Catalan Independence Vote: October 1st

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
So I haven't seen a topic discussing this which could be a political bombshell in the making. The Catalan regional government passed the binding referendum earlier last week but has already been blocked by the Spanish Constitutional court but have vowed to go ahead. Going to be interesting to see what happens if it passes (could give new life to Basque nationalists), doubt the Spanish government would pursue military actions against them but what other alternative do they have?

So I haven't seen a topic discussing this which could be a political bombshell in the making. The Catalan regional government passed the binding referendum earlier last week but has already been blocked by the Spanish Constitutional court but have vowed to go ahead. Going to be interesting to see what happens if it passes (could give new life to Basque nationalists), doubt the Spanish government would pursue military actions against them but what other alternative do they have?
I spoke about this topic and created a thread last year about Catalonia independence...

Catalonia Independence

This is something that has come up a lot. Glad to see they are finally pushing it through.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41463719

Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont says the region has won the right to statehood following Sunday's contentious referendum which was marred by violence.

He said the door had been opened to a unilateral declaration of independence.

No legit government, aside from maybe Russia, will recognize their independence IMO. Where and how far the Spanish government is going to take this in order to maintain control will be interesting.

Catalonia will declare independence from Spain in a matter of days, the leader of the autonomous region has told the BBC.

Hundreds of thousands of people across Catalonia have been protesting over Spanish police violence during the vote, during which nearly 900 people were hurt.

When asked what he would do if the Spanish government were to intervene and take control of Catalonia's government, Mr Puigdemont said it would be "an error which changes everything".

Mr Puigdemont said there was currently no contact between the government in Madrid and his devolved administration.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41493014

Hate to see the violence but it may be necessary. I love seeing people assert their independence.

Catalonia independence declaration signed and suspended - BBC News

So Puigdemont has signed a declaration of independence but has "suspended" its implementation for several weeks to allow time for talks with Madrid. I don't see the point in the suspension honestly. The Spanish authorities are not going to allow it so is Puigdemont simply delaying this in hopes of the independence movement faltering or does he truly think he can negotiate a separation?

So Puigdemont has signed a declaration of independence but has "suspended" its implementation for several weeks to allow time for talks with Madrid. I don't see the point in the suspension honestly. The Spanish authorities are not going to allow it so is Puigdemont simply delaying this in hopes of the independence movement faltering or does he truly think he can negotiate a separation?

i would think he is trying to get international backing first.

Deadline is tomorrow at 10, not sure what that time is for us, but I would think we have some news pretty early in the day.

Deadline is tomorrow at 10, not sure what that time is for us, but I would think we have some news pretty early in the day.

Madrid getting read to invoke Article 155 (direct rule) which will not go over well.

Well here we go: Catalan parliament has voted for unilateral independence with 70 voting for and 10 opposing it. Now comes the showdown with Madrid planning to invoke direct rule for the first time in Spain's history.

VN Store

Back