Will the Fed go to negative rates?

6 months from now, will Yellen and the Fed have gone to negative rates?

• Total voters
It needs to be moved up and start easing as slow as possible into the inevitable correction.

If you were the Fed Chairman, what would you do with the lending rates?

I think predictability has great value right now. So 25 basis points in September with statement that plan is 25 two quarters down the line, then reevaluate. Build in the expectation.

Reactions: 2 people

I would lay out a plan to raise the rate by .25% every 6 months until the rate = 5 or 6 percent. Plan would allow for adjustment for cataclysms. Take our lumps now.

Reactions: 1 person
I would lay out a plan to raise the rate by .25% every 6 months until the rate = 5 or 6 percent. Plan would allow for adjustment for cataclysms. Take our lumps now.

They won't do anything until after Trump is Predident. That way they can blame it on him.

Reactions: 5 people

I'm with you, Danl. Why would you raise it?

For one, we need to stop punishing folks that have the gumption to save some money, without forcing them to "invest" it in the horse track, errr..., I mean stock market.

It's going to take years for rates to normalize therefore with inflation.. You are losing money

The U.S. cant afford 5 or 6% interest. We'd be paying over 1 trillion dollars each year just in interest on the debt. The incredibly low interest rates are why the U.S. has been able to continue to spend spend spend! Normalize the rates and there is no more U.S. economy. It's either hyper inflate the currency or default.

Last edited:
For one, we need to stop punishing folks that have the gumption to save some money, without forcing them to "invest" it in the horse track, errr..., I mean stock market.

I agree, folks with a lifetime fiduciary responsibility to take care of those so injured they can't take care of themselves need to be able to responsibly and conservatively manage funds without banks fee charging the principal out of existence. That's criminal IMHO.

Would those that voted "No way they would go negative" care to comment after today's market action?

I think predictability has great value right now. So 25 basis points in September with statement that plan is 25 two quarters down the line, then reevaluate. Build in the expectation.

Was today part of that market preparation for a 25 bp hike?

Was today part of that market preparation for a 25 bp hike?

I think it's more just the uncertainty of it. I am sure that if there's a single hike, the markets will take a hit. I'll buy then, for sure. Because while utilities and others will go down, banking will bounce. Like Brexit, within two weeks and no calamity, the market will pick it all back up. Just got to time it right for max value.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back