200,000 Felons Can Now Vote in Virginia

MT LeConte

The right thing to to or an underhanded Liberal political move?

In my opinion it is an obvious move to boost the Liberal vote in a swing state as most of the 200,000 who vote will vote Liberal. I'm sure Conservatives will squawk at this move. I guess it's a little payback for the voter ID laws championed by the right which everyone with a mind knows what thats really all about.

Virginia governor enables 200,000 felons to vote in November

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Makes sense. I mean, why should there be consequences for committing felonies? Wonder if he'll work just as hard to get their gun rights back?

Reactions: 3 people

In my opinion it is an obvious move to boost the Liberal vote in a swing state as most of the 200,000 who vote will vote Liberal. I'm sure Conservatives will squawk at this move. I guess it's a little payback for the voter ID laws championed by the right which everyone with a mind knows what thats really all about.

Completing their sentence should restore voting rights.

At the very least, non-violent felons should have their rights restored. Logic would follow that all ex-felons should be granted the same right, but I can see why some people would balk at that in certain cases.

Reactions: 2 people
Requiring felons to pay taxes, but them restricting them from voting is akin to taxation w/o representation.

Child rapist? Sure. But people who commit felons..aka crimes deemed worse than usual..lose their right to vote.

Consequences..

I thought serving time in prison, fines, and probation were the consequence? Many collateral consequences can be excessive.

If you've paid your debt to society, then why shouldn't you be allowed to vote? If you complete your sentence and any probation/parole requirements, and you keep your nose clean, then you are no different than any other functional citizen of this country.

Reactions: 4 people
If you've paid your debt to society, then why shouldn't you be allowed to vote? If you complete your sentence and any probation/parole requirements, and you keep your nose clean, then you are no different than any other functional citizen of this country.

Absolutely agree.

Could be right in some instances. Thinking its anything but political is naive.

As to the other, while both politically motivated they are not the same.

If they have paid their debt to society, then I agree they should be given their right to vote.

Once you complete your sentence all rights should be restored and your record be no ones business.

Once you complete your sentence all rights should be restored and your record be no ones business.

I have no problem with public records and I have no problem with stripping violent felons of gun ownership rights, but I think that it should be a specifically stated punishment imposed on a case by case basis.

Not when you commit a felony..that is the whole point...

A child rapist..or murderer..shouldn't be allowed to actively participate in voting. They forfeited that right.

If the crime is so heinous that they should never have all of their rights restored they should be sentenced to life to begin with.

Reactions: 2 people
At the very least, non-violent felons should have their rights restored. Logic would follow that all ex-felons should be granted the same right, but I can see why some people would balk at that in certain cases.

Why have felonies? Why have different classification of crimes?

If the crime is so heinous that they should never have all of their rights restored they should be sentenced to life to begin with.

Outside of rape, murder, battery, and the similar I don't think so. A felony drug conviction shouldnt be life in prison but still result in loss of certain rights. No different than a dishonorable discharge from the military.

I have no problem with public records and I have no problem with stripping violent felons of gun ownership rights, but I think that it should be a specifically stated punishment imposed on a case by case basis.

Again I say that if the crime deserves a lifetime of punishment they should be sentenced to life. Once you complete all of your sentence your record should be sealed to potential employers/public and all rights restored.

And?? After they have served their time, they should have every right any other American has....IMO

Cool. I was adding that this didn't just restore their voting rights.

Edit:
-it would be great to have murderers, rapists and great fraudsters to serve on juries. Amazing collection there.

Do you believe child molesters should have to stay away from areas with children after they're released?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back