America's Poorest States

Still better to live in TN than anywhere up north and most places out west.

Reactions: 3 people
#1, Maryland

Armchair will be saddened by the fact that the wealthiest and best educated state in the country is in the South.

Reactions: 1 person
Southern states will always be at the bottom of the barrel because the majority of them aren't business meccas that house large corporation headquarters. The economies are more agricultaral.

Basing the study solely on median HH income is misleading though. You have to consider the cost of living.

Saying MD is in the south is a stretch.

I would say Maryland originals are more like southerners than anything else.

Also, Maryland probably would have seceded but I believe their state legislators were arrested and prevented from voting for succession, but I may be mixing up history.

Also, Maryland probably would have seceded but I believe their state legislators were arrested and prevented from voting for succession, but I may be mixing up history.

You are correct. And if memory serves, martial law was declared as well.

It was a terrible blow to the constitution by Lincoln, but I understand the position he was in and Maryland and Virginia would have had DC surrounded.

Tennessee is a horrible place to live. It's like rafting down Deliverance River. It's dangerous, humid, the water is poisoned and the soil won't grow cream of wheat. Please go warn all of your Northern and Western friends; tell them to stay far, far away.

Reactions: 6 people
The south is such a hellhole, that's why you see all those Michigan and Ohio license plates at lake houses.

Every southerner I know who has moved north misses the south, with many moving back at some point. Every northerner I know who has moved south does not miss the north, and most don't go back.

Reactions: 3 people
Southern states will always be at the bottom of the barrel because the majority of them aren't business meccas that house large corporation headquarters. The economies are more agricultaral.

Basing the study solely on median HH income is misleading though. You have to consider the cost of living.

All good points and there are others in this thread. This type of index always comes with an anti-southern bias.

I noticed they listed poverty rates - would be interested to see poverty rate adjusted for cost of living.

I know for some programs such as CHIP they use the national poverty income line and may go as high as 3x to determine eligibility - in Alabama you can make as much as $77K (family of 4) and be eligible for CHIP (children's health insurance) - it is hella cheap and treated like Bluecross/Blueshied.

$77K is good money in Alabama.

VN Store

Back