Noise/Propaganda

SWIL

( •_•)O*¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
Is it just me or does it seem like 90%+ of the discussions/arguments/#trolling on this board seem based on petty partisan, media driven bickering that is, by design, meant to deflect attention to topics, events, and legislation that really matter?

Too many posts seem like a funnel for the garbage that comes from CNN, FoxNews, and all the other corp owned propaganda spin machines. They exist to confirm your biases, not provide you the truth.

"The job of media is not to inform, but to misinform: Divert public attention from important issues and changes decided by the political and economic elites, by the technique of flood or the continuous flood of distractions and insignificant information."

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Reactions: 3 people
Agree and disagree. I think there are a bunch of pretty informed people here who, though there may not always be agreement there is productive discussion.

Then there are 7 or 8 frequent posters who literally rattle off whatever Maddow/Hannity was talking about the night before

Reactions: 2 people
Agree and disagree. I think there are a bunch of pretty informed people here who, though there may not always be agreement there is productive discussion.

Then there are 7 or 8 frequent posters who literally rattle off whatever Maddow/Hannity was talking about the night before

You've also got a few that would rather crack jokes once they are cornered in an argument instead of actually deal with the facts presented to them.

Reactions: 3 people
You've also got a few that would rather crack jokes once they are cornered in an argument instead of actually deal with the facts presented to them.

And you have some who ignore facts like when another militant group claims affiliation with ISIS.

Reactions: 4 people
This stinks. There is a lot not right with this. Politicians are slimy, when they climb in bed with the media it creates the vilest thing imaginable. What is going on is among the craziest things​ I've ever witnessed. Journalism is dead.

All I've heard are conspiracy theories, like watching ancient aliens on History channel.

"The job of media is not to inform, but to misinform: Divert public attention from important issues and changes decided by the political and economic elites, by the technique of flood or the continuous flood of distractions and insignificant information."

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Who are you quoting?

They exist to confirm your biases, not provide you the truth.

I'd frame it in terms of ratings. The networks broadly cultivate a loyal audience and package content accordingly.

Last edited:
The Signal and the Noise - written by Nate "Carlos" Silver

While he's kind of FOS, I still listen to what he has to say

As far as it relates to news, 90+ percent is just noise. No worth outside of entertainment. Same goes for financial news too. CNBC/WSJ/Bloomberg just need something to talk about and captivate their viewers

The Signal and the Noise - written by Nate "Carlos" Silver

While he's kind of FOS, I still listen to what he has to say

As far as it relates to news, 90+ percent is just noise. No worth outside of entertainment. Same goes for financial news too. CNBC/WSJ/Bloomberg just need something to talk about and captivate their viewers

The Soviet woodpecker now that was some noise.

I'd much rather have the media just like it is rather than simply reporting on events. I'm just old enough to remember McCarthyism. If not for people like Edward R Murrow the Government would have gotten away with destroying people for their political leanings. In many cases just because they were suspected of having "unAmerican views".

We have enough information and are smart enough to sort through what we are being told on TV. What it boils down to is that we here are just basically Liberals, Conservatives and a smattering of "other". We are members of the forum mainly just because we enjoy the fights.

I'd much rather have the media just like it is rather than simply reporting on events. I'm just old enough to remember McCarthyism. If not for people like Edward R Murrow the Government would have gotten away with destroying people for their political leanings. In many cases just because they were suspected of having "unAmerican views".

We have enough information and are smart enough to sort through what we are being told on TV. What it boils down to is that we here are just basically Liberals, Conservatives and a smattering of "other". We are members of the forum mainly just because we enjoy the fights.

You can't see the McCarthyism going on now within the media?

Reactions: 4 people

You realize this didn't die with McCarthy? And was happening a recently as Obama's Admin? How often did you see the left leaning media go after conservatives because of their political beliefs? Or Fox going after liberals for the same thing?

By and large, the media wants you to feel bad about your political position because it doesn't align with what they happen to be spouting that day. Don't even act like today's so called "journalists" are anything even close to the generation of Murrow and others.

Reactions: 5 people
Is it just me or does it seem like 90%+ of the discussions/arguments/#trolling on this board seem based on petty partisan, media driven bickering that is, by design, meant to deflect attention to topics, events, and legislation that really matter?

Too many posts seem like a funnel for the garbage that comes from CNN, FoxNews, and all the other corp owned propaganda spin machines. They exist to confirm your biases, not provide you the truth.

Agree totally. The corporately owned media exist for the purpose of keeping people divided and misinformed..

Media, government and education all are aligned as one to keep the sheep herded up...

Reactions: 1 person
Agree totally. The corporately owned media exist for the purpose of keeping people divided and misinformed..

Media, government and education all are aligned as one to keep the sheep herded up...

Things would be so much better without the media, government, and education.

the people don't care because they don't want to be accountable for their own thoughts.

You were aware of political events in 1950?

Had no idea you are the senior member here.

How old are you? McCarthy has been dead 60 years.

Reactions: 1 person
This stinks. There is a lot not right with this. Politicians are slimy, when they climb in bed with the media it creates the vilest thing imaginable. What is going on is among the craziest things​ I've ever witnessed. Journalism is dead.

All I've heard are conspiracy theories, like watching ancient aliens on History channel.

You are correct, journalism is dead.

VN Store

Back