Maryville police officer shot and killed

I have respect for honest cops who care about their community and the laws they are entrusted to uphold uniformly regardless of any personal bias. This cop seems to be one of those officers and leaving behind 3 children is heart-rending.

With that said, cops don't even make Top 10 dangerous jobs in the nation. 11.1/100,000 deaths per year. That is an on-job death rate that is half of truck drivers. Using 2013 numbers, only 31 of the 100 deaths were due to shooting. 31 shot out of 900,000 uniformed officers in the country.

So, let's cut the "hero worship" of cops. They're civil servants with a difficult job but they're on the giving end of a firearm far more often than the receiving end.

I don't get how some folks here can be so adamantly against government incursion and turn around and hero worship the direct implementations of government authority.

Personally I'm a lot more concerned about the uparming and militarization (without training and proper restraint) of municipal police forces. Cops are now better armed than the Marine Corps 10 years ago.

Reactions: 15 people
I have respect for honest cops who care about their community and the laws they are entrusted to uphold uniformly regardless of any personal bias. This cop seems to be one of those officers and leaving behind 3 children is heart-rending.

With that said, cops don't even make Top 10 dangerous jobs in the nation. 11.1/100,000 deaths per year. That is an on-job death rate that is half of truck drivers. Using 2013 numbers, only 31 of the 100 deaths were due to shooting. 31 shot out of 900,000 uniformed officers in the country.

So, let's cut the "hero worship" of cops. They're civil servants with a difficult job but they're on the giving end of a firearm far more often than the receiving end.

I don't get how some folks here can be so adamantly against government incursion and turn around and hero worship the direct implementations of government authority.

Personally I'm a lot more concerned about the uparming and militarization (without training and proper restraint) of municipal police forces. Cops are now better armed than the Marine Corps 10 years ago.

Why does that matter to this cop or any other that dies in the line of duty doing their job?

Reactions: 1 person

That's just deaths....why not include the statistics for being shot at and attacked with other weapons or maybe even physically assaulted. As far as my understanding the two that were shot at had on vests which would normally save their life but in this instance did not. Im sure you might feel differently if you were to have to put yourself in the line of fire.

I respect all our first responders as they typically have to deal with some of the worst that our society has to offer.(both people and the event they are responding too)

That's just deaths....why not include the statistics for being shot at and attacked with other weapons or maybe even physically assaulted. As far as my understanding the two that were shot at had on vests which would normally save their life but in this instance did not. Im sure you might feel differently if you were to have to put yourself in the line of fire.

I respect all our first responders as they typically have to deal with some of the worst that our society has to offer.(both people and the event they are responding too)

I have been fired at and I don't feel any differently, thanks.

Cops have a hard and often thankless job but facts, not feels, show it isn't anywhere as dangerous most think.

That also will not distract the larger conversation (not in this specific instance but overall) about militarization of police, lack of training, lack of impartial oversight in cases of use of force and overall divergence from cops as civil servants to authoritative overlords.

While not all cops are a holes, most aren't. 900k would be a lot of undertrained and overworked a holes... There is a community involvement problem. I know some cops and they don't see themselves as "paragons of law and virtue and servants of the people". They see themselves as "us" and the civilians and subjects. It's pretty disgusting. They think because I was in the military and I don't speak out against them that I think like them.

Reactions: 7 people

Cops have a hard and often thankless job but facts, not feels, show it isn't anywhere as dangerous most think.

That also will not distract the larger conversation (not in this specific instance but overall) about militarization of police, lack of training, lack of impartial oversight in cases of use of force and overall divergence from cops as civil servants to authoritative overlords.

While not all cops are a holes, most aren't. 900k would be a lot of undertrained and overworked a holes... There is a community involvement problem. I know some cops and they don't see themselves as "paragons of law and virtue and servants of the people". They see themselves as "us" and the civilians and subjects. It's pretty disgusting. They think because I was in the military and I don't speak out against them that I think like them.

They probably feel that way around you. And rightfully so. He's a hero and he died serving his community.

Reactions: 2 people

Sounds like someone got a ticket.

Back to the police officer who was shot and killed.

Terrible that he had to give his life to do his duty trying to protect the rest of us from some bad folks that walk among us. Prayers for his family and his brothers and sisters in law enforcement in Blount County, it's going to be a difficult time for them.

Cops deal with the sh** of our society. Period. Without the extreme amount of these disgusting, vile, selfish pos there would be no need for them.

