Justin Timberlake...Racist?

VolnJC

Black Twitter(yes that's a thing) attacked Justin over this Tweet

Justin Timberlake Verified account 
‏@jtimberlake
@iJesseWilliams tho...
#Inspired
#BET2016

after Williams made a BLM speech at the BET awards show.

Many thought it was insensitive and racist to imply that we are all the same and many haven't forgiven him for throwing Janet Jackson "under the bus" for the wardrobe malfunction.

Ernest Owens
‏@MrErnestOwens
Ernest Owens Retweeted Justin Timberlake
So does this mean you're going to stop appropriating our music and culture? And apologize to Janet too. #BETAwards

Am I oversimplifying by saying it all boils down to this?
"I'm offended, how much can I get for that?"
Justin Timberlake Dragged Over BET Awards Tweet: ?Stop Appropriating Our Music and Culture? - The Daily Beast

Last edited:
Meanwhile, as people argued over words, poverty got worse and another couple of young people died in the streets.

Reactions: 6 people
Imagine the Twitter explosion that would happen if someone Tweeted Lenny Kravitz or Darius Rucker and told them to "stop appropriating white folks music."

Music is music for crying out loud.

Reactions: 8 people

‏@jtimberlake
@iJesseWilliams tho...
#Inspired
#BET2016

Many thought it was insensitive and racist to imply that we are all the same and many haven't forgiven him for throwing Janet Jackson "under the bus" for the wardrobe malfunction.

Ernest Owens
‏@MrErnestOwens
So does this mean you're going to stop appropriating our music and culture? And apologize to Janet too. #BETAwards

Justin Timberlake Dragged Over BET Awards Tweet: ?Stop Appropriating Our Music and Culture? - The Daily Beast

Why do we care about 1 person's tweet? Never heard of this guy.

Imagine the Twitter explosion that would happen if someone Tweeted Lenny Kravitz or Darius Rucker and told them to "stop appropriating white folks music."

Music is music for crying out loud.

Don't both styles of music have black roots?

Reactions: 3 people
Why do we care about 1 person's tweet? Never heard of this guy.

He's a HuffPost writer...which means he doesn't get paid :) It blew up Twitter with a bunch of retweets and nitwits

Ernest Owens

@MrErnestOwens

America's Youngest Weekly Columnist #ErnestOpinion @Metro_US! @PhillyCAM #ErnestlySpeaking TV Host, @G_Philly Editor, @HuffingtonPost Writer, & @Penn Alum!

....and looks like guitar has origins in babylonia...weren't they black? Lol, we can't win

How come Don Simmons gets a pass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZRePZ1OqQE

hqdefault.jpg

Well, cultural appropriation isn't the use of another's invention, is it? It's still kinda a new concept to me, but i think it's just about style, art, customs, behavior, etc.

But white folks invented music utilizing a guitar. Then here come black folks taking that same instrument and musical style to make blues. Personally I'm offended.

You can argue about rock but I don't think you can argue about country. Country's roots are firmly planted in Appalachia, a derivative of the folk and bluegrass played by English and Scottish immigrants.

The oldest known reference to a guitar is from 3300 years ago in Babylonia.

So, the evidence would say no.

Yes but who gave the Babylonians the talent to make the guitar? God..and who is God? Alanis Morrissette..so music was invented by a short moody white woman :)

AlanisGodKevinSmith.jpg

So what exactly was so wrong with the tweet? Saying "tho" is disrespectful somehow? Also all this talk about "appropriating music and culture"....hasn't Eminem and Mackelmore both won BET Awards for Best Rapper? You know....2 white guys?

People like this HuffPost guys are no better than white folks who act like there is no racism problem anymore. He's the type that just wants to lash out at all white people, and any white person that attempts to be empathetic gets a response of "YOU'RE NOT LIKE US AND YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND!" Well ok....eff off then. All he is doing is help turn away white people and guess what, that makes you part of the problem.

Reactions: 4 people
When was Babylon black?

See I'm not sure. I can't find anything definitive. The Wikipedia page on Babylon says nothing about race or skin color. Yahoo answers provided this, but I'm not sure how valid it is.

The Babylonians were Ethiopians(black). The word Ethiopian derives from Greek word "Aithiops" which means" burnt face". The Greeks called the Ethiopians this because they were really black. In the bible Ham has a son named Cush(Genesis 10:6). Cush is the Hebrew word for Ethiopia because Cush was the father of all the Ethiopian people. Therefore all people who descend from Cush are Ethiopians. In Genesis 10:8 Cush has a son named Nimrod and it says "he began to be a mighty one in the earth". Nimrod being Cush's son makes him a Cu****e(Ethiopian) in other words Black. In Genesis 10:10 it says the beginning of Nimrods kingdom was Babel. Babel is the same exact place as Babylon. Babylon is the Greek form of Babel. Nimrod lead the construction of Babylon and ruled over it as king. Therefore we can conclude that the original builders and inhabitants of Babylon were Ethiopians(black) as Nimrod himself was.

....and looks like guitar has origins in babylonia...weren't they black? Lol, we can't win

Nope.

The only real sub-Saharan instrument is the banjo which White folks actually appropriated, improved upon and continue to use it.

See I'm not sure. I can't find anything definitive. The Wikipedia page on Babylon says nothing about race or skin color. Yahoo answers provided this, but I'm not sure how valid it is.

That area is "the cradle of civilization"..Ur..Uruk..Akkadians, Sumerians..not black.

They looked like this guy
1-list-iraqi-information-ministers.jpg

‏@jtimberlake
@iJesseWilliams tho...
#Inspired
#BET2016

Ernest Owens
‏@MrErnestOwens

Someone should tell him to stop appropriating our culture with his use of written language, speaking English, electricity, shoes, pants, shirts, cars, computers, the list goes on and on.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back