One In Five Americans Now Speak Language Other Than English

Franklin Pierce

A record amount of Americans now speak a language other than English at home, with dramatic increases in the number of Arabic speakers.

According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau's 2015 American Community Survey, analyzed by the Center for Immigration Studies, there are now 64.7million Americans over the age of five who speak at least one language other than English. That's one in five Americans.

The amount is staggering compared to 1990, when less than half that amount (31.8million Americans) reported speaking a second language. And the number of foreign language speaking Americans today is triple the number back in 1980.

Read more: Census data shows a 5th of Americans now speak a language other than English at home | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reactions: 1 person
I'd like to speak another language fluently. I decided to study Latin back in the day; wish I'd chosen Spanish. Still have time I suppose.

Reactions: 4 people
I'd like to speak another language fluently. I decided to study Latin back in the day; wish I'd chosen Spanish. Still have time I suppose.

I'm currently beginning in Russian, but it's going to be incredibly difficult. I'm not only trying to teach myself but am having to learn a new alphabet. I may end up having to hire a personal teacher.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm currently beginning in Russian, but it's going to be incredibly difficult. I'm not only trying to teach myself but am having to learn a new alphabet. I may end up having to hire a personal teacher.

Communiss

I'm fine with people speaking their native tongue at their house, but they need to speak English in public.

I agree with this. English is an important part of our cultural history and closely aligned with the Anglo-Protestant work ethic and liberal (small "l") culture that made this country great. Anyone can be a part of this tradition, but s/he should make efforts to participate in and to contribute to it.

You mean in the courtroom and in math class? Or do you mean everywhere that is public?

Our primary language is English correct? Everyone trying to become a citizen needs to learn English. So yes in courtroom and math class the need to speak English. If they struggle then they can have help. For instance in the math class the can come to the teacher sometime before or after class with a translator and get more help but during class it needs to be English.

I have no problem with a higher percentage of the population being multilingual. This is actually a very good thing, in my opinion.

That said, a very concerning part of the census data is the 40% of these folks who do not speak English very well.

I have no problem with a higher percentage of the population being multilingual. This is actually a very good thing, in my opinion.

That said, a very concerning part of the census data is the 40% of these folks who do not speak English very well.

I don't think it means our population is becoming more educated by learning a second language. It just means more people coming here that don't speak English. Think what that 40% does to our educational system. Think about how much money is spent on ESL teachers, conforming the curriculum, accommodating these students. And then test scores are low and we wonder why. We are spending a lot of resources catching these kids up and it's dragging the other kids down.

I don't think it means our population is becoming more educated by learning a second language. It just means more people coming here that don't speak English. Think what that 40% does to our educational system. Think about how much money is spent on ESL teachers, conforming the curriculum, accommodating these students. And then test scores are low and we wonder why. We are spending a lot of resources catching these kids up and it's dragging the other kids down.

Sure, and that's why I called out the 40%. It certainly presents challenges, especially in education.

It's good to identify specific issues, but let's be careful about framing a growing multilingual population as a net negative. Speaking more than one language fluently can open up greater opportunity in our global economy.

oh no, more, intelligent Americans. We need to stay dumb!

I am really sorry but how is another language being spoken a bad thing? its a marketable skill, a very very very good one to have.

As stated above, it's not Americans speaking 2 or more languages. It's immigrants (legal or not) that are speaking their native language.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back