Alan Greenspan Reverting to Old Ways on Gold Standard

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Well, he was a gold standard guy before he worked for the Fed and now that he's not the chairman, he's back to his old beliefs. Pretty interesting...

The gold standard was operating at its peak in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, a period of extraordinary global prosperity, characterised by firming productivity growth and very little inflation.

But today, there is a widespread view that the 19th century gold standard didn’t work. I think that’s like wearing the wrong size shoes and saying the shoes are uncomfortable! It wasn’t the gold standard that failed; it was politics. World War I disabled the fixed exchange rate parities and no country wanted to be exposed to the humiliation of having a lesser exchange rate against the US dollar than itenjoyed in 1913.

Today, going back on to the gold standard would be perceived as an act of desperation. But if the gold standard were in place today we would not have reached the situation in which we now find ourselves.

https://mises.org/blog/alan-greenspan-admits-ron-paul-was-right-about-gold

I'm not an economist so I don't really know what would happen. But if the US announced it was going back on the gold standard tomorrow I believe those who are heavily invested in gold would become mega wealthy over night.

Mmmm, wonder who own all the gold?

I'm not an economist so I don't really know what would happen. But if the US announced it was going back on the gold standard tomorrow I believe those who are heavily invested in gold would become mega wealthy over night.

Our Constitution calls gold and silver money.

Well, he's a sell out but he's right. We wouldn't be $17T in debt if there were a gold standard. That's not even considering the argument that the fed creates recessions.
I thought it was about $20T, but what's an extra 3 trillion?

Long story short..when I was traveling for my job I was catching a train out of Union Station. A guy bumped into me carrying two large brief cases. I looked up and it was freaking Greenspan. I wished I could have seen the contents of those damn brief cases.

Long story short..when I was traveling for my job I was catching a train out of Union Station. A guy bumped into me carrying two large brief cases. I looked up and it was freaking Greenspan. I wished I could have seen the contents of those damn brief cases.
Gold bullion.

I thought it was about $20T, but what's an extra 3 trillion?

Our gold reserves are at Ft. Knox and a couple other locations, from what I gather.....no one has seen these in many a year...

Who knows how much is there?

I do. Thank you Glenn Beck!

Our gold reserves are at Ft. Knox and a couple other locations, from what I gather.....no one has seen these in many a year...

Who knows how much is there?

None. All the gold is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills.

Reactions: 1 person
None. All the gold is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills.

Another fable. Wrong sir, about 20 years ago some Germans stole our gold from lower manhattan and made it to Canada. We killed the guys. But they have yet to give it back.

Well, he's a sell out but he's right. We wouldn't be $17T in debt if there were a gold standard. That's not even considering the argument that the fed creates recessions.

Amazing; we agree on something. You can't even say our money is a standard if it isn't tied to something fixed and measurable - it just floats, sinks, and wobbles based on what the Fed and speculators say.

VN Store

Back