Hero of We Were Soldiers Record Under Review

MT LeConte

I only report this because I do not believe the article. I believe that Sgt Mjr Plumley was a true American Patriot and a war hero. I do not believe the man would claim to be anything he was not.

First of all during WWII, Korea and even Vietnam record keeping was poor at best. People that maintained such records and files were basically soldier clerks. There weren't secretaries in those days. These guys could barely read and write much less type proficiently. Soldiers names, service numbers and rank were often incorrectly recorded on reports, records and orders.

I can vouch for this personally:

During my first "tour" of duty in Vietnam I was awarded The Army Commendation Medal. It's not a big deal but I am proud of it. Almost every soldier who served in Vietnam was awarded this medal as long as he did his job and didn't get into trouble along the way. When I received my award I was given the Medal along with a nice certificate in a faux leather binder and a copy of the orders awarding the medal. Some years later I was reviewing my DD214 (a complete record of ones service history) and noted the award of this medal was missing. I pulled the the copy of the orders from behind the certificate and noticed that some clerk had recorded my SSN wrong and therefore it never made into my record. I have since gone through the VA and had it corrected.

My point is that any discrepancy in Sgt Mjr Plumley's record is likely an error on the part of the Army and should not reflect negatively on this good man.

‘We Were Soldiers’ legend’s record under review for unearned awards, report says

Last edited:
I only report this because I do not believe the article. I believe that Sgt Mjr Plumley was a true American Patriot and a war hero. I do not believe the man would claim to be anything he was not.

First of all during WWII, Korea and even Vietnam record keeping was poor at best. People that maintained such records and files were basically soldier clerks. There weren't secretaries in those days. These guys could barely read and write much less type proficiently. Soldiers names, service numbers and rank were often incorrectly recorded on reports, records and orders.

During my first "tour" of duty in Vietnam I was awarded The Army Commendation Medal. It's not a big deal but I am proud of it. Almost every soldier who served in Vietnam was awarded this medal as long as he did his job and didn't get into trouble along the way. When I received my award I was given the Medal along with a nice certificate in a faux leather binder and a copy of the orders awarding the medal. Some years later I was reviewing my DD214 (a complete record of ones service history) and noted the award of this medal was missing. I pulled the the copy of the orders from behind the certificate and noticed that some clerk had recorded my SSN wrong and therefore it never made into my record. I have since gone through the VA and had it corrected.

My point is that any discrepancy in Sgt Mjr Plumley's record is likely an error on the part of the Army and should not reflect negatively on this good man.

‘We Were Soldiers’ legend’s record under review for unearned awards, report says

Thank you for your service.

Don't know if I've ever told you...Welcome Home Mt Leconte!

(The PF is just like "a visit to the veterinarian's office" :))

The man passed on, leave it be. He saved a lot of lives in the Ia Drang Valley and died a hero as far as most are concerned.

This just sounds like a reporter trying to make a mark by dragging a soldier's name through the mud that can't defend himself now.

The man passed on, leave it be. He saved a lot of lives in the Ia Drang Valley and died a hero as far as most are concerned.

This just sounds like a reporter trying to make a mark by dragging a soldier's name through the mud that can't defend himself now.

Agree. Good book and movie.

I don't have a problem with correcting the record, I abhor those who claim/wear awards not earned. Now with that said LeConte brings up a good point the record keeping at the time could have led to any mistakes he might have made in the awards he wore.

The reporter should have done this quietly.

VN Store

Back