University of Chicago: No Safe Spaces Here

VolnJC

CquWiYSVYAAhSRg.jpg

University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support 'trigger warnings,' 'safe spaces' - Washington Times

Reactions: 5 people
Good for UC.

When I taught, the only two things I ever did that could be remotely construed as "trigger warnings" were acknowledging on the course syllabus that one of my topics classes addressed violence and violent material, so it was not for those who found such things offensive, and warning students - typically only right before pressing "Play" that the film segment we were about to dissect in class used a lot of cursive and/or demeaning language that some might find offensive.

But that's really just what ought to be considered good taste, not necessarily a "warning."

While his effort should be applauded, I can see the attacks against him as a privileged straight white male and how that instantly discounts his opinion.

This could end up like Mizzou (who is hemorrhaging deans and other positions of leadership.)

Proud to say I hold a masters from that fine institution. It's actually not a very liberal school, despite being located in Hyde Park. The law school is actually pretty conservative. (Yes I know Obama taught there.)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back