USDA planting land mines

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
And I dare anyone to call it anything more polite:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/2...at-injured-boy-killed-pets-lawmaker-says.html

As was their routine, 14-year-old Canyon Mansfield and his dog raced through the backyard of his Idaho home and up the top of a nearby hill to play. Minutes later, Canyon was knocked to the ground after a cyanide bomb set by the U.S. government detonated some 350 yards from the family's doorstep.

Canyon watched as his 3-year-old golden Labrador, Casey, lay dying, suffocating from orange-colored cyanide sprayed by an M-44 device no one had told Canyon's family about.

The dog's death on Thursday follows a string of other recent incidents in which family pets were accidentally killed by M-44s, a controversial device used by Wildlife Services, a little-known branch of the U.S. Department of Agriculture tasked with destroying animals seen as threats to people, agriculture and the environment.

Argyle said Wildlife Services is required by law to post warning signs around the devices but said, "We did not observe any signs at the location." Upon further inspection, authorities found a second device within yards of the Mansfield home. Both devices were planted in the ground on Feb. 25 without the family's knowledge or consent.

The M-44s, also known as "coyote-getters," are designed to lure animals with a smelly bait. When an animal tugs on the device, a spring-loaded metal cylinder fires sodium cyanide powder into its mouth.

And some of you wonder why people are starting to despise the government.

Reactions: 2 people
How long does it take for the planted landmines to sprout and produce a crop of new land mines?

Reactions: 1 person
Typically, your humor is taken in good stride and worthy of a chuckle or two, McDad. But this is an extremely serious matter. Where does the government get the idea it's okay to put these things on private property without notifying the owners of said devices?

Furthermore, my tax dollars will now be paying serious money to this and other families because someone thought it was okay to traipse across private property and set these things up.

Let's put it a different way. If I was to go out and build my own cyanide bomb, plant it on federal grounds and it went off harming someone, I'd be charged with terrorism. And it's very likely my defense wouldn't get very far with "I was only trying to target coyotes."

Reactions: 4 people
Typically, your humor is taken in good stride and worthy of a chuckle or two, McDad. But this is an extremely serious matter. Where does the government get the idea it's okay to put these things on private property without notifying the owners of said devices?

Furthermore, my tax dollars will now be paying serious money to this and other families because someone thought it was okay to traipse across private property and set these things up.

Let's put it a different way. If I was to go out and build my own cyanide bomb, plant it on federal grounds and it went off harming someone, I'd be charged with terrorism. And it's very likely my defense wouldn't get very far with "I was only trying to target coyotes."

It is impossible for me to hate the Government (bureaucrats) any more than I already do. I understand the gravity of your post, though.

This is disgusting.

Somehow, some way, we must get back to a constitutional republic with a well regulated gov't that serves and respects the citizens. It's out of control when police can knock on our doors for no reason, shoot us in our foyers, and the Supreme Court says it's all good, man. When there is no such thing as property rights. When they can poison our pets on our own property...

This is disgusting.

Somehow, some way, we must get back to a constitutional republic with a well regulated gov't that serves and respects the citizens. It's out of control when police can knock on our doors for no reason, shoot us in our foyers, and the Supreme Court says it's all good, man. When there is no such thing as property rights. When they can poison our pets on our own property...

We are absolutely in agreement on this issue.

Edit - I do not agree with the use of these devices, but it appears that the devices were not on the pet owners property. They are placed on public lands or at the behest of private landowners.

Last edited:
Edit - I do not agree with the use of these devices, but it appears that the devices were not on the pet owners property. They are placed on public lands or at the behest of private landowners.

Read the article again. One was right next to the house.

This is disgusting.

Guy at work was telling me his friend has a greenhouse he uses to start his garden. One day a TBI helicopter hovers low over the greenhouse for a bit before flying off. Downdraft ripped most of the plastic off the house. How in the world is that legal? Of course no one offered to pay to fix the greenhouse either.

Read the article again. One was right next to the house.

Within yards is what it said if memory serves. The article was very careful to not to say that it was on their property. It also said that the devices are only placed on managed lands or private land only at the behest of the landowner.

I concede that it made it sound like these devices were planted on the pet owners land, but was careful not to say it outright. It is an example of dishonest reporting. I find these devices to be appalling if they are planted anywhere where they might be stumbled upon by children and pets. It seems like an awfully indiscriminate way to go after coyotes.

Reactions: 3 people
This entire idea of creating mines with the purpose of killing animals is just ridiculous.

I can't imagine anyone would think this is a good idea. Does anyone know how long it has been going on? I couldn't find much about them that dated prior to this incident.

Within yards is what it said if memory serves. The article was very careful to not to say that it was on their property. It also said that the devices are only placed on managed lands or private land only at the behest of the landowner.

I concede that it made it sound like these devices were planted on the pet owners land, but was careful not to say it outright. It is an example of dishonest reporting. I find these devices to be appalling if they are planted anywhere where they might be stumbled upon by children and pets. It seems like an awfully indiscriminate way to go after coyotes.

It's idiotic. There's nothing to stop a bear, eagle, wolf, cougar, etc. from being killed by one of these either. If you spread poison on your own property and a bald eagle dies from eating a poisoned rat you get fined and risk jail time. But the goverment can do the exact same thing for "safety".

I can't imagine anyone would think this is a good idea. Does anyone know how long it has been going on? I couldn't find much about them that dated prior to this incident.

Apparently similar devices have been used since the 30s.

Just never got exposure until now.

The dog's death on Thursday follows a string of other recent incidents in which family pets were accidentally killed by M-44s, a controversial device used by Wildlife Services, a little-known branch of the U.S. Department of Agriculture tasked with destroying animals seen as threats to people, agriculture and the environment.

Yeah those damn white tail deer threatening humans. Smh.

That's an awfully random use of a deadly chemical "trap" to control some problem animals. At an absolute minimum there should be some pretty clear warning signage. (at least until the critters learn to read)

I know another place they could put these mines. It's infested with good for nothing varmints and blood sucking parasites. It's between VA and MD.

Reactions: 3 people
Because trapping an animal and making sure that it's the species you are after, or pay for hunt, is too much trouble? Sicko dip$hits.

Maybe that would be more expensive, we all know the government wouldn't want to waste money.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back