Why I'm Leaving The Democrat Party

Franklin Pierce

Today, just before the next president is to be inaugurated, I have chosen to leave the Democratic Party.

For as long as I can remember, I have been a loyal Democrat. Growing up in a Catholic, Massachusetts family, I sometimes ask myself if I even had a choice to begin with — one can only read so many Kennedy biographies before coming to the realization that they tended to associate with a particular party.

But I digress. Now I am considering becoming a Republican.

My concerns that led me to this point are many, but they can essentially be divided into three larger qualms.

IDENTITY POLITICS
First is the increasing reliance of the party on identity politics, and the circumvention of earnest debate that results from this strategy. Not only is this brand of politics untenable — and unattractive to an overwhelming number of Americans — it stifles debate in that it simplifies and seeks to accuse in a way that is alienating as well as condescending and undeniably exclusive.

Not since the days of McCarthyism has the demand to conform been greater — and that should concern all Americans. This is not how the Democratic Party has historically operated, so to see it begin to capitulate to the likes of far-left groups (which I used to believe possessed little influence) marks a troubling shift towards extremism that mimics the Republicans’ Tea Party phenomenon of 2010. As a moderate, this is not something that I will simply accept as normal, for it is not.

Why I’m leaving the Democratic Party | TheHill

Reactions: 1 person
Take a bunch of the online

"what is my political position" tests.

I fit firmly in "Centrist" every time. But that's not how I see myself. I'm very strong on environment. The human race is the only animal that is continually defacating in it's own nest. How large an influence mankind has on climate change to me is secondary to how fast we're killing off the species that are left. So EPA etc. is real big for me.

I'm fiscaly conservative. Low taxes, and considered far right on abortion. Actually a smear across the political spectrum. So I stay Independent.

Perplexing that he can see that the Democratic Party of 2016 isn't the party of Kennedy but not the Democratic Party of 2012 (which he volunteered for). Mesmerized by Obama I guess. Hillary learned the hard way that 2008 and 2012 were Obama's coalition; not the Democratic coalition. There are a lot of people like this out there.

Perplexing that he can see that the Democratic Party of 2016 isn't the party of Kennedy but not the Democratic Party of 2012 (which he volunteered for). Mesmerized by Obama I guess. Hillary learned the hard way that 2008 and 2012 were Obama's coalition; not the Democratic coalition. There are a lot of people like this out there.

Dems always believe in redistuvtion of wealth and central planning

The Onion gets it. Keep it up Dems

[twitter]https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/859437833945194500[/twitter]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Lol, Rs do too. They have different priorities, but they both redistribute wealth and centrally plan us to our detriment.

It's always been humorous to me that so many of the R's actually buy into the narrative that their party is "more" fiscally responsible.

Reactions: 8 people
Which is proving Septic's point.....but I guess that was your intent.

Yeah I was agreeing with him. There might some fiscal conservatives but not enough to make any real difference. Most fiscal conservatives like to ignore wasteful projects but instead take aim at various political things they or their constituents don't like.

True, but they can only give to you what they take from someone else.

Good sentiment. However, the Government ceased limiting spending to what was collected in taxes decades ago. The current trend is to print and borrow more money to increase spending. The only period where the Federal government spent less in the last 6 decades is when Clinton and Gingrich were running things.

Good sentiment. However, the Government ceased limiting spending to what was collected in taxes decades ago. The current trend is to print and borrow more money to increase spending. The only period where the Federal government spent less in the last 6 decades is when Clinton and Gingrich were running things.

I guess they're taking it from someone in the future.....or maybe they're taking it from no one.

VN Store

Back