Is CNN real news today?

Other than the usual politicians on the other side who have to, I think everyone thought he did a good job last night, including me. He is a welcome change from what we had before, which I would argue was over intellectualizing a lot of problems.

The question is, can he maintain that persona. He doesn't help his cause when he gets into pissing and moaning matches with people over the size of a crowd, or how many people voted for who in what county.

So far, every time he has acted in a presidential, commanding, and coherent manner, he has followed that up fairly shortly with some sort of overreaction to a petty issue. With luck, his staff have convinced him given the reaction he got to this speech that he is capable of being calm and able to let things bounce off of him that do not matter, in the long run. Time will tell.

Reactions: 3 people
Other than the usual politicians on the other side who have to, I think everyone thought he did a good job last night, including me. He is a welcome change from what we had before, which I would argue was over intellectualizing a lot of problems.

The question is, can he maintain that persona. He doesn't help his cause when he gets into pissing and moaning matches with people over the size of a crowd, or how many people voted for who in what county.

So far, every time he has acted in a presidential, commanding, and coherent manner, he has followed that up fairly shortly with some sort of overreaction to a petty issue. With luck, his staff have convinced him given the reaction he got to this speech that he is capable of being calm and able to let things bounce off of him that do not matter, in the long run. Time will tell.
I knew he would win you over. We saved you a seat on the Trump train.

Reactions: 4 people
Trump gets on TV, sounds like an adult for roughly an hour and promises the American people free stuff.

Let's stop pretending like this is something that it is not.

It is only if Trump cannot transition day to day into what we saw last night.

Its up to him.

So it's not his policies you have a problems with, just personality? He hasn't materially changed anything from the campaign trail. The people clawing at their faces in rage since the election haven't been able to hear anything he says. You've been blinded by hate and listening to a media doing everything they can to destroy the man.

Reactions: 1 person
So it's not his policies you have a problems with, just personality? He hasn't materially changed anything from the campaign trail. The people clawing at their faces in rage since the election haven't been able to hear anything he says. You've been blinded by hate and listening to a media doing everything they can to destroy the man.

I'm not sure what his policies are, exactly, so there's that.

Be honest, he's a bit of a moving target. Yesterday, he made comments suggestive of a road to citizenship for illegals who are working and not committing crimes. I really do think most people believe this to be the correct approach -- illegals who commit violent or other serious offenses get deported, those who work or contribute in some way get a realistic path to citizenship.

But will he maintain that? He's going to catch major flack from his base. Will he still take that middle ground that most people like because it makes sense and is realistic?

On the ACA, the fact is the only way to bring down cost of insurance is to widen the pool and include healthy people. Obama did it with a mandate -- you have to buy or pay a penalty, to generate revenue to fund care. Trump says he wants to do it with incentives, i.e. tax breaks or credits to young healthy people who buy insurance on their own if employer does not offer it.

Will he still want to do that when the numbers come back and the young healthy people still aren't buying in? Cost of care will go up. Cost of insurance will go up. The number of insured will go down.

Will he then reverse course? I think he might.

And how about the budget busting moves he is planning? Increased spending and decreased revenue, when we are already running a deficit. Now, he believes that he can recover the lost revenue by increasing growth. In principle, that CAN work, but not if at the same time you do it you give tax breaks to the companies that experience the growth.

And you know that is what this Congress, in particular, is going to do. He may spur growth, but will the increased receipts from that actually offset the increased spending and other income reductions?

And if it doesn't, how is the base going to feel in three years when their standard of living has barely ticked up, but the billionaire class continues to reap windfalls?

The goals he has set are great. But are they rhetorical or real?

I'm not sure what his policies are, exactly, so there's that.

Be honest, he's a bit of a moving target. Yesterday, he made comments suggestive of a road to citizenship for illegals who are working and not committing crimes. I really do think most people believe this to be the correct approach -- illegals who commit violent or other serious offenses get deported, those who work or contribute in some way get a realistic path to citizenship.

But will he maintain that? He's going to catch major flack from his base. Will he still take that middle ground that most people like because it makes sense and is realistic?

On the ACA, the fact is the only way to bring down cost of insurance is to widen the pool and include healthy people. Obama did it with a mandate -- you have to buy or pay a penalty, to generate revenue to fund care. Trump says he wants to do it with incentives, i.e. tax breaks or credits to young healthy people who buy insurance on their own if employer does not offer it.

Will he still want to do that when the numbers come back and the young healthy people still aren't buying in? Cost of care will go up. Cost of insurance will go up. The number of insured will go down.

Will he then reverse course? I think he might.

And how about the budget busting moves he is planning? Increased spending and decreased revenue, when we are already running a deficit. Now, he believes that he can recover the lost revenue by increasing growth. In principle, that CAN work, but not if at the same time you do it you give tax breaks to the companies that experience the growth.

And you know that is what this Congress, in particular, is going to do. He may spur growth, but will the increased receipts from that actually offset the increased spending and other income reductions?

And if it doesn't, how is the base going to feel in three years when their standard of living has barely ticked up, but the billionaire class continues to reap windfalls?

The goals he has set are great. But are they rhetorical or real?

As a conservative person, I'm not comfortable with everything he is proposing. Some of what he wants is progressive and should be what your side wants. But to say yes I like what he said but it's Trump so it's no good is irrational. It is amazing to watch democrats argue against the things they want because they are emotionally compromised.

Reactions: 2 people

I don't agree with his proposed spending thus far. At this rate he is going to have a record deficit. I also don't agree with establishing VOICE.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back