And, they are people, there will be some bad apples. But, anyone who doesn't understand how many pos low grade humans that exist just within 1 city, let alone this country, need to open their eyes.

Reactions: 3 people
Cops deal with the sh** of our society. Period. Without the extreme amount of these disgusting, vile, selfish pos there would be no need for them.

And, they are people, there will be some bad apples. But, anyone who doesn't understand how many pos low grade humans that exist just within 1 city, let alone this country, need to open their eyes.

This is true and hard for the more sheltered posters to understand.

Save your stats and political bull**** for another thread.

Reactions: 4 people
Looking at the suspect I bet meth was involved. I bet legal drugs would have saved his life...

No offense intended but that's the dumbest thing I have probably read on VN in a long time. I assume you know nothing about the military. Better armed that the Marines 10 years ago? Do you think Marines were using bolt action rifles and bayonets 10 years ago?

Better armed than an Air Force Helo mechanic, sure..

Looking at the suspect I bet meth was involved. I bet legal drugs would have saved his life...

The call had nothing to with drugs. It was a domestic dispute. Cops has already been there earlier in the day.

This is where out justice system is screwed up. He killed a cop in cold blood. There is no defense. He should be executed at sunrise.

Reactions: 2 people
YEAH. We don't won't no facts up in here

No, you're just disrepting an officer who was killed dumbazz. Plenty of other active threads to debate, instead of insulting the life and service of an officer who was just gunned down claiming his job isn't as dangerous as a truck drivers. Yes, get that **** out of here.

No, you're just disrepting an officer who was killed dumbazz. Plenty of other active threads to debate, instead of insulting the life and service of an officer who was just gunned down claiming his job isn't as dangerous as a truck drivers. Yes, get that **** out of here.

Who here disrespected this specific cop? Nobody I've seen.

You made a claim that cops (in general) have a dangerous job and someone else claimed it's especially bad in the Obama administration. Both are patently false. US crime as well as PO deaths are way down overall. Yeah, BLM is a travesty and has incited killings but you must filter out emotion.

This is an insular thread about a local cop who seemed to be in the majority of cops. Devoted to family and community and was unjustly killed by a POS.

However, this isn't his wake. This is the politics forum so if you make an outlandish claim that is rebuked with facts, don't just drop back and appeal to emotions to prove you're right.

Cops don't have anywhere near as dangerous a job as most think. It is more dangerous than folding shirts at macys, sure, but it's not even as dangerous as driving a truck. And that's a very good thing for them end everyone involved.

Reactions: 7 people
Who here disrespected this specific cop? Nobody I've seen.

You made a claim that cops (in general) have a dangerous job and someone else claimed it's especially bad in the Obama administration. Both are patently false. US crime as well as PO deaths are way down overall. Yeah, BLM is a travesty and has incited killings but you must filter out emotion.

This is an insular thread about a local cop who seemed to be in the majority of cops. Devoted to family and community and was unjustly killed by a POS.

However, this isn't his wake. This is the politics forum so if you make an outlandish claim that is rebuked with facts, don't just drop back and appeal to emotions to prove you're right.

Cops don't have anywhere near as dangerous a job as most think. It is more dangerous than folding shirts at macys, sure, but it's not even as dangerous as driving a truck. And that's a very good thing for them end everyone involved.
Great. Thanks for your contributions.I'm sure it's real comforting to the families of officers that their job isn't as dangerous as driving a truck. Oh wait, no it isnt. Its INSULTING to the sacrifice of this officer. The thread title is about this officer.
There are other ACTIVE threads about this subject.

I wouldnt disreapect Gramps thread by talking about cancer statistics and how more people die in the world from intesitnal ailments. It's insulting, and the fact you can't see it is concerning.
I'm trying to remember the last time a group of truck drivers were targeted by a gunmen. It skips my mind.
But thanks!

Last edited:

2016 stats with the officer killed today is 78 officers killed in the line of duty with 39 now by gunfire.

An officer goes to work and someone could actually try and kill them everyday. So it's a little different than a truck driver climbing in his rig to haul a load and is killed in an accident.

2016 stats with the officer killed today is 78 officers killed in the line of duty with 39 now by gunfire.

An officer goes to work and someone could actually try and kill them everyday. So it's a little different than a truck driver climbing in his rig to haul a load and is killed in an accident.

Yep I don't think just dying is what determines a dangerous job.... That just means the safety measures such as vests are working to prevent death... They still got shot at and physically attacked at a high rate compared to other jobs.

VN Store

Back