Republicans Abusing Americans

[twitter]https://twitter.com/reason/status/898602401837469697[/twitter]

Reactions: 3 people
Last edited:
Here is a classic example of how Republicans daily work to screw ordinary people while protecting business owners. Multiple this by 100--wage and benefit issues, workers' comp, etc, etc. and you have the GOP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/...egulation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I was expecting a lot more meat than what you threw out here. If you want to find examples of the GOP screwing the Average Joe, there are plenty more better examples than this. My only question would be, are you equally outraged at how Democrats screw the Average Joe everyday?

Reactions: 6 people
Here is a classic example of how Republicans daily work to screw ordinary people while protecting business owners. Multiple this by 100--wage and benefit issues, workers' comp, etc, etc. and you have the GOP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/...egulation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Did you read your entire article?

The Trump administration has also proposed several requirements to protect nursing home residents who agree to binding arbitration. For example, arbitration agreements would have to be written in “plain language” and be explained to the consumer “in a form and manner that he or she understands.”

I await your spin on it.

Reactions: 1 person
Instead of arguing about the evils of Dems and Republicans can we please find some common ground? Nothing will change if the average Americans are busy biting each others heads off while our Governent continues to grow more powerful.

Can't we agree that the two party system is broken? That our governent has stopped caring about it's citizen? That the MSM has turned into a soap opera? No one cares about the issues anymore. Why?

Why do you guys put so much energy into tearing one another down for the sake of a party that doesn't give a lick about you?

Reactions: 7 people

I work in a nursing home or skilled nursing facility as they are called..... That is a horrible law instituted by obama.... you should actually educate yourself on what goes on in skilled nursing facilities and the absolutely ridiculous guidelines we have to follow.... I don't agree with everything trump does but this a huge Thank you president Trump for protecting the ones giving care to our elderly population.

Instead of arguing about the evils of Dems and Republicans can we please find some common ground? Nothing will change if the average Americans are busy biting each others heads off while our Governent continues to grow more powerful.

Can't we agree that the two party system is broken? That our governent has stopped caring about it's citizen? That the MSM has turned into a soap opera? No one cares about the issues anymore. Why?

Why do you guys put so much energy into tearing one another down for the sake of a party that doesn't give a lick about you?

:good!: Well said young man...Can't we all just git along....Rodney King.

All of this.

Why is arbitration bad for residents?

I assume the trial lawyer lobby pushed the previous admin to open the litigation pathway?

Have seen other work on this issue which suggests arbitration is actually the more efficient approach and yields overall better outcomes for the plaintiffs.

Politicizing this by using scare tactics just perpetuates the divide.

Do you realize that guys making comments such as this between rival groups are the first ones to get their asses kicked?.... in a real setting that is..... just sayin'

Why is arbitration bad for residents?

It depends on how the dispute resolution clause which calls out arbitration and waiving your legal remedy through the courts is crafted.

Who selects the "neutral arbiters", are there provisions of confididentality (e.g.,are the proceedings/findings closed), under what rules is the arbitration bound, etc.? Given that the drafters of the arbitration clause are lawyers for the corporate client, I suspect the terms will clearly be drafted in their client's favor.

Being involved in corporate law and contracts for a good portion of my career, arbitration versus litigation is very complex decision. Waiving your rights to get a loved one with a debilating medical problem into a nursing home, is not something I would do. That is just me and has nothing to do with Trump or Obama.

I assume the trial lawyer lobby pushed the previous admin to open the litigation pathway?

Have seen other work on this issue which suggests arbitration is actually the more efficient approach and yields overall better outcomes for the plaintiffs.

Politicizing this by using scare tactics just perpetuates the divide.

Yeah, some people abuse arbitration (how are the courts different?), but all things considered, they are major cost cutters.

Yeah, some people abuse arbitration (how are the courts different?), but all things considered, they are major cost cutters.

Not necessarily. Typically, each side will have aribation attorneys gathering evidence and arguing their respective sides. At least you can bet that the healthcare corporation side of the equation will have the full force of their legal team involved.
It would be in the best interest of your loved one to have an attorney as well.

Basically you are presenting a legal case to a panel of arbiters.
If you have agreed to rules of arbitration that include nondisclosure, even if the company is at fault and is found liable for acts of willful neglect or abuse, no one will ever know. It is sealed.

Bingo

Not necessarily. Typically, each side will have aribation attorneys gathering evidence and arguing their respective sides. At least you can bet that the healthcare corporation side of the equation will have the full force of their legal team involved.
It would be in the best interest of your loved one to have an attorney as well.

Basically you are presenting a legal case to a panel of arbiters.
If you have agreed to rules of arbitration that include nondisclosure, even if the company is at fault and is found liable for acts of willful neglect or abuse, no one will ever know. It is sealed.

The total cost is cheaper, tho. Yeah you may have to hire lawyers but that's only one part of the equation.

It depends on how the dispute resolution clause which calls out arbitration and waiving your legal remedy through the courts is crafted.

Who selects the "neutral arbiters", are there provisions of confididentality (e.g.,are the proceedings/findings closed), under what rules is the arbitration bound, etc.? Given that the drafters of the arbitration clause are lawyers for the corporate client, I suspect the terms will clearly be drafted in their client's favor.

Being involved in corporate law and contracts for a good portion of my career, arbitration versus litigation is very complex decision. Waiving your rights to get a loved one with a debilating medical problem into a nursing home, is not something I would do. That is just me and has nothing to do with Trump or Obama.

That is my point. The author of this article is telling the reader that this is bad with no analysis of why this is bad. As an attorney, I prefer a jury trial. I've taken a couple cases to arbitration. I've always represented the party that had the arbitration forced upon them and each time I've worried about the impartiality of the arbitrator. The decisions came back in my clients favor. The process took about 1/2 the time of a court case. The legal fees were less, but the cost of the arbitration offset those savings a good bit.

Rival groups? It's funny that you think you are actually a part of something.

The comment was made in jest...... as if a person saying such a thing was standing between two groups about to fight.... not as if I think I'm actually part of something......hence "in a real setting that is"......

The total cost is cheaper, tho. Yeah you may have to hire lawyers but that's only one part of the equation.

The total cost MAY be cheaper. In my experience, the total cost of settling by arbitration is not ALWAYS cheaper. I have been involved in both. The comparable total cost of litigation between the two methods was not consistently lower for arbitration.

Corporations will always push for a venue that will give them higher probablity of success and/or minimize any long term negative impacts to there business resulting from the decision.

VN Store

Back