Muslims raise over $70,000 to help fix damage done to Jewish cemetery

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe the Jews will give them some pork as a gift of appreciation.

rQvAybi.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Good for them! I am very happy to read this.

As to your second point, start a new catch all threas and we can post other stories like this to it.

It would do a world of good if they did more of this. Heck, it would be great if regular every day people helped out the last people you think they would, just out of compassion.

Reactions: 2 people
Muslim activists raise over $70,000 to aid vandalized Jewish cemetery - ABC News

Things like this need to be talked about more, to dispel the notion that Radical Islamic Terrorism (RIT) is about a religion, as opposed to geo-political.

Westernizing Islam is the best way to improve our relationship with them, IMO. You can expect more of this sort of thing from the first world brand of Islam. In a lot of respects, the ME is stuck in the dark ages and so are many of their religious attitudes.

Reactions: 3 people
Westernizing Islam is the best way to improve our relationship with them, IMO. You can expect more of this sort of thing from the first world brand of Islam. In a lot of respects, the ME is stuck in the dark ages and so are many of their religious attitudes.

I am convinced that more of the Muslim world shares what you might call Western values than is appreciated. And in a lot of ways that is their fault. They let themselves be caricatured and mischaracterized too much.

Things like this go a long way to making people stop and realize that, like Christianity, the Muslim world is not some monolithic entity where everyone thinks and acts the same.

Muslims probably are the ones who desecrated the cemetery in the first place.

Reactions: 5 people

Ironic they are stuck in the dark ages except for AK47s, RPGS, cell phones, and complex explosives.

Reactions: 4 people
Ironic they are stuck in the dark ages except for AK47s, RPGS, cell phones, and complex explosives.

There's a Frontline episode about the battle in Mosul and ISIS is using drones to recon and drop grenades on the Iraqi soldiers.

Agreed that more of these stories need to make headlines.

We still need to understand, however, that Islam as a political reality is currently a problem. The moderates and true reformers like in this story need to be propped up. I'm not saying all followers of Islam will blow themselves up in a crowded market, but saying it has nothing to do with Islam is wrong. It obviously has something to do with Islam. Islamic doctrine still holds views on homosexuality, women rights, and free speech that are still antithetical to western values and basic human rights. It is not an unsafe assumption that even those in this story hold to those views in varying degrees. The first step to solving the problem is admitting there is one and we need to be able to discuss this on a public and intellectual level without generalizations and labels before that true reform can take place.

Being first world isn't all about wealth and access to technology. A big part of it is political freedom*. They may have cell phones but they aren't really allowed to speak their minds. If we weren't allowed to speak out about religious influence over government, we'd have a lot more religious influence over government.

*In fact, lack of political freedom is the biggest distinguisher between 2nd world and 1st world, as I understand the classifications.

We "westernized" islam just before and during WWI.

Ataturk, London educated and westernized, abdicated the caliphate of the Ottoman Empire about 1920 and a secular government was installed. That was supposed to be the westernizing and improving of Christendom's relationship with islam. It's not working.

While I applaud and hope for ever more and more examples of compassion and acceptance, don't get your hopes too high.

Agreed that more of these stories need to make headlines.

We still need to understand, however, that Islam as a political reality is currently a problem. The moderates and true reformers like in this story need to be propped up. I'm not saying all followers of Islam will blow themselves up in a crowded market, but saying it has nothing to do with Islam is wrong. It obviously has something to do with Islam. Islamic doctrine still holds views on homosexuality, women rights, and free speech that are still antithetical to western values and basic human rights. It is not an unsafe assumption that even those in this story hold to those views in varying degrees. The first step to solving the problem is admitting there is one and we need to be able to discuss this on a public and intellectual level without generalizations and labels before that true reform can take place.

We "westernized" islam just before and during WWI.

Ataturk, London educated and westernized, abdicated the caliphate of the Ottoman Empire about 1920 and a secular government was installed. That was supposed to be the westernizing and improving of Christendom's relationship with islam. It's not working.

While I applaud and hope for ever more and more examples of compassion and acceptance, don't get your hopes too high.

Is it akin to correlation and not causation?

Being born Muslim and in the ME carries with it a high probability that you will be born into poverty, that education will be sparse, and that culturally, at least for some, violence is a hop skip and a jump from faith.

That is correlation, not causation.

We know its not causation because 1) we see repeated acts by Muslims in direct contravention of acts of religious based terrorism, i.e. raising money for a Jewish cemetery; and 2) the vast majority of the world's Muslim population is not engaged in and does not support terror attacks; and 3) other disaffected groups also commit terrorism, including people of Christian faith.

So no, its not that there is no connection at all. Rather, it is that there is a correlation between terrorism and Islam, not causation.

If you had a society where Muslims felt safe and poverty was not rampant, and there was education, and young people had achievable goals for success, don't you agree that we would not have the radical Islamic terrorism we have now?

Maybe over the Israeli issue, but it would be confined and would not be international like this.

Reactions: 3 people
Was the "damage" to the cemetery the fact that it was empty?

I kid. I kid.

Seriously. Kudos.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back