TN GOP Launches Blue Lives Matter Campaign

VolnJC

A group of six Republicans in the Tennessee legislature announced their “Blue Lives Matter” plans to offer greater legal protections to police officers during a press conference Monday.

The Republicans introduced three bills during the conference, which would make changes including labeling assault or harm of an officer a more serious crime, reports The Tennessean. The movement, called “Blue Lives Matter,” seeks to protect law enforcement officers. The legislative session will consider the bills in January 2107.

Sen. Todd Gardenhire and House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick sponsored a bill that would make it a Class E felony to assault an officer, instead of aClass A misdemeanor, which carries a jail sentence up to 11 months and 29 days and or a fine up to $2,500. An assault of an officer would instead carry a fine up to $5,000, while an aggravated assault would have a fine up to $15,000.

Sponsors Sen. Mark Green and Rep. Mark White created a bill that would make it a hate crime to kill or try to kill a person who is a law enforcement officer or a person believed to be one. The “hate crime” would be a Class A felony.

Sen. Mike Bell, and Rep. Andy Holt introduced their bill that would make it a crime to publish the home address of a law enforcement officer.

Read more: Tennessee republicans announce ‘Blue Lives Matter’ bills for police safety | BizPac Review

A group of six Republicans in the Tennessee legislature announced their “Blue Lives Matter” plans to offer greater legal protections to police officers during a press conference Monday.

The Republicans introduced three bills during the conference, which would make changes including labeling assault or harm of an officer a more serious crime, reports The Tennessean. The movement, called “Blue Lives Matter,” seeks to protect law enforcement officers. The legislative session will consider the bills in January 2107.

Sen. Todd Gardenhire and House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick sponsored a bill that would make it a Class E felony to assault an officer, instead of aClass A misdemeanor, which carries a jail sentence up to 11 months and 29 days and or a fine up to $2,500. An assault of an officer would instead carry a fine up to $5,000, while an aggravated assault would have a fine up to $15,000.

Sponsors Sen. Mark Green and Rep. Mark White created a bill that would make it a hate crime to kill or try to kill a person who is a law enforcement officer or a person believed to be one. The “hate crime” would be a Class A felony.

Sen. Mike Bell, and Rep. Andy Holt introduced their bill that would make it a crime to publish the home address of a law enforcement officer.

Read more: Tennessee republicans announce ‘Blue Lives Matter’ bills for police safety | BizPac Review
:crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
They already get better treatment in the courts than probably any other demographic. This is ridiculous.

This was considered an "accidental discharge" by the district attorney.

s2w7QWU.gif

Reactions: 1 person
They already get better treatment in the courts than probably any other demographic. This is ridiculous.

Not just courts.
On the news, every time I hear about an officer even being shot at, they show 40 cop cars in front of the area that it happened.
Nothing wrong with that, but would be nice to see the same kind of dedication for us average Joes.

Then the press conference where they let the public know this will not be tolerated. Unlike it is for those of us they're paid to protect and serve.

Sorry in advance to the better officers about, I do appreciate you guys.

Do you have a link to the story?

Think this is in protect and serve somewhere. DUI flight, wrecks the car, shoots the guy in the spinal cord. I don't see how you can have an accidental discharge with your finger on the trigger. Finger should stay out of the guard until you're ready to shoot. He was clearly ready to shoot, it's not an accident when you pull the trigger and the gun goes off.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought this was a movement to bring awareness to the discrimination of Smurfs.

Color me disappointed. And that color better be blue.

Why protect an LEO more than an average citizen? Just because they wear a badge? **** that noise. I respect cops, but they're not anymore important to their families as I am to mine.

Reactions: 2 people
Why protect an LEO more than an average citizen? Just because they wear a badge? **** that noise. I respect cops, but they're not anymore important to their families as I am to mine.

I believe you stated what I meant above, just better.

1. We should be treated equally.
2. Put as much lipstick as you want, it's still handing more power over without a adding to the system in charge of keeping them in check.

By 2107 we will all be brown anyway.

As if our state legislature hasn't embarrassed themselves enough already. What a joke? What's next?

Do you have a link to the story?

This was all over the news several months ago. I don't know where the case stands but it looks like a pretty bad shooting to me.

I'm for any law that protects police officers if it is administered right. I don't want to start seeing people serving serious prison time for yanking their hand away from arresting officers and the like.

There are also studies that show that tasering can provoke a fighting and escape response in test subjects.

http://www.experts.com/content/arti...chophysiological-response-taser-influence.pdf

VN Store

Back