Poll: How Much Are You Willing to Pay to Keep Jobs in the US

How Much Are You Willing to Pay

• Total voters

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I think everybody here agrees and understands that protectionism increases the costs of consumer goods. I think the division is found in the fact that nobody puts a number on the cost.

In 2014, Americans purchased more than $10T in consumer goods. That means a 5% increase in prices results in an extra cost of $500B to be distributed among 360M Americans ($1,388.89 per person).

So how much are you willing to pay?

And food for thought, what are we going to end up with?

How Americans Are Spending on Consumer Goods

Reactions: 1 person
keanu6.bmp

Or maybe:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
How much are the folks on some form of government assistance costing me?

Nothing. You'll pay the same taxes, regardless. That's the beauty of irresponsible government. Also, as Trump said when it wasn't about politics, free trade creates jobs in the long run.

Not surprised that nobody is answering the poll question.

Reactions: 4 people
Nothing. You'll pay the same taxes, regardless. That's the beauty of irresponsible government. Also, as Trump said when it wasn't about politics, free trade creates jobs in the long run.

The answer is: We all want a utopia, but no one is willing to pay for it. Plus most people harbor a nasty little secret. "I really don't care if my neighbor loses his manufacturing job as long as my job is safe." People only give a $hit about American jobs when it hits them personally. We are selfish people.

Reactions: 2 people
The answer is: We all want a utopia, but no one is willing to pay for it. Plus most people harbor a nasty little secret. "I really don't care if my neighbor loses his manufacturing job as long as my job is safe." People only give a $hit about American jobs when it hits them personally. We are selfish people.

I disagree with that, but I would agree that typically the strongest opponents of free trade are the ones who benefit most from protectionism.

It's not that nobody wants to answer the question, but rather the answer comes up as "purple unicorn" in the end. You can't put a figure on it because much of what is being predicted is "could be" and "might" in the answers. And there is no way of knowing for sure what will happen if some form of protectionism kicks in. Price increases aren't guaranteed from my somewhat limited understanding.

If this is a hypothetical exercise, my original answer applies because, again, one can't put a figure on it since the corresponding increase in protectionism would be naturally followed by wage increases and additional jobs here at home as compared to abroad, would it not?

I think everybody here agrees and understands that protectionism increases the costs of consumer goods. I think the division is found in the fact that nobody puts a number on the cost.

In 2014, Americans purchased more than $10T in consumer goods. That means a 5% increase in prices results in an extra cost of $500B to be distributed among 360M Americans ($1,388.89 per person).

One MILLION dollars, and yes it is nice being that wealthy.

$22k, huh? Must be nice being that wealthy.

It is. You should try it sometime.

Also just a little reminder that polls are terrible at returning actionable intelligence. Like how Clinton was killing Trump or how only 80 million people own 350 million guns.

Reactions: 3 people
It's not that nobody wants to answer the question, but rather the answer comes up as "purple unicorn" in the end. You can't put a figure on it because much of what is being predicted is "could be" and "might" in the answers. And there is no way of knowing for sure what will happen if some form of protectionism kicks in. Price increases aren't guaranteed from my somewhat limited understanding.

If this is a hypothetical exercise, my original answer applies because, again, one can't put a figure on it since the corresponding increase in protectionism would be naturally followed by wage increases and additional jobs here at home as compared to abroad, would it not?

This is a joke.

If you really believe wages are going to go up, then you should have no problem picking an answer in light of that. I can't include every possible consideration in my poll question, but you can still choose with your considerations in mind. That is the whole point.

And it doesn't "naturally follow" that protectionism results in wage increases. This is the type of thinking that led to the great depression (Smoot Hawley tariff).

OPs question is really dumb. The real question should be what are you willing to give up?

Me, I'd give up the federal minimum wage, federal OSHA, federal EPA, federal EEOC and some more. I'd also give up most all corporate taxes and mandatory health insurance.

I'm ready to sacrifice.

OPs question is really dumb. The real question should be what are you willing to give up?

Me, I'd give up the federal minimum wage, federal OSHA, federal EPA, federal EEOC and some more. I'd also give up most all corporate taxes and mandatory health insurance.

I'm ready to sacrifice.

You're a true patriot with those sacrifices.

Yous guys are so predictable. I knew you wouldn't answer.

It's costing us 153 billion.

Now recalculate your math and tell me where to send the check....

That's because the question is stupid. All you doom and gloom economists are ****ing hilarious, you probably believe a recount will overturn the results of the election as well. It's most satisfying watching you guys continue to melt down, carry on. 😂

This is a joke.

Oh, I didn't realize you were making a funny thread. Normally you are fairly serious about such things.

My bad.

If you really believe wages are going to go up, then you should have no problem picking an answer in light of that. I can't include every possible consideration in my poll question, but you can still choose with your considerations in mind. That is the whole point.

You are asking me to predict how much wages will increase off a protectionist trade policy?

Purple Unicorn.

There will likely be an inflationary period following said trade policies as the market resets itself to higher wages in the U.S or increased/decreased demand or certain products. As to the extent, who knows.

And it doesn't "naturally follow" that protectionism results in wage increases. This is the type of thinking that led to the great depression (Smoot Hawley tariff).

There were more than a few factors involved in the Depression. It wasn't just our nation, but most industrialized nations that ended up having serious economic downturns. You can't point to Smoot Hawley as the sole contributing factor of the Depression or to other nations going into the toilet. Even Friedman, who libertarians love to use as an example, said Smoot Hawley only had a contributory effect on the Depression. Bernanke won't even go as far as to say it was the sole reason.

It's costing us 153 billion.

Now recalculate your math and tell me where to send the check....

So you're willing to spend $500B (5% increase in consumer goods) to prevent a fraction of the $153B in welfare cost?

This is real easy math.

Your poll is ridiculous. It isn't that simple. It doesn't matter to me personally because I am not a big consumer, so 20% is fine if it results in a lower tax bill.

To prove it, consider the following,

Yes or no only: Have you stopped masturbating in the shower?

Taking the VP route and questioning patriotism, so I'll ask you what I've asked him. Just what the **** have you done or sacrificed for this country?

You're question is stupid! We don't need to pay to keep jobs, we need to reduce.

The Smoot Hawley tariff most definitely made a typical crash and recession into the Great Depression. There is no debate.

In May 1930, a petition was signed by 1,028 economists in the U.S. asking President Hoover to veto the legislation, organized by Paul Douglas, Irving Fisher, James TFG Wood, Frank Graham, Ernest Patterson, Henry Seager, Frank Taussig, and Clair Wilcox. Automobile executive Henry Ford spent an evening at the White House trying to convince Hoover to veto the bill, calling it "an economic stupidity." J. P. Morgan's chief executive Thomas W. Lamont said he "almost went down on [his] knees to beg Herbert Hoover to veto the asinine Hawley-Smoot tariff."

We're in a recession and we're following the idiot's playbook. Congratulations. We're going to repeat history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot–Hawley_Tariff_Act

Taking the VP route and questioning patriotism, so I'll ask you what I've asked him. Just what the **** have you done or sacrificed for this country?

You're question is stupid! We don't need to pay to keep jobs, we need to reduce.

So you actually don't agree that protectionism results in increases in prices of consumer goods?

Or you are saying Americans need to stop consuming so much in order to save American jobs? That argument kind of collapses on itself because we have to consume to support American jobs.

VN Store

Back