Judge Gorsuch nomination hearing

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
In progress. And as expected, it's a partisan affair. The DNC is against the nomination, the GOP is for it.

Imagine that.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Gorsuch nomination will be the best thing Trump does in the next 4 years.

Reactions: 1 person
Is he qualified and does he have any scandals that would unduly tarnish his qualifications? His views on specific issues, though interesting, should not be the fodder to withhold confirmation.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Gorsuch nomination will be the best thing Trump does in the next 4 years.

Unfortunately, it's a partisan mess at the moment. There is a lot, and I mean a metric ****-ton, of butthurt over the Garland situation from the DNC side of the house.

I'd expect a fairly strict party line vote for nomination with the possibility of some of the more conservative "leaning" Senators (Manchin, Testor, etc) to cross over to vote for him. He'll get voted in unless it comes out he's been taking trips to Tijuana for animal shows or something.

Unfortunately, it's a partisan mess at the moment. There is a lot, and I mean a metric ****-ton, of butthurt over the Garland situation from the DNC side of the house.

I'd expect a fairly strict party line vote for nomination with the possibility of some of the more conservative "leaning" Senators (Manchin, Testor, etc) to cross over to vote for him. He'll get voted in unless it comes out he's been taking trips to Tijuana for animal shows or something.

And those people would be right to be pissed over Garland, but that doesn't justify acting like petulant children during this confirmation.

Reactions: 3 people
What do you find appealing about Gorsuch?

He's stood up for property rights/right to privacy AKA castle doctrine, even when his opinions weren't very popular among conservatives.

His opinion on the Chevron case speaks volumes about him. He has a problem with judicial deference to agencies because they are not accountable to the people.

He seems very principled. I would go so far to say that he might be the absolute best we could hope for. This is somebody who I think Rand Paul would have strongly considered, if he were president.

Reactions: 2 people
He's stood up for property rights/right to privacy AKA castle doctrine, even when his opinions weren't very popular among conservatives.

His opinion on the Chevron case speaks volumes about him. He has a problem with judicial deference to agencies because they are not accountable to the people.

He seems very principled. I would go so far to say that he might be the absolute best we could hope for. This is somebody who I think Rand Paul would have strongly considered, if he were president.

Too bad Rand isn't on the Judiciary Committee. However, even as much as I don't care for him, Ted Cruz has been spot on.

Blumenthal is now up. This will obviously be fun...

And by "fun" that can be read as "partisan hack job."

Hirono says that Gorsuch does not seem to favor minorities or "the little guy."

Lol, when all else fails, racism.

Reactions: 7 people
Nice statement by Neal Katyal. Says it was a disgrace that Garland wasn't at least afforded a hearing, but Gorsuch was one of the few choices that would "help regain the public confidence" or words to that effect.

Decent opening statement by Gorsuch.

Tomorrow is when the real fun begins.

The Dems, rightfully, are pizzed off about that. On the other hand, Gorsuch seems qualified and pretty much free of any real scandal.

I think he will be confirmed. The Dems just got outplayed by the GOP on Garland, who was also well qualified.

The Dems, rightfully, are pizzed off about that. On the other hand, Gorsuch seems qualified and pretty much free of any real scandal.

I think he will be confirmed. The Dems just got outplayed by the GOP on Garland, who was also well qualified.

before its over he will be called a racist or sexist

I understand there will be some resentment over what happened. However, wrong forum to being up said disgust IMO. This was Gorsuch's hearing and it should have been focused on him. Not throwing a temper tantrum for the benefit of C-SPAN.

I understand there will be some resentment over what happened. However, wrong forum to being up said disgust IMO. This was Gorsuch's hearing and it should have been focused on him. Not throwing a temper tantrum for the benefit of C-SPAN.

Um, yeah, this is Congress, so pretty much every second of every day is spent in some form of self-promotion.

Reactions: 4 people
Did I miss anything? Did democrats wear all White again (irony)? Did they shower themselves with the blood of virgin sheep in an act of defiance? Did they join hands and sing old civil rights hymns? Did they loot, rape, and murder during an "exercise of their right to assemble"?

I really like this choice.

On his independence Gorsuch says:

"When I became a judge, they gave me a gavel, not a rubber stamp and no-one comes to my court expecting a rubber stamp."

VN Store

Back