Hurricane Harvey and Israel??

Pacer92

Youneverknow
In the town of Dickinson, Texas people filling out applications for relief funds for damage done by Hurricane Harvey, must vow not to boycott Israel...WTF?!?

To get Harvey relief funds, residents of Dickinson must vow not to boycott Israel | Harvey | Dallas News

ACLU of Texas Legal Director Andre Segura called the requirement "an egregious violation of the First Amendment" and said it was reminiscent of "McCarthy-era loyalty oaths requiring Americans to disavow membership in the Communist Party and other forms of 'subversive' activity."
"The First Amendment protects Americans' right to boycott, and the government cannot condition hurricane relief or any other public benefit on a commitment to refrain from protected political expression," Segura said in a written statement.

When he signed the bill into law in May he said that "any anti-Israel policy is an anti-Texas policy."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I agree this is bad. but I am curious if you would be upset if it was any other state on the do not boycott list, lets say it was oh I don't know, Russia. Would you be upset if there was a do not boycott Russia law?

also some of the text of the law is even scarier than the proposed measure. not sure if other states or laws have the same clauses but the sections on lawsuits was real bad. anyone suing the state or agent of the state about this law has to pay the legal fees for the state to defend their bs law.

the state doesn't have to follow this law if in doing so they would lose money

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/HB00089I.pdf#navpanes=0

became active September 1st 2017. impeccable timing.

I agree this is bad. but I am curious if you would be upset if it was any other state on the do not boycott list, lets say it was oh I don't know, Russia. Would you be upset if there was a do not boycott Russia law?

also some of the text of the law is even scarier than the proposed measure. not sure if other states or laws have the same clauses but the sections on lawsuits was real bad. anyone suing the state or agent of the state about this law has to pay the legal fees for the state to defend their bs law.

the state doesn't have to follow this law if in doing so they would lose money

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/HB00089I.pdf#navpanes=0

became active September 1st 2017. impeccable timing.

I'd have a problem with this no matter who it was...any nation!

It speaks volumes to who/what influences politics in this country...

Reactions: 2 people
also just curious about how one would boycott Israel? What do they produce that I typically buy? like do I just stop buying Matzoh ball soup or something?

Here watch this.

I am boycotting Israel!

*nothing changes*

I am no longer boycotting Israel.

*nothing changes for the second time*

also just curious about how one would boycott Israel? What do they produce that I typically buy? like do I just stop buying Matzoh ball soup or something?

Here watch this.

I am boycotting Israel!

*nothing changes*

I am no longer boycotting Israel.

*nothing changes for the second time*

I'm guessing its because of the ongoing conflict with the Palestinians...

Money speaks....and the root of all evil!

Crazy and stupid law.

Without a doubt...

Just think about this for a second....relief funding for Americans homes and businesses that were destroyed by Hurricane Harvey is dependent on your political view of Israel?!

Do the math...

Reminds me of an interview I heard a few weeks ago from a Puerto Rican who said that there were people on the island that had "illegal"/unapproved wells and they were selling water with armed men to the people that could pay for it. Once FEMA came in and found out who had these illegal water wells, they shut the Wells down and arrested some of the owners.

You can't break the law, no matter how unjust it is. Obey the law at all times.

I imagine Trump has asked whether he can condition FEMA aid on a loyalty oath to him. Or at least giving him a 10 out of 10 on something.

I mean, that's what people are saying.

I imagine Trump has asked whether he can condition FEMA aid on a loyalty oath to him. Or at least giving him a 10 out of 10 on something.

I mean, that's what people are saying.

Are you making an effort to be funny or are you serious?

VN Store

Back