Tennessee Senate Race

Franklin Pierce

Conservative Republican Marsha Blackburn is running for Corker's seat.

Now, former Governor Phil Bredesen is considering running for Corker's seat.

Former Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen, the last Democrat to win a statewide election in the Volunteer State, is weighing a run for the U.S. Senate seat held by retiring Republican Bob Corker after previously ruling out a bid.

Democrat Phil Bredesen confirms interest in race for Tennessee Senate seat held by Bob Corker

Reactions: 1 person
I know Bredesen is Dem, but I would strongly consider voting for him. He sounds like a good guy from a conservative I know that worked for him.

I know Bredesen is Dem, but I would strongly consider voting for him. He sounds like a good guy from a conservative I know that worked for him.
I voted for Bredesen twice for Governor, and I rarely vote for Democrats. I don't vote all the races on the ballot, so I don't always vote for Republicans either.

Blackburn got skewered in that 60 minutes piece about being one of the two sponsors of the bill that neutered the DEA and lead to the opioid crisis.

Not a good look since so many of her constituents are dying from overdoses...

Blackburn got skewered in that 60 minutes piece about being one of the two sponsors of the bill that neutered the DEA and lead to the opioid crisis.

Not a good look since so many of her constituents are dying from overdoses...

Well, we don't need the DEA.

Reactions: 4 people
If true, Bredesen will destroy Blackburn.

Doubt it. The Tenncare debacle will be hung around his neck. Plus when he spoke at commencement this past May he looked and sounded like crap, almost like he didn’t know where he was.

Not to mention he’s what 74-75 years old?

Reactions: 3 people
Doubt it. The Tenncare debacle will be hung around his neck. Plus when he spoke at commencement this past May he looked and sounded like crap, almost like he didn’t know where he was.

Not to mention he’s what 74-75 years old?

He's the best Tennessee dems can offer

NASHVILLE -- Departing Gov. Phil Bredesen says his successor can run state government without a sales tax hike, but the record shows that, while Bredesen didn't raise the sales levy, other taxes and fees soared close to $1 billion on his watch.

Acting at Bredesen's behest in 2007, for example, lawmakers passed a cigarette tax hike expected to bring in $160 million to $180 million a year, most of it going toward education.

Earlier this year, faced with Bredesen's threats to slash their TennCare payments, hospitals asked lawmakers to pass a one-year hospital "assessment fee" that would raise $310 million to draw down additional federal matching funds.

Other increases included a 2009 package that increased taxes on managed care companies not participating in TennCare. The package, which also raised environmental permit fees, brings in about $136 million annually.

The same year, Bredesen persuaded lawmakers to boost employer taxes by an estimated $245 million a year to prevent the state's Unemployment Trust Fund from going broke. The tax is slated to go away when the fund hits $650 million in reserves.

A list of tax and fee measures compiled by the General Assembly's Fiscal Review Committee staff, combined with Revenue Department figures and news accounts, shows total increases in Bredesen's tenure exceeded $900 million, although some tax and fee hikes are, theoretically, only temporary.

During Bredesen's tenure, the administration each year pitched a "technical corrections" bill that included measures aimed at shutting down what officials called "loopholes." They also included flat-out tax hikes, and some lawmakers complained about the process.

State Senate Finance Committee Chairman Randy McNally, R-Oak Ridge, said the annual "technical corrections" legislation brought each year by Bredesen "in some ways closed some loopholes and in other regards it was, you know, I guess you could call it tax increases, fee increases."

Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, R-Blountville, the Senate speaker, said Democrat Bredesen relied on any number of revenue measures during his eight years in office.

"He raised the cigarette tax, and it passed [the Senate] on a straight-line party vote," Ramsey recalled. "He made an attempt to raise taxes on small businesses last [session] by removing the single-article [sales tax] cap."

Bredesen suggested elim- inating the sales-tax cap on major purchases exceeding $3,200. Lawmakers blocked the $85 million measure as well as Bredesen's proposed $21 million increase in driver's license fees. Both measures were designed to help offset the need to whack government spending in light of recession-ravaged revenues.

Bredesen tax legacy may be tough act to follow | Times Free Press

I think you have him confused with Sundquist. I remember him being a big state income tax clown

Sunquist tried a couple times, he was awful. Bredesen floated it twice but after Sunquist the idea didn't get far.

Bredesen wasn't a bad gov but I don't think will stand a chance, I'm telling you he barely sounded lucid this past May.

Sunquist tried a couple times, he was awful. Bredesen floated it twice but after Sunquist the idea didn't get far.

Bredesen wasn't a bad gov but I don't think will stand a chance, I'm telling you he barely sounded lucid this past May.

His time probably has past, but it won't shock me if he runs and wins.

VN Store

Back