Moving Forward

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
I don't post often on VN, even less in the Politics forum. But I wanted to share my thoughts. Flame away.

“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” Abraham Lincoln.

As is the great mandate of our Republic, a peaceful transition of government has occurred today. It is an amazing, powerful idea that for over two hundred years, we as a nation, freely and without recourse, can give some one the ability to lead Western Civilization with great power, and then, without bloodshed or violence or war, take that ability from them and give it to someone anew. The spectacle is truly remarkable, and defines us as Patriots.

The election is over. Whether you like him or not, Donald Trump is now our President. He was elected by our peers and won the Electoral College. He may have lost the popular vote, but that matters little. Legally and under our democratic institutions, he is your President. And my President. I truly wish him well. He is the leader of the free world now, and I would never want him to fail in his oath or governance of all Americans.

Many of you know my deep distrust of President Trump and the Republican majority in Congress. I have said before that he is a threat to the Republic, and I believe that in my core. I desperately hope he proves me wrong.

With that said, agree and praise when credit is due. Protest when necessary. Abhor and shun violence, but be heard.

Never forget, our President is just a civilian. He is not a king. Many thousands died to wipe the plague of monarchy from America. We answer to no one. The President answers to us. Hold him accountable. Congratulate President Trump on his successes. Scorn him for his failures.

Abraham Lincoln had a recurring dream throughout the Civil War in which he was standing on a great ship sailing over dark, tumultuous waters, heading quickly toward a dim light on the shore. He reached it in life by restoring the Union, by uniting a tattered nation rife with division under the simple American idea that all are created equal in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Never lose hope. Our Constitution, ideals, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, our core values as American Patriots are far more important and powerful than one man.

We are a nation of revolutionaries. The American electorate that led to President Trump practiced the most basic act of protest: they were heard with their vote. And now another act of patriotism is occurring with peaceful protests across the country. Both are American in the truest sense of the word.

We have never been so divided in decades; President Trump won the Electoral College while losing the popular vote by three million. Those of you supporting Trump, especially blindly supporting him, keep this in mind. We are fractured at our core.

Even in darkness, there is light. Hold true to freedom, justice, liberty, and equality for all American citizens. Question everything. Hold these men and women accountable. Be fair. Be vigilant. Be educated. Be heard. Be a Patriot that would make our forbearers proud.

Reactions: 5 people
It would be silly for anyone to want him to fail. I wasn't a big fan of Obama, but prayed for the man every day. I'll do the same for trump, hopefully he does a good job.

Reactions: 1 person
It would be silly for anyone to want him to fail. I wasn't a big fan of Obama, but prayed for the man every day. I'll do the same for trump, hopefully he does a good job.

Many, on both sides of the aisle, want the opposing party to fail, no matter the cost. McConnell said he wanted to make President Obama a one term president. Many Democrats have said the same regarding President Trump.

Many of you know my deep distrust of President Trump and the Republican majority in Congress. I have said before that he is a threat to the Republic, and I believe that in my core. I desperately hope he proves me wrong.

I didn't vote for him, I'd rather have someone else as POTUS (actually many someone else's).

That said, I'm sure you recognize that even those who didn't support him don't share your fears. I do not.

I'm not minimizing your concerns but rather suggesting that empathy is a multi-way street. I recall how similar fears of Obama were mocked and ignored - even Obama himself mocked the fears.

We can't come together if we continue to draw battle lines and attack perceived motives rather than argue policy.

:hi:

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't vote for him, I'd rather have someone else as POTUS (actually many someone else's).

That said, I'm sure you recognize that even those who didn't support him don't share your fears. I do not.

I'm not minimizing your concerns but rather suggesting that empathy is a multi-way street. I recall how similar fears of Obama were mocked and ignored - even Obama himself mocked the fears.

We can't come together if we continue to draw battle lines and attack perceived motives rather than argue policy.

:hi:

I agree with you. And said the same in my post. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I was just relaying my political beliefs heading into President Trump. Even though I'm distrustful of him, I'll wait until I see some policy proposals before I judge.

When BHO was first elected I hoped that he would be good for the country. I didn't protest, harass anyone or generally act like a repugnant ass.
Unfortunately, it didn't take long at all for his policy and behaviors coupled with his liberal stooge army in the House and Senate to make realize he was a turd in the punch bowl. Trump may end up the same..... I hope not, but who knows?

All I know for sure is that I don't have to hear BHO say " let me be clear" while lying to me one more time and it makes me very .... very happy.

