Anti-Lukashenko Spread Across Belarus

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
Anti-Luskashenka Protests Spread Across Belarus, as Moscow Mulls Response

One of the most curious characteristics of revolutions is that they often begin when something happens that ordinarily would be quickly dealt with and contained but then capture the mood of the population of the moment and quickly grow into a fundamental challenge to the existing system.

That happened in Petrograd in February 1917 and in Kyiv in 2013, among others, and it now appears to be happening in Belarus where anger about a foolish effort by Minsk to tax those without jobs has prompted not just the largest protest in Minsk since 2010 but also demonstrations in other cities of that country over the last 24 hours.

It is of course possible that the Lukashenka regime will manage to suppress this popular rising or that Vladimir Putin will exploit it to achieve regime change or even annexation there, but it is absolutely clear that the Belarusian people have had enough of their incumbent dictator and are prepared to go farther and faster than even opposition figures had thought possible.

The demonstrations in the Belarusian capital on Friday were the largest and the most vocally anti-Lukashenka of any there since at least 2010.

But what is perhaps even more important is that similar protests are taking place in the Belarusian cities of Mohylev, Homel, and Hrodno as well, attracting far more people than even their organizers expected and with participants expressing far more radical and anti-regime views than many had ever done before.

Hopefully this is the start of the downfall of Europe's last dictatorship.

where is Nuland? has trump tweeted about who he would like to work with?

Zapad 2017, anti-Lukashenko rallies emerging, DNR/LNR citizens granted Russian passports essentially (same as what happened right before the '08 Georgian invasion): everything is in place for a major invasion.

If Putin is finally going to do it, he better do it quick. Agent Trumpsky won't be president too much longer.

Reactions: 2 people
There is going to be a big protest in Minsk today. The Belorussian government has already blocked opposition websites and have deployed a massive police presence. Really hoping this is the start of the toppling of Lukashenko, though if it happens you can guarantee Russia will invade, they can not afford to lose Belarus.

This is a really under-reported story. Had no idea this was going on until I saw this thread. Media is too concerned about Trump for the moment, I guess.

In the event it does start getting covered, I'm sure the media will have an angle where they wonder if Trump is covertly supporting Lukashenko in an attempt to help his buddy Putin.

This is a really under-reported story. Had no idea this was going on until I saw this thread. Media is too concerned about Trump for the moment, I guess.

In the event it does start getting covered, I'm sure the media will have an angle where they wonder if Trump is covertly supporting Lukashenko in an attempt to help his buddy Putin.

This has been going on for about a month now. We mostly put it in the Russia Thread.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39393351

There are still sustained protests going against the new tax law against people without jobs even after Lukashenko suspended it. Today was declared "Freedom Day" and as in the article marched against a protest ban. The regime again has deployed a massive amount of security forces to the capital and have started arresting pretty much any one on the streets of Minsk.

C7xApGUWkAIoB8B.jpg

VN Store

Back