OK, Who is Going to be the Independent Candidate?

MT LeConte

The Republican establishment doesn't want Trump. They sure as hell don't want Hillary. It seems inevitable to me that an independent conservative candidate is likely to emerge. If that happens it is very possible that no one gets to 270 electoral votes in the general election and the House will choose the president from the three candidates. They will not choose Trump or Hillary so that leaves the independent.

Who will that be?

The Republican establishment doesn't want Trump. They sure as hell don't want Hillary. It seems inevitable to me that an independent conservative candidate is likely to emerge. If that happens it is very possible that no one gets to 270 electoral votes in the general election and the House will choose the president from the three candidates. They will not choose Trump or Hillary so that leaves the independent.

Who will that be?
Duke/Farrakhan for the win.

Reactions: 3 people

Who will that be?

Sanders is the worst. Hillary a close second. Trump a close third.

Who will that be?

Not seeing it.

The "establishment" has warmed up in the last few weeks to the idea Trump is going to take the nomination. While there will be some idiots out there like the "NeverTrump" crowd that will still squeal, I don't see them getting much traction. Much less a candidate to run for them as an Indie.

The establishment of the GOP probably wants Hillary at this point. They don't want Trump, Sanders, or a libertarian. Maybe if Romney threw his hat in.

Reactions: 1 person
The establishment of the GOP probably wants Hillary at this point. They don't want Trump, Sanders, or a libertarian. Maybe if Romney threw his hat in.

Hillary basically is an establishment Republican, give or take a few minor social values issues.

Hillary is particularly funny, because Republicans complain about how liberal she is, while liberal liberals complain about what a conservative Republican she is.

Not seeing it.

The "establishment" has warmed up in the last few weeks to the idea Trump is going to take the nomination. While there will be some idiots out there like the "NeverTrump" crowd that will still squeal, I don't see them getting much traction. Much less a candidate to run for them as an Indie.

I have to agree. And even those Republicans who earnestly believe that TRUMP is a huge mistake don't want to ever be viewed as having been the reason he didn't win, and that Clinton did.

Instead you are going to see basically a cold shoulder to him. Not going to the convention, not raising money, not showing up at his events.

They won't support him, but neither will they be seen publicly as working against him. Let him lose on his own, and keep your head down.

I have to agree. And even those Republicans who earnestly believe that TRUMP is a huge mistake don't want to ever be viewed as having been the reason he didn't win, and that Clinton did.

Instead you are going to see basically a cold shoulder to him. Not going to the convention, not raising money, not showing up at his events.

They won't support him, but neither will they be seen publicly as working against him. Let him lose on his own, and keep your head down.

I can agree to that. Until...

He gets close in numbers and polls to her and/or takes the lead. Then you'll see them crawling over the top of each other to get on the Trump Train in order to curry favor.

I can agree to that. Until...

He gets close in numbers and polls to her and/or takes the lead. Then you'll see them crawling over the top of each other to get on the Trump Train in order to curry favor.
This old Trump Train makes it on time... leaves the station 'bout a quarter to nine. Better get your ticket now. I would be on board with Pol Pot if he ran against the b!tch.

Reactions: 3 people
More importantly, who's going to be the 'end dependence' candidate?

If Trump got screwed out of the nomination he might have gone Independent. The interesting scenario to me would then be if Bernie also decided to go Independent. Since would split the R vote, Bernie might have be able to beat Cankles for the D vote.

Of course in this scenario no one would hit 270 though Bernie would have the best chance to do so.

If Trump got screwed out of the nomination he might have gone Independent. The interesting scenario to me would then be if Bernie also decided to go Independent. Since would split the R vote, Bernie might have be able to beat Cankles for the D vote.

Of course in this scenario no one would hit 270 though Bernie would have the best chance to do so.
Bernie is a follower when it counts. He'll back the b!tch.

There won't be. There will be some leaks about Hillary and the investigation, ruin her chances and the DNC will install Biden at the 11th hour and he claims victory over Trump.

I said it first here on VN, book it.

There won't be. There will be some leaks about Hillary and the investigation, ruin her chances and the DNC will install Biden at the 11th hour and he claims victory over Trump.

I said it first here on VN, book it.

Actually, others said it first.

So back off!

A waste of time.

care-o-meter.jpg

bored1.gif

A third party campaign is one thing. Actually winning electoral votes is quite another.

A third party campaign is one thing. Actually winning electoral votes is quite another.

This is the first time I know of that the libertarians have actually been on all the ballads. They may end up in the debates too.

They may end up in the debates too.

From what I remember, they have to have some like like 15% in the past five national polls in order to be eligible for that.

With this election cycle, that's entirely possible.

From what I remember, they have to have some like like 15% in the past five national polls in order to be eligible for that.

With this election cycle, that's entirely possible.

I believe 10%, but they've also challenged that law. And last I checked, I believe Johnson was at 10%

I believe 10%, but they've also challenged that law. And last I checked, I believe Johnson was at 10%

I was looking it up:

https://www.minnpost.com/eric-black-ink/2016/03/why-we-need-more-two-candidates-presidential-debates

The current practice of the commission that runs the debates has been to allow in a third candidate who has polled at 15 percent or better in five recent polls in the period just before the debates. Diamond noted that the choice of the five polls is up to the commissioners, whose motives he doesn’t trust. Diamond also mentioned that the 15 percent rule hadn’t been adopted in 1992, and if it had, Perot would not have qualified to be in the debate.

VN Store

Back