Rouhani Wins Re-election in Iran

Persian Vol

I should be studying.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39984066

"Sensing an effort by the hardliners, supporters of President Rouhani who back his promises to steer the country toward moderation came out in big numbers too. Turnout has been unprecedented. In Tehran, five million people turned out to vote - twice as many as in 2013."

"This was a revenge of the people against the hardliners who intimidated them, jailed them, executed them, drove them to exile, pushed them out of their jobs, and discriminated against women."

"President Rouhani will now have a bigger mandate to push through his reforms, to put an end to extremism, to build bridges with the outside world, to put the economy back on track."

Good news for Iran.

Let us hope. That country has the potential to be the biggest ally to the West in the Middle East if something can be done about the extremists.

And yet the mullahs still call the shots.

The one who has the final say,

150714-ali-khamenei-0540_17bdcaa0eab267a28eefb5558a851802.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
"President Rouhani, 68, said his resounding victory showed that voters rejected extremism and wanted more links with the outside world."

"In his first speech after the result was announced Mr Rouhani said: "The Iranian nation has chosen the path of interaction with the world, a path which is distant from extremism and violence."

If you guys cannot see how this is a good thing, then I don't know what to say.

Reactions: 5 people
"President Rouhani, 68, said his resounding victory showed that voters rejected extremism and wanted more links with the outside world."

"In his first speech after the result was announced Mr Rouhani said: "The Iranian nation has chosen the path of interaction with the world, a path which is distant from extremism and violence."

I agree with you Persian. some people can't get over that this wasn't a one step process to waving American flags, listening to Def Leppard and drinking Buds.

So they are going to disband the IRGC, stop the Al Quds, curtail their direct support for Hezbollah, Houthis, Hamas, etc. to get on that "path that is distant from extremism and violence."??? :peace2:

So they are going to disband the IRGC, stop the Al Quds, curtail their direct support for Hezbollah, Houthis, Hamas, etc. to get on that "path that is distant from extremism and violence."??? :peace2:

This path is more likely than if the hardliner was voted in. Good news doesn't equal a resolution, it's simply progress. Louder made a great point.

Reactions: 6 people
If anything, the fact that the majority of the populace would prefer the moderate over the hardliner is a fantastic sign.

Reactions: 2 people
Trump just harshly singled out Iran in his speech. Is he laying a foundation?

If anything, the fact that the majority of the populace would prefer the moderate over the hardliner is a fantastic sign.

Actions speak louder than words.

I'd like to see "hope and change" but so far I can see a bunch of hope and no change.

So how long before we hear some more "Death to America!"?

2/10/17

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-iran-anniversary-idUSKBN15P0QV

Leading religious and political figures, including President Hassan Rouhani, had urged Iranians to join the rally on Friday to "show their unbreakable ties with the Supreme Leader and the Islamic Republic".

r

Hundreds of thousands rally in Iran against Trump, chant 'Death to America': TV

Small percentage, OK, sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time...ranian-president-death-to-america/?source=dam

"This slogan that is chanted is not a slogan against the American people. Our people respect the American people. The Iranian people are not looking for war with any country, but at the same time the policies of the United States have been against the national interests of Iranian people. It's understandable that people will demonstrate sensitivity to this issue. When the people rose up against the Shah, the U.S. aggressively supported the Shah until the last moments. In the eight year war with Iraq, the Americans supported Saddam. People will not forget these things. We cannot forget the past, but at the same time, our gaze must be towards the future."

I'm obviously not condoning anyone saying "death to America", but is anyone shocked that Iranians are upset at Americans?

Nontheless, would anyone rather have another Ahmadinejad in office? Obviously not. For that reason, his prescense rather than another hardliner is "good news".

What was said? I missed it.

I'm just paraphrasing from memory:

All countries are helping with this fight against terrorism with the exception of one....Iran.
Iran is funding, hiding, supporting, encouraging terrorism....

VN Store

Back