Trump Calls For Sweeping Washington Reform

Franklin Pierce

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Tuesday called for sweeping Washington reform including term limits for congressional lawmakers, telling supporters “it’s time to drain the swamp.”

Under Trump's proposal, members of the House of Representatives would serve a maximum of six years, while Senators would be limited to 12 years in office.

“Decades of special interests, decades of failure must come to an end,” said Trump, who vowed, if elected, to try to impose the term limits through a constitutional amendment.

He wants to re-institute a ban to prevent Executive Branch officials from lobbying the government for five years after they leave government service and to ensure the ban cannot be lifted by executive order.

Trump also wants Congress to institute its own five-year lobby ban for members and their staff.

And he wants to close “loopholes” that he says allow former congressional and Executive Branch officials to lobby while calling themselves consultants and advisers.

Trump is also calling for a lifetime ban on senior Executive Branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government and for Congress to pass campaign-finance reform to keep registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in U.S. elections.

“In 21 days … we are going to end the government corruption and drain the swamp in Washington, D.C.,” Trump repeated.

Trump calls for congressional term limits, lobbyist crackdown | Fox News

Reactions: 1 person
Hmm Donald Trump has now given me one solid reason to vote for him. If (and it is obviously a big "if") he could enact that change, the rest of his disastrous reign as president could possibly be worth it.

Reactions: 2 people
Hmm Donald Trump has now given me one solid reason to vote for him. If (and it is obviously a big "if") he could enact that change, the rest of his disastrous reign as president could possibly be worth it.

Do you honestly see Congress voting for something that would limit their power?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but that's like climbing Mt Everest in flip flops in the dead of winter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but that's like climbing Mt Everest in flip flops in the dead of winter.

Right. It won't happen, but it would still be nice to have a prez who used a big megaphone to call out these crooked lifers. Whether or not he would actually do that once elected is definitely up in the air.

Right. It won't happen, but it would still be nice to have a prez who used a big megaphone to call out these crooked lifers. Whether or not he would actually do that once elected is definitely up in the air.

I agree. And I'd love to see it just to watch Congress wiggle and squirm in coming up with excuses as to why it's a bad idea. And show the voters their true colors.

Nothing to see here. According to CNN, Congress already has term limits...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZkF54EnnA[/youtube]

Nothing to see here. According to CNN, Congress already has term limits...

While I am personally supportive, a wise man reminded me earlier today that we already have a term limit mechanism in place.

While I am personally supportive, a wise man reminded me earlier today that we already have a term limit mechanism in place.

Yeah well, the problem is that no one ever believes it's their guy (or gal) who is to blame.

I might bump those proposed limits by one additional term, just because there is value in institutional knowledge, but on the whole I support the idea.

Still not sure I'm okay with a guy who brags that he spent many millions of dollars buying influence to now complain about it, but that's a different subject.

Yeah well, the problem is that no one ever believes it's their guy (or gal) who is to blame.

Of course. It's just sad and funny that we ***** about career politicians when we, as an electorate, already have the power to limit.

Of course. It's just sad and funny that we ***** about career politicians when we, as an electorate, already have the power to limit.

I hate to say it, but I'll say it.

Sometimes when adults act like children, they need to be treated like children. And if that's setting term limits because the electorate won't vote the scumbags out, sometimes drastic measures are needed.

And that children comment has a certain duality to it as well since he can apply equally to both the electorate as well as Congress.

Sometimes when adults act like children, they need to be treated like children. And if that's setting term limits because the electorate won't vote the scumbags out, sometimes drastic measures are needed.

And that children comment has a certain duality to it as well since he can apply equally to both the electorate as well as Congress.

So the only ways to do this are by Congress passing a law, which they won't, or by Constitutional Convention, which would be an unmitigated disaster?

So the only ways to do this are by Congress passing a law, which they won't, or by Constitutional Convention, which would be an unmitigated disaster?

Purple. No clear answers.

But it certainly will show the true colors of Congress to vote it down. And again, I'd love to hear the excuses they come up with in trying to rationalize their opposition to it.

Purple. No clear answers.

But it certainly will show the true colors of Congress to vote it down. And again, I'd love to hear the excuses they come up with in trying to rationalize their opposition to it.

They'll never vote it down because it will never come up for a vote.

Absolutely true. This is an example of Americans refusing to take responsibility and shifting blame. We are a bunch of whining, selfish children. And, again, we're getting exactly what we deserve.

Reactions: 3 people
Absolutely true. This is an example of Americans refusing to take responsibility and shifting blame. We are a bunch of whining, selfish children. And, again, we're getting exactly what we deserve.

Exactly!!! The majority of Americans could care less in regards to what their congressman or senator has done since in office. They piss and moan every year but then vote on name or party recognition. People refuse to take time to do some research and find out what the person stands for

Congress wouldn't propose and certainly wouldn't vote for term limits. It would take a Constitutional Amendment. Those in power will NEVER agree to limit their power.

It was a screw up in not ensuring that states could check the power of the federal government. Britain figured out the creeping federalism in the EU. Lincoln initiated a war when southern states protested federal tyranny.

There are no easy answers, but for starters I have a real objection to ex-legislator lobbyists with retirement benefits of their time in office while essentially continuing the job from the inside/outside without any oversight or pretense that they are abiding to the will of the people. Lobbying for special interests after a legislative career is a conflict of interest and a perfect relationship for bribe and payback - simply a dirty, incestuous relationship.

Exactly!!! The majority of Americans could care less in regards to what their congressman or senator has done since in office. They piss and moan every year but then vote on name or party recognition. People refuse to take time to do some research and find out what the person stands for

Isn't that the same for presidential elections

VN Store

Back