Reactions: 8 people
When BHO was first elected I hoped that he would be good for the country. I didn't protest, harass anyone or generally act like a repugnant ass.
Unfortunately, it didn't take long at all for his policy and behaviors coupled with his liberal stooge army in the House and Senate to make realize he was a turd in the punch bowl. Trump may end up the same..... I hope not, but who knows?

All I know for sure is that I don't have to hear BHO say " let me be clear" while lying to me one more time and it makes me very .... very happy.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with peaceful protest. This aggravates me to no end that Americans would fuss about protests. This is what we do.

Reactions: 2 people
There is absolutely nothing wrong with peaceful protest. This aggravates me to no end that Americans would fuss about protests. This is what we do.

It's not what I do..... I don't waste my time hanging out with ugly fat liberal chicks and guys that don't bathe properly ....... I don't stand in the street making a fool out of myself trying to prevent people from passing.... I don't chant F Hillary..... or yell Shame! Shame! Shame! In people's faces just because they want to attend the inauguration...... this is what inconsiderate stupid MFs do.

Reactions: 11 people

Peaceful protest is perfectly fine and healthy. We've gone down such an identity politics road though that while I'm someone who supports some of what Trump advocates and some of what the Women's March advocates I'd be relatively unwelcome by either group and just can't abide the orthodoxy demands.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess you missed the limousine burned to the ground, and the glass storefronts busted out?

I mentioned idiots in my OP. And called them idiots. Tens of thousands of people are descending on DC to protest. So far about 100 were arrested for being foolish.

Never forget, our President is just a civilian. He is not a king. Many thousands died to wipe the plague of monarchy from America. We answer to no one. The President answers to us. Hold him accountable. Congratulate President Trump on his successes. Scorn him for his failures.

I'm only commenting in this thread to answer this comment.

No, monarchy is NOT a "plague," and some Founding Fathers even considered the idea of a monarch, albeit, an elective monarch. Hamilton even considered inviting Prince Henry of Prussia to be America's king.

An excellent article by The Federalist: Hail To The King! - The Federalist

Democracy has even more ability to steal away the rights of men through corruption and base impulse because, by will of the majority, such thefts of liberty are deemed legitimate; whereas, for a monarch, it is considered tyranny.

Another article for your reading pleasure:
The Mad Monarchist: Possible American Monarchs

I would argue having a hereditary constitutional monarchy would give greater consistency, foster more patriotism, and prove far better than having half the country hate the President every 4-8 years.

It's not what I do..... I don't waste my time hanging out with ugly fat liberal chicks and guys that don't bathe properly ....... I don't stand in the street making a fool out of myself trying to prevent people from passing.... I don't chant F Hillary..... or yell Shame! Shame! Shame! In people's faces just because they want to attend the inauguration...... this is what inconsiderate stupid MFs do.

The point is that they are allowed to do that under the Constitution. Do you disagree with that idea?

I'm only commenting in this thread to answer this comment.

No, monarchy is NOT a "plague," and some Founding Fathers even considered the idea of a monarch, albeit, an elective monarch. Hamilton even considered inviting Prince Henry of Prussia to be America's king.

An excellent article by The Federalist: Hail To The King! - The Federalist

Democracy has even more ability to steal away the rights of men through corruption and base impulse because, by will of the majority, such thefts of liberty are deemed legitimate; whereas, for a monarch, it is considered tyranny.

Another article for your reading pleasure:
The Mad Monarchist: Possible American Monarchs

I would argue having a hereditary constitutional monarchy would give greater consistency, foster more patriotism, and prove far better than having half the country hate the President every 4-8 years.

I disagree with this with every fiber of my being.

Reactions: 5 people
Peaceful protest is perfectly fine and healthy. We've gone down such an identity politics road though that while I'm someone who supports some of what Trump advocates and some of what the Women's March advocates I'd be relatively unwelcome by either group and just can't abide the orthodoxy demands.

We have always been like this. It is what we do.

Well, just saw a segment on the local news about a psychic community predicting a favorable Trump presidency. Looking good!

The point is that they are allowed to do that under the Constitution. Do you disagree with that idea?

While those he described are allowed as you said; that particular style of "protest" is so ... ...base... as to make one turn towards the very thing the abject idiots protest against.

In this case a successful Trump administration.

While those he described are allowed as you said; that particular style of "protest" is so ... ...base... as to make one turn towards the very thing the abject idiots protest against.

In this case a successful Trump administration.

I'm not saying anything other than I believe, and am protected by our Constitution, that we all have the right to protest.

I remember all those rowdy Tea Party members getting arrested at their political events.

Are you going to say, without doubt, that in the six years since the rise of the Tea Party, not a single person has been arrested that was tied to that group?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back