Night Riders of Reelfoot Lake

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Tennessee is serious when it comes to our lakes, the story of Reelfoot Lake and the Night Riders - OffBeat TennesseeOffBeat Tennessee

Reelfoot Lake - Nightriders
Nightriders
In the early 20th century, the Reelfoot area was marked by widespread lawlessness and "Night Riding", which resulted in the deployment of the state militia by governor of Tennessee Malcolm R. Patterson.[2] The troubles began when a group of landowners purchased almost the entire shoreline of the lake. They formed the West Tennessee Land Company to enforce what they saw to be their legal rights, including the ownership of the lake itself, and most importantly its fishing rights. Most of the Night Riders were from families that had derived much of their living from fishing the lake for generations, joined by their friends and supporters.

Two attorneys engaged by the West Tennessee Land Company to enforce its claims were seized by the Night Riders. A contemporary front-page account in the Nashville Banner tells that one lawyer, Captain Quentin Rankin, was murdered by being hanged and then shot, while the other, Colonel R. Z. Taylor — grandfather of author Peter Taylor — escaped by swimming across the lake in the dark while being fired upon by Night Riders. Colonel Taylor was first reported killed, but later confirmed to have escaped.[3][4][5] This violence in 1908 caused the governor to call out the militia to restore order. The alleged murderers were arrested, unsuccessfully tried, and charges were eventually dropped. The lake was soon declared to be part of the public domain, which guaranteed the right of the public to use it regardless of who owned the land adjacent to it. A system of parks, wildlife refuges, recreation areas, and public boat ramps was eventually developed through federal-state cooperation.

Reactions: 1 person
I was in Union City this morning. I am very familiar with this bit of history. The book is a great read.

Trust me the locals around the lake still look at this as a land grab. And during duck season you do not cross them. Reelfoot is a special place. Worth a visit if you are in the area. Go to Boyette's and eat catfish. It is worth getting a guide for any hunting and fishing.

Reactions: 1 person
I was in Union City this morning. I am very familiar with this bit of history. The book is a great read.

Trust me the locals around the lake still look at this as a land grab. And during duck season you do not cross them. Reelfoot is a special place. Worth a visit if you are in the area. Go to Boyette's and eat catfish. It is worth getting a guide for any hunting and fishing.
It's a favorite of mine. I still enjoy catching the eagles between November and March. It's amazing to know how fast the lake was formed by the 1812 earthquake.

VN Store

Back