Walmart Security Program: You're probably paying for it, even if you don't shop there

RobsPics

6/12/2016 NEVER FORGET
Police come to shoo away panhandlers, referee parking disputes and check on foul-mouthed teenagers.

They are called to arrest the man who drinks a 98-cent iced tea without paying and capture the customer who joyrides on a motorized shopping cart.

The calls eat up hours of officers’ time. They all start at one place:

Walmart.

Law enforcement logged nearly 16,800 calls in one year to Walmarts in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco and Hernando counties, according to a Tampa Bay Times analysis. That’s two calls an hour, every hour, every day.

Local Walmarts, on average, generated four times as many calls as nearby Targets, the Times found. Many individual supercenters attracted more calls than the much larger WestShore Plaza mall.

When it comes to calling the cops, Walmart is such an outlier compared with its competitors that experts criticized the corporate giant for shifting too much of its security burden onto taxpayers. Several local law enforcement officers also emphasized that all the hours spent at Walmart cut into how often they can patrol other neighborhoods and prevent other crimes.

Tampa Bay Walmarts get thousands of police calls. You paid the bill.

Reactions: 2 people
My property taxes go to paying the cops to do their job?

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

And of course walmart generates more cop calls, its the Neiman Marcus of the EBT crowd. When your place of business is flooded with people relying on government subsidies to feed their 8 churrin you're going to get crime. That's just a mathematically sound statistical fact.

Reactions: 14 people
My property taxes go to paying the cops to do their job?

And of course walmart generates more cop calls, its the Neiman Marcus of the EBT crowd. When your place of business is flooded with people relying on government subsidies to feed their 8 churrin you're going to get crime. That's just a mathematically sound statistical fact.

those damn poor people.. being poor all the time.. they should work at wal-mart so they don't have to use ebt.. oh.. wait... Walmart Wages Are the Main Reason People Depend on Food Stamps | The Nation

I like this thread. The cost of police coming to the scene of a crime should be paid by the perpetrator. Let the low class, low morals, and low rent people pay for their actions.

Reactions: 6 people
I like this thread. The cost of police coming to the scene of a crime should be paid by the perpetrator. Let the low class, low morals, and low rent people pay for their actions.

Negative. You can't have people be responsible for their actions. You just need to be more tolerant of their actions.

Reactions: 1 person

So that $1 cola some vagrant stole is worth us paying for his 3 hots and a cot while he rots in a county jail?

I think both sides of the Wal Mart debate are a little extreme. Wal-Mart gets way too many subsidies and help from the government that other businesses don't necessarily get. At the same rate, it's not the evil empire it's made out to be.

Sounds like Wal-Mart needs to upgrade their security. Yeah, this is cops doing their job, but swearing teenagers? Who gives a ****? If you have this many problems you need your own security. What would people be saying if the local bar had no security and was calling the cops every half hour?

So that $1 cola some vagrant stole is worth us paying for his 3 hots and a cot while he rots in a county jail?

Have you ever looked at the amount of money businesses lose each year bc of shoplifting. What do you want them to do about it?

I think both sides of the Wal Mart debate are a little extreme. Wal-Mart gets way too many subsidies and help from the government that other businesses don't necessarily get. At the same rate, it's not the evil empire it's made out to be.

Sounds like Wal-Mart needs to upgrade their security. Yeah, this is cops doing their job, but swearing teenagers? Who gives a ****? If you have this many problems you need your own security. What would people be saying if the local bar had no security and was calling the cops every half hour?

That story seems a little extreme as I have seen wal mart official security detain shoplifters..... I'm sure they could make a kid get off a scooter unless something made them stop using their own security measures.

At the same rate, it's not the evil empire it's made out to be.

I often wonder of the Walmart mockers how many have actually visited the original 5&10 store/museum in Bentonville, AR. I've been and it's actually pretty cool. An every day average Joe who took an idea and turned it into a major success. It's a great American story frankly.

That being said, peopleofwalmart.com is hilarious.

Reactions: 1 person

That would be OK but the perps don't have and never will have means to pay. They just go to jail and then it costs us more to house and feed them.

Try again

to bad you guys look over what the real problem is.. I know in your right wing world everything is Obama's fault but in the real world these companies like wal-mart are the ones who make the policies. You guys are subsidizing wal-mart and defending them for it.. it's amazing how clueless the right wing are.
FYI.. the republicans you vote for don't care about you.. they know they can take advantage of you if they just yell guns and jesus every now and then.
But in fairness the democrats aren't any better.

County jail or his crib/car downtown, it's all the same. And at least while he is in the can he can't be doing any lite stealing from me while I am at work paying for his cigs.

Reactions: 3 people
You think part of cop's job is to prohibit teenagers from swearing and taking joyrides on motorized shopping carts?

Do they enforce laws and city ordinances? Do they respond to public disturbances? To serve and protect..

1188145_o.gif

Then yes, it is their job.

Lock up Quadraplegious Jackson for selling smack to 8 year olds one minute, tasering idiot teenagers running amok at Walmart the next. The life of a law enforcement officer is one of danger and diversity.

to bad you guys look over what the real problem is.. I know in your right wing world everything is Obama's fault but in the real world these companies like wal-mart are the ones who make the policies. You guys are subsidizing wal-mart and defending them for it.. it's amazing how clueless the right wing are.
FYI.. the republicans you vote for don't care about you.. they know they can take advantage of you if they just yell guns and jesus every now and then.
But in fairness the democrats aren't any better.
Not Obama's fault, just the type of people who voted for him, there fault.

VN Store

Back