Reinstate The Harrison Tax Act

VolnJC

It's looking more and more likely that both Chyna and Prince died of opioid overdoses...Americans consume 99% of the world's supply of hydrocodone and doctors wrote enough morphine RX's in 2013 so that every man woman and child in the US could have the max dose for months...I think it's time we start fineing and or arresting doctors for prescribing to feed peoples' addictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Narcotics_Tax_Act

Reactions: 2 people
soldiers-guarding-opium-fields.gif

It's looking more and more likely that both Chyna and Prince died of opioid overdoses...Americans consume 99% of the world's supply of hydrocodone and doctors wrote enough morphine RX's in 2013 so that every man woman and child in the US could have the max dose for months...I think it's time we start fineing and or arresting doctors for prescribing to feed peoples' addictions.

Chyna?? Never heard of him.

Reactions: 1 person

Addicts are treated with opiate blockers such as suboxone, nalxone, natrexone, and methadone. As a spouse of someone with a debilitating chronic pain condition, I have witnessed the benefit of a treatment plan involving opiods. She is able to manage her pain, function, and have a decent quality of life. Obviously, the intent is to use the lowest dosage possible. We have tried everything from blocks to spinal cord stimulation with little lasting or effective results. Unfortunately, medical research into her condition is slow at best. I do agree doctors should prescribe with caution.

Kind of crazy that 100 years ago laws were instituted to regulate how much morphine, cocaine, heroin, etc. people could get in medicine. Now it's come full circle, you just need a scrip to get high. I know a dentist who said he regularly gets parents bringing in kids to have teeth pulled, then asking for oxys or hydros "for the kid's pain". He tells them to take a Tylenol.

Most Studies show that most patients in pain are under treated

I don't take any opiates..so I'm not doing my part here

Americans consume 80 percent of the world's supply of painkillers -- more than 110 tons of pure, addictive opiates every year -- as the country's prescription drug abuse epidemic explodes.

That's enough drugs to give every single American 64 Percocets or Vicodin. And pain pill prescriptions continue to surge, up 600 percent in ten year, thanks to doctors who are more and more willing to hand out drugs to patients who are suffering.

As more people get their hands on these potentially-dangerous drugs, more are taking them to get high. Their drug abuse leads to 14,800 deaths a year -- more than from heroin and cocaine combined.

Read more: Americans consume 80 percent of world's pain pills as prescription drug abuse epidemic explodes | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Or we could just let people be free to make their own decisions.

The answer to your problem that you pose isn't to tax the hell out of the drug.

The Harrison Tax Act wasn't so much a tax, as it required for the first time, that patients had to get dangerous drugs through licensed providers. Before you could order heroin thru Sears and Roebuck for 1.50 and get a really nice case..the result though was the way the law was written, thousands of doctors were arrested for writing RXs for these drugs to people who didn't have a legitimate diagnosis...being addicted and needing it wasn't considered legitimate...and I agree

Its easier for me to score heroin than it is to get a script for hydrocodone

Hydrocodone is highly over-rated imo. Doc prescribed it to me to take before pt a few years ago when I busted my knee and was on crutches for 3 weeks. I couldn't tell that it did a thing for pain.

Don't know what it is that gets people so addicted unless they're taking it with alcohol maybe.

Reactions: 2 people
Hydrocodone is highly over-rated imo. Doc prescribed it to me to take before pt a few years ago when I busted my knee and was on crutches for 3 weeks. I couldn't tell that it did a thing for pain.

Don't know what it is that gets people so addicted unless they're taking it with alcohol maybe.

Opioids don't really do anything for pain except tell your body to stop telling you that you are in pain..this is in contrast to NSAIDS and APAP that affect mechanisms like inflammation ..the problem is that some also aid in the release of endorphins and some get psycholigically addicted before they are physically addicted..they all create tolerance and dependance and eventually will have to change meds or increase the dose..if abused then the addicted person will eventually need a high dose just to feel normal

Last edited:

VN Store

Back