Donald Trump's ETHICS REFORM Proposal

Franklin Pierce

In the wake of the Wikileaks scandal and the release of FBI interview notes suggesting a “quid pro quo” offer between the State Department and the FBI in the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Monday released an outline of an ethics reform proposal.

The plan, according to the outline, is to “drain the swamp in Washington, D.C.” The five point plan even drew praise from noted #NeverTrump Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse, who said Trump’s proposal was “making a serious ethics reform proposal here.”

The proposal includes a plan to “re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service.” Rather than do this through executive order, as most executive lobbying bans have done, Trump wants Congress to pass it into law so “it cannot be lifted by executive order.”

Second, Trump will ask Congress to pass the same lobbying ban on itself and Congressional staffers.

Read more: Trump's Ethics Reform Wins Praise From NeverTrump Senator | The Daily Caller

Reactions: 4 people
Great idea what makes former Senate and House members so valuable to lobbyists is that they are allowed to go into the halls even after leaving office...they should also stop this practice...it's a citizen Congress then they should be treated like regular people after they leave.

Reactions: 1 person
1. this is a good idea
2. kinda ironic/comical coming from Trump

trump-bribe-politicians.jpg

Here's the link to the actual proposals on the Trump website:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/trump-pledges-to-drain-the-swamp

First: I am going to institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government after they leave government service.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.

And last, but certainly not least:

If I am elected President, I will push for a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress.

Why, oh why didn't he lead off with things like this during the primaries? The man is an enigma. If he ran on such things and had in depth discussions on his proposals, he would be beating Hillary handily. As well as keeping his fingers off the Twitter button of course.

dear God GV. actual policy. that has no place in the political forum.

and it sounds pretty good. someone has really been working with him to get him to say he will ask Congress to do such and such; instead of just making broad statements of "it will be done"

dear God GV. actual policy. that has no place in the political forum.

and it sounds pretty good. someone has really been working with him to get him to say he will ask Congress to do such and such; instead of just making broad statements of "it will be done"

One has to wonder if it's too little too late.

Five bucks to one it gets brought up at the next debate.

If I am Trump every time they ask about something I said I bring up some of these policies.

Term limits are an initiative I could get behind. Too bad he's found his rational side after a year and a half of bizzarro, look-at-me campaigning.

Reactions: 2 people
Term limits are an initiative I could get behind. Too bad he's found his rational side after a year and a half of bizzarro, look-at-me campaigning.

if he had been pushing this from the start I think he is winning by a large margin, even with the scandals. I think this type of change sells well to both the conservatives and a lot of the undecided and probably some of the Bernie crowd.

but as you said, too little too late probably.

This is actually a brilliant move by his campaign. The content resonates and the timing is perfect leading into the final head to head. His opponent cannot win on this topic as she is the living embodiment of political corruption. If he stays on point and pushes this at every opportunity he can score points and momentum with a wider audience.

This should be his main point of emphasis tonight. Hillary will try to sidetrack him, but if he stays to the message, it's a message just about everyone agrees with. The only people who don't are the career politicians and the lobbyists/special interest groups that fuel the corrupt, broken system. This is also an area where Trump could make huge gains with the Bernie supporters.

These are good ideas that I would support. They're so good in fact they'll never see the floor of congress.

seriously why was he not pushing this from the beginning? even if its just lip service this would have all types of people willing to vote for him.

These are good ideas that I would support. They're so good in fact they'll never see the floor of congress.

This is the sad thing.

I can't see this getting enough support from either side of the aisle to pass unless they add in dozens of small amendments and loopholes onto the end of it to raise their salaries and make sure they can't get into too much trouble for this kind of thing.

This is actually a brilliant move by his campaign. The content resonates and the timing is perfect leading into the final head to head. His opponent cannot win on this topic as she is the living embodiment of political corruption. If he stays on point and pushes this at every opportunity he can score points and momentum with a wider audience.

Hillary can sidetrack it by agreeing with the concept.

and it appeals to directly to independents..he is only getting around 80% of the GOP vote..he is picking up more Dem votes than normal but not nearly enough

and it appeals to directly to independents..he is only getting around 80% of the GOP vote..he is picking up more Dem votes than normal but not nearly enough

If you look at history the majority of presidential debates do not matter. Most people have made their mind up long ago and the debates rarely change their mind. A small percentage of voters may be swayed and in a close election this may make a difference but usually not. This election has been such a $$$$ show that by now I don't expect this debate to get high ratings like the first one.

I guess only time will tell but unless something crazy happens, Trump will be on the outside looking in come Election Day

VN Store

Back