Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers

Franklin Pierce

Making good on a promise to slash government, President-elect Trump has asked his incoming team to pursue spending and staffing cuts.

Insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent, numbers that would rock Washington if he follows through.

At least two so-called "landing teams" in Cabinet agencies have relayed the call for cuts as part of their marching orders to shrink the flab in government.

Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers | Washington Examiner

Reactions: 4 people
Ehhh....we've had a hiring freeze for the better part of a decade, while we are understaffed by about 25%.

Making good on a promise to slash government, President-elect Trump has asked his incoming team to pursue spending and staffing cuts.

Insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent, numbers that would rock Washington if he follows through.

At least two so-called "landing teams" in Cabinet agencies have relayed the call for cuts as part of their marching orders to shrink the flab in government.

Boom: Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers | Washington Examiner

I can get behind this and I hope he is successful.

Reactions: 1 person
Reduction by allowing the work force to retire and not filling those positions..Albeit with some democrats attrition might actually work.

You've gotten to the heart of my question. It is my hope that these are separate mandates. One, cut 20% of the federal workforce and, two, cut 10% from the budget.

Look for the dems to suddenly say the food supply will be compromise and will be dirty air

Last edited:

Sounds encouraging. Get rid of the entire DHS, IMO.

Look for the dams to suddenly say the food supply will be compromise and will be dirty air

Now I am not for compromising either, but there is too much waste in government.

The Post Office is only losing 5 billion or so per year, but it is a complete waste. Close it down.

Fed employees....not in Washington

Fed employees are down slightly, but under Obama fed contractors have exploded. Way more people on the govt payroll now than in 2008.

I'm still waiting for those 25% of fed employees to quit because Trump got elected.

Eh, demagogues never come to power lashing a whip over everyone's back.

They come to power promising everyone the whole world and initially implementing pragmatic improvements.

Wake me up when the rest of human history suddenly changes this time around.

Fed employees are down slightly, but under Obama fed contractors have exploded. Way more people on the govt payroll now than in 2008.

I'm still waiting for those 25% of fed employees to quit because Trump got elected.

What about 2008 compared to 2000?

I would say it increased due to OIF but those folks are gone with the drawdown so the increase from 08 onward can't be explained by the WOT.

VN Store

Back