The biggest leak in the history of data journalism just went live

Electric Orange

𝓜𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓐𝓶𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓬𝓪 𝓡𝓸𝓬𝓴 𝓐𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷
http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56febff0a1bb8d3c3495adf4/

2.6 terabyte leak of Panamanian shell company data reveals "how a global industry led by major banks, legal firms, and asset management companies secretly manages the estates of politicians, Fifa officials, fraudsters and drug smugglers, celebrities and professional athletes.

Reactions: 1 person
The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to "Just wait for what is coming next".

Hillary?

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/arch...tekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

"Unfortunately the leaker has made the dreadful mistake of turning to the western corporate media to publicise the results. In consequence the first major story, published today by the Guardian, is all about Vladimir Putin and a cellist on the fiddle. As it happens I believe the story and have no doubt Putin is bent.

But why focus on Russia? Russian wealth is only a tiny minority of the money hidden away with the aid of Mossack Fonseca. In fact, it soon becomes obvious that the selective reporting is going to stink.

The Suddeutsche Zeitung, which received the leak, gives a detailed explanation of the methodology the corporate media used to search the files. The main search they have done is for names associated with breaking UN sanctions regimes. The Guardian reports this too and helpfully lists those countries as Zimbabwe, North Korea, Russia and Syria. The filtering of this Mossack Fonseca information by the corporate media follows a direct western governmental agenda. There is no mention at all of use of Mossack Fonseca by massive western corporations or western billionaires – the main customers. And the Guardian is quick to reassure that “much of the leaked material will remain private.”

What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)"

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/arch...tekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

"Unfortunately the leaker has made the dreadful mistake of turning to the western corporate media to publicise the results. In consequence the first major story, published today by the Guardian, is all about Vladimir Putin and a cellist on the fiddle. As it happens I believe the story and have no doubt Putin is bent.

But why focus on Russia? Russian wealth is only a tiny minority of the money hidden away with the aid of Mossack Fonseca. In fact, it soon becomes obvious that the selective reporting is going to stink.

The Suddeutsche Zeitung, which received the leak, gives a detailed explanation of the methodology the corporate media used to search the files. The main search they have done is for names associated with breaking UN sanctions regimes. The Guardian reports this too and helpfully lists those countries as Zimbabwe, North Korea, Russia and Syria. The filtering of this Mossack Fonseca information by the corporate media follows a direct western governmental agenda. There is no mention at all of use of Mossack Fonseca by massive western corporations or western billionaires – the main customers. And the Guardian is quick to reassure that “much of the leaked material will remain private.”

What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)"

Surprise surprise, countries weighed down by criminal western sanctions are trying to hide their money.

I'm more interested in the criminal politicians here in the US that signed FATCA that may be on this list...

Surprise surprise, countries weighed down by criminal western sanctions are trying to hide their money.

I'm more interested in the criminal politicians here in the US that signed FATCA that may be on this list...

among many others. Do not expect a genuine expose of western capitalism. The dirty secrets of western corporations will remain unpublished.

Expect hits at Russia, Iran and Syria and some tiny “balancing” western country like Iceland. A superannuated UK peer or two will be sacrificed – someone already with dementia.

"The corporate media – the Guardian and BBC in the UK – have exclusive access to the database which you and I cannot see. They are protecting themselves from even seeing western corporations’ sensitive information by only looking at those documents which are brought up by specific searches such as UN sanctions busters. Never forget the Guardian smashed its copies of the Snowden files on the instruction of MI6."

just a thought but could they be releasing the finds on Russia first to gain wide acceptance before dropping the bombshells on Trump/Hillary/whoever? Its a hard sell if you come into your main audience and hit them right in the face. better to give them something to bite and chew on, let them swallow the significance of it before feeding them the next bit.

if this is all the paper is going to release then yeah biased journalism. if they keep going I don't see any reason to question them.

just a thought but could they be releasing the finds on Russia first to gain wide acceptance before dropping the bombshells on Trump/Hillary/whoever? Its a hard sell if you come into your main audience and hit them right in the face. better to give them something to bite and chew on, let them swallow the significance of it before feeding them the next bit.

if this is all the paper is going to release then yeah biased journalism. if they keep going I don't see any reason to question them.

I don't think it would be that big a bombshell on Trump, depending on the circumstances of course. I mean, he's a businessman and very likely has a significant amount of money squirreled away offshore. Not exactly a going concern save the left and LG that will screech about it.

Clinton on the other hand would be somewhat damaging. Having said that to say this, I seriously doubt her followers would care one way or the other.

I don't think it would be that big a bombshell on Trump, depending on the circumstances of course. I mean, he's a businessman and very likely has a significant amount of money squirreled away offshore. Not exactly a going concern save the left and LG that will screech about it.

Clinton on the other hand would be somewhat damaging. Having said that to say this, I seriously doubt her followers would care one way or the other.

No they wouldn't.

Who would have thought that foreign politicians were corrupt? We already know that the House, Senate and most/all rich bastards are corrupt in the US.

I am all for the coming witch hunt, but this caught my attention.

There are two other crucial points: Is the source trustworthy? And is there a legitimate public interest?

Together with their partners Süddeutsche Zeitung checked and compared thousands of documents John Doe had delivered to us. We double cross examined with other publications and documents or files from lawsuits. Not in a single case there were any doubts.
tens of thousands of cases and never any doubt?

you would at least expect them to say something to the effect of "Out of the 11,000 off shore corporations Mossfan was responsible for only 10 were found to be legitimate. of the rest there was not any doubt of our conclusions."

a little hard to believe there was no legitimate businesses at all in the file dump. although they could have been specifically given only the dirty files and not ALL of Mossfans clients. that would blow up on the source regardless of who was dirty.

Still waiting on that list of American names... probably be Trump, Bernie and a few other rebel rousers or people on the political fringes here.

if anyone can't see that this list released yesterday had an agenda behind it, then there is no hope for you.

VN Store

Back