I don't see how it changes the match. YOUR limit right now is $18k. Your employer match does not factor into that limit.

Most companies match around 4-5%. So a person making $50k and doing the minimum (very common) is putting $2,000-2,500 in their 401k with a match. It has surprised me how many people at work are only doing this and no more. Again I have no idea where their money is going.

I don't see how it changes the match. YOUR limit right now is $18k. Your employer match does not factor into that limit.

Most companies match around 4-5%. So a person making $50k and doing the minimum (very common) is putting $2,000-2,500 in their 401k with a match. It has surprised me how many people at work are only doing this and no more. Again I have no idea where their money is going.

I guess I'm just searching for an angle on why this was even suggested by the GOP (allegedly). Doesn't seem to be pro-middle class.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just searching for an angle on why thus was even suggested by the GOP (allegedly). Doesn't seem to be pro-middle class.

The sad reality is a lot of Americans are probably not putting much more than this in their 401k. The amount that contribute the max is in the single digits. At the end of the day if your tax bill is going down who cares how you got there.

VN Store

Back