Moore v. Strange

lawgator1

Tomorrow is the vote.

Very interesting race. Trump backing the incumbent, more or less establishment guy. Sent Pence down there today.

Bannon campaigning for Moore.

Hard to envision a guy like Moore with a seat in the Senate. He will pull some stunts and put the GOP and Trump on the spot quite a bit.

Public polling has Moore ahead by 9-10 points, private polling shows a very tight race, but the polling is very unreliable for a number of reasons.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/22/alabama-senate-polls-roy-moore-luther-strange-243033

Reactions: 1 person
I'm voting Strange - if Moore wins I won't vote for him in the general

Seems like whoever wins the GOP primary is a pretty resounding favorite in the general.

I gather Dems can vote in this one, too, is that right? Wonder how many would show up to vote for Strange just to keep Moore out.

Seems like whoever wins the GOP primary is a pretty resounding favorite in the general.

I gather Dems can vote in this one, too, is that right? Wonder how many would show up to vote for Strange just to keep Moore out.

Not sure if they can but my money would be they'd vote for Moore since he's an easier beat in the general than Strange.

Open primary with this caveat

Alabama utilizes an open primary system. However, state law prohibits voters from voting for a different political party in the runoff than the one they voted for in the primary.

So the likely D crossovers probably voted in the D primary - would take a strongly organized campaign to get D voters out to mess with this one

I assume they update the lists between elections and if you voted D in the primary you won't be on the list when you check in tomorrow.

I'm still confused. You seem to be saying that if you voted in the D primary, then you cannot vote in the GOP primary, too.

But you quoted this: Alabama utilizes an open primary system. However, state law prohibits voters from voting for a different political party in the runoff than the one they voted for in the primary.

That seems to contemplated that if you voted in a party's primary, then you cannot vote for the candidate from the other party in the general. I'd have a lot of problems with that because it would mean they are tracking your vote, plus it would mean that for example you cannot select a different evil come November.

I'm still confused. You seem to be saying that if you voted in the D primary, then you cannot vote in the GOP primary, too.

But you quoted this: Alabama utilizes an open primary system. However, state law prohibits voters from voting for a different political party in the runoff than the one they voted for in the primary.

That seems to contemplated that if you voted in a party's primary, then you cannot vote for the candidate from the other party in the general. I'd have a lot of problems with that because it would mean they are tracking your vote, plus it would mean that for example you cannot select a different evil come November.

Oh, wait. Never mind. I get it now. Duh.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/donald-trump-john-mccain-mitch-mcconnell-alabama/index.html

Trump called in to Rick and Bubba.

Literally.
Trump on McCain: 'It's disgusting'

"It's disgusting," Trump said. "When I ran, I was told I'd have a bill on my desk and I'd sign it on Day 1. Now, when it matters because you have a president who is actually going to sign it, they don't do it. And they pander, and they grandstand. You look at McCain -- what McCain has done is a tremendous slap in the face to the Republican Party. Tremendous. He was good to go all the way up until 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning when he voted ... Without John McCain, we already have the health care."
'Mitch is not, polling-wise, the most popular guy'

"As you know, Mitch is not, polling-wise, the most popular guy in this country," Trump said. "They like to label (Strange) because he happened to be there for a number of months in the Senate, so they like to label him as Mitch's best friend but he's not. He hardly even knows him. He'll be fighting Mitch."
"I know he's going to fight him on that ridiculous filibuster rule where you need 60 votes instead of 50 or 51," Trump added. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. So that means we need eight Democrats, and the Republicans can end it. And Mitch wants to keep it, which is ridiculous by the way. But Mitch wants to keep it. How do you get votes? That means you get eight Democrats every time. It is absolutely insanity to keep it. The Republicans have a very slim margin."

Reactions: 2 people
Trump pulled that NFL sideline thing during the rally for Strange. He played his base like a fiddle on this one.

Reactions: 4 people
Trump pulled that NFL sideline thing during the rally for Strange. He played his base like a fiddle on this one.

Wouldn't it be funny if Trump said " who all here wants some strange?" " I want it bigly"

In comes Melania and slaps him up side the head with her stiletto.

The Associated Press has called the election for Roy Moore. Moore will be the new U.S. Senator representing Alabama.

Last edited:
The Associated Press has called the election for Roy Moore. Moore will be the new U.S. Senator representing Alabama.

Robert Bennett said it best. They didn't vote for the candidate Trump liked, they voted for the candidate that was like Trump.

Pretty embarrassing for Alabama. Moore is waaay out there.

Reactions: 7 people
Robert Bennett said it best. They didn't vote for the candidate Trump liked, they voted for the candidate that was like Trump.

Pretty embarrassing for Alabama. Moore is waaay out there.

You saying this tells me Alabama elected the right guy.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back