ESPN Gets Political, Loses 621,000 Subscribers

Franklin Pierce

The biggest business story in American sports this fall isn't the declining NFL ratings or anything that's happening on the field, court, or ice, it's the collapse in ESPN subscribers, which reflect a larger trend in the collapse of cable subscribers in general.

Yesterday Nielsen announced its subscriber numbers for November 2016 and those numbers were the worst in the history of ESPN's existence as a cable company -- the worldwide leader in sports lost 621,000 cable subscribers. That's the most subscribers ESPN has ever lost in a month according to Nielsen estimates and it represents a terrifying and troubling trend for the company, an acceleration of subscriber loss that represents a doubling of the average losses over the past couple of years, when ESPN has been losing in the neighborhood of 300,000 subscribers a month.

ESPN Loses 621,000 Subscribers; Worst Month in Company History | Outkick The Coverage

Reactions: 3 people
I used to watch ESPN ALL THE TIME.

I only flip it there fir college football or if the Seahawks are on a Monday night. I don't even go to the website anymore.

Reactions: 5 people
I used to watch ESPN ALL THE TIME.

I only flip it there fir college football or if the Seahawks are on a Monday night. I don't even go to the website anymore.

I only go to espn website to watch a replay of a game I might have missed while being out of town.

I do like to watch the replays of TN women's basketball games sometimes.

What does this have to do with politics?

their talk shows are now all political. watching is so much less enjoyable. obviously they aren't drawings crowds in but pushing them out and ESPN isn't learning. stick to what happens on the field, in practice or in contracts.

Reactions: 4 people
I have heard many people say that they are sick of how ESPN has adopted the Social Justice Warrior attitude with their programming.

Many people say they now only watch ESPN college football games, and none of their other programming. That is what I do.

their talk shows are now all political. watching is so much less enjoyable. obviously they aren't drawings crowds in but pushing them out and ESPN isn't learning. stick to what happens on the field, in practice or in contracts.

I have heard many people say that they are sick of how ESPN has adopted the Social Justice Warrior attitude with their programming.

Many people say they now only watch ESPN college football games, and none of their other programming. That is what I do.

So you're both still subscribers? In that case, ESPN has lost nothing. And if you're watching their live events, which are their revenue drivers, then you're helping to keep their advertising revenue up.

Put simply: ESPN isn't losing viewers that don't like their politics; they are losing viewers that don't like sports.

Reactions: 6 people
Not sure how you attribute this to their politics. What did they do that led to this record month of losses?

People are "shaving" on their TV services, more and more. All the big cable channels are suffering. The higher the package, the more drops.

The industry is transforming and you're watching a dinosaur die.

Not sure how you attribute this to their politics. What did they do that led to this record month of losses?

People are "shaving" on their TV services, more and more. All the big cable channels are suffering. The higher the package, the more drops.

100% accurate

Reactions: 1 person

Part of the subscriber loss is certainly due to cutting the cord, but a lot of people do not like their new Social Justice Warrior programming.

Cutting the cord is not as easy and great as some people like to say it is.

The dinosaur may eventually die, but it will not happen in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 2 people
And just coincidental that NFL viewership is way down? And coincidental that ESPN covered with an overtly political angle?

There's definitely some causality.

If you look at the demos the NFL hasn't lost loyalty or interest with gen x or baby boomers. Milenials are tuning out at a record pace and they are also the ones cutting cords the fastest.

And just coincidental that NFL viewership is way down? And coincidental that ESPN covered with an overtly political angle?

There's definitely some causality.

Sure, it could be that. Or it could be that 2016 has produced some of the worst prime time matchups in years.

Reactions: 3 people
If you look at the demos the NFL hasn't lost loyalty or interest with gen x or baby boomers. Milenials are tuning out at a record pace and they are also the ones cutting cords the fastest.

And millenials are the demo most likely to be in tune with ESPN's political angle.

The same exact pollsters found that 80% of respondents supported Kaepernick's right to protest, and less than of those feel he is choosing the wrong method of protest.

Sometimes you have to look at the polling methodology before drawing too many conclusions.

Americans Show Disapproval of Kaepernick’s Actions But Support His Right to Protest | Sports Polling

The big issue with the poll you cited is that the respondents weren't asked if they had stopped watching the NFL. They were given a list of seven factors and were asked to give a yes or no as to whether each one might be a factor in declining viewership.

So, none of the respondents actually said they'd stopped watching, and if they had stopped watching, why.

Last edited:
I watch sports on ESPN. I don't watch anything else. I got tired of guys with eight concussions and half a PE degree telling me how society should work. They have lost a ton of talent, I don't think that's a coincidence.

This is not necessarily all to do with politics. It has a lot to do with people like myself cutting the cord.

Having said that, I use to love ESPN particularly SportsCenter. Now, it's totally unwatchable. Not just from the political angle, but mostly from the talking heads/storyline angle. It was awesome when it was pretty much nothing but highlights and funny commentary while playing the highlights. Those days seem long gone. Sad!

Reactions: 6 people
So you're both still subscribers? In that case, ESPN has lost nothing. And if you're watching their live events, which are their revenue drivers, then you're helping to keep their advertising revenue up.

Put simply: ESPN isn't losing viewers that don't like their politics; they are losing viewers that don't like sports.

add revenue off of hits. I have never had cable, but I have thought about getting it, the only thing I would use it for is sports. Yet I can't stand watching ESPN 90% of the fall, which is the only time I would have watched it. It has gotten so bad where it has kept me away, and price isn't an issue right now for me.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back