Illegal Immigration From Central America Soars

Franklin Pierce

More than 408,000 illegal immigrants were detained on the Mexican border last year - up from about 331,000 - but the number of Mexicans trying to get into the U.S. has gone down.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the 24 percent rise was due to the increasing number of Central Americans fleeing poverty and violence in Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

The number of unaccompanied children illegally entering the United States across the border also jumped by 49 percent.

Read more: Illegal immigration in the US soars by 24% with over 400,000 people stopped at the border | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reactions: 1 person
Says the guy who thinks they are worthless...meanwhile the market is begging them to move here, because of their value.

You post this as if we don't have plenty of work force capable people sitting on their backsides collecting welfare instead of doing those jobs.

Reactions: 9 people
You post this as if we don't have plenty of work force capable people sitting on their backsides collecting welfare instead of doing those jobs.

My point has nothing to do with this. The ideas that immigrants have value to our economy and that we have a capable workforce are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: 2 people
Of course you'd take in people that care nothing of this country over Americans that have protected it...

Makes sense...

"Caring" about the USA isn't the only thing that matters.

Your assumption that they don't care is stupid. Plenty of them care and want to be Americans and are proud when it happens. Hell, some of them even root for USA over their home country's national team, which is just mind-blowing. I will never root for anybody over Tennessee....even if I live in another place 100 years.

Some of these same people who refuse to work have no issues with collecting unemployment OR they feel they are above a certain job. I've known a few individuals who were offered jobs but said it wasn't worth their time. I guess if you put money in one and hand and pride in the other, pride is more important to some. Grand these are people with No education, yet feel they're above make 10-15 dollars an hour.

I think welfare has become an epidemic in this country. There are way to many people who are able to work but just refuse. I believe people on welfare should have to take physicals every 6 months to see if they have the capability to be employeed. Add in drug tests with that as well. If you pass the physical then welfare is cut off, if you fail the drug test then welfare is cut off. It may cost the gov't a few dollars but the amount they will save from handing out free money will decrease

Last edited:
My point has nothing to do with this. The ideas that immigrants have value to our economy and that we have a capable workforce are not mutually exclusive.

Yes they are.

Without a workforce, we have no economy. No economy, no workforce. And as SCV pointed out, people believe they are above certain jobs. Hence why immigrants (illegal or legal) and/or H-1B visa holders are holding down jobs that Americans very well could (and likely should) be doing. However, feel they are above such menial work because they have a degree in English Literature or Women's Studies and deserve better than manual labor. And the debt piles on and on and on.

Anyway, those illegal aliens from south of the border are coming here to do the work that (some) Americans feel they are too good for. And we as a society, as well as the government, has allowed them to get by with it.

Reactions: 6 people
More than 408,000 illegal immigrants were detained on the Mexican border last year - up from about 331,000 - but the number of Mexicans trying to get into the U.S. has gone down.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the 24 percent rise was due to the increasing number of Central Americans fleeing poverty and violence in Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

The number of unaccompanied children illegally entering the United States across the border also jumped by 49 percent.

Read more: Illegal immigration in the US soars by 24% with over 400,000 people stopped at the border | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And we are supposed to believe that these people cover upwards of a thousand miles in tropical and desert climates without help. I'd be betting Catholic charities and possibly state sponsored agencies are in it up to their eyeballs. Ever noticed when the news networks showed them flocking across the US border how clean and healthy they were looking - not starved, dehydrated, or in tattered or dirty clothes.

And we are supposed to believe that these people cover upwards of a thousand miles in tropical and desert climates without help. I'd be betting Catholic charities and possibly state sponsored agencies are in it up to their eyeballs. Ever noticed when the news networks showed them flocking across the US border how clean and healthy they were looking - not starved, dehydrated, or in tattered or dirty clothes.

Easy now, you're letting your conspiracy side show. Just kidding. If anyone believes all of these people get into the US without our help and blessing then I have some prime oceanfront property in downtown Knoxville I can sell you.

Easy now, you're letting your conspiracy side show. Just kidding. If anyone believes all of these people get into the US without our help and blessing then I have some prime oceanfront property in downtown Knoxville I can sell you.

Isn't it amazing though how nobody seems to address the logistics - particularly in light of the Mexican laws regarding illegal immigration? Are we to assume Mexico is completely inept, turning a blind eye, a recipient of payoffs, or a willing sponsor for whatever reason?

Yes they are.

Without a workforce, we have no economy. No economy, no workforce. And as SCV pointed out, people believe they are above certain jobs. Hence why immigrants (illegal or legal) and/or H-1B visa holders are holding down jobs that Americans very well could (and likely should) be doing. However, feel they are above such menial work because they have a degree in English Literature or Women's Studies and deserve better than manual labor. And the debt piles on and on and on.

Anyway, those illegal aliens from south of the border are coming here to do the work that (some) Americans feel they are too good for. And we as a society, as well as the government, has allowed them to get by with it.

How are they mutually exclusive? Even if we had 3% unemployment (which is essentially as close to 0 as you can get), we would still demand immigrant labor.

Yes they are.

You both appear to be on the same side of the argument and recognize that the problem is that most of these immigrants are filling in jobs that more spoiled/entitled American workers refuse to take. I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

Isn't it amazing though how nobody seems to address the logistics - particularly in light of the Mexican laws regarding illegal immigration? Are we to assume Mexico is completely inept, turning a blind eye, a recipient of payoffs, or a willing sponsor for whatever reason?

I think some just want to think Mexico is the innocent bystander in all of this. They dont have a clue. Yeah right. The US government knows about all of this and so does the Mexican government. America wants these people and has the Mecican govt in its pocket.

How are they mutually exclusive? Even if we had 3% unemployment (which is essentially as close to 0 as you can get), we would still demand immigrant labor.

A demand yes, but not so great as to "need" millions of illegal immigrants before putting our own population to work. There is always a "need" for immigration to help our culture and nation grow as well as probably some technical skills, so long as it's controlled and, again, people already living here aren't abusing the system.

And my mistake on misunderstanding what you meant by mutually exclusive. I thought you were saying illegal immigration wasn't mutually exclusive from the workforce problems. It's connected, but is a standalone problem from students getting worthless degrees and incurring massive amounts of debt as well as employers hiring illegals as cheap labor.

You both appear to be on the same side of the argument and recognize that the problem is that most of these immigrants are filling in jobs that more spoiled/entitled American workers refuse to take. I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

We do have the great liberal thinkers telling us that college is for everyone and that they should rise above the menial - somehow neglecting that not everything is done by robotics that require more "skilled" minds to develop, program, and maintain. And then there is the other liberal institution - that great "entitled" half the population - entitled to the redistribution of the income of those who do produce - sometimes with their own hands. The great liberal fantasy land where differing and opposing philosophies can exist in perfect harmony while everybody else attempts to make it all work.

VN Store

Back