Cam Newton

Pacer92

Youneverknow
It's Super bowl week and the media is doing its typical best to stir as much mania and hype for this Sunday's game. I totally get that, however, it seems that this has taken a racial tone, as most things do these days.

First, I'm not a fan of Cam Newton. Nothing to do with the color of his skin. Football is the ultimate team game, with 11 players all having a task or duty in moving the ball offensively or stopping the ball defensively. When these duties are successful on offense, first downs are achieved on a regular basis, leading to touchdowns or field goals on some occasions. Celebrating a touchdown is one thing, but when one person takes the opportunity to say "look at me" and not the other 10 guys that contributed to it, it takes away from the game. A fist pump or even signaling a first down with the arm is one thing, but a prolonged dance for a first down is classless and ridiculous, imo.

With that said, the media seems to be running with the assumption that Cam Newton haters are racist. Can the actions of high profile black athletes be criticized without the racial card being played?

Thoughts?...

The Cam Newton Hate Is Over Showboating, Not Race

It's Super bowl week and the media is doing its typical best to stir as much mania and hype for this Sunday's game. I totally get that, however, it seems that this has taken a racial tone, as most things do these days.

First, I'm not a fan of Cam Newton. Nothing to do with the color of his skin. Football is the ultimate team game, with 11 players all having a task or duty in moving the ball offensively or stopping the ball defensively. When these duties are successful on offense, first downs are achieved on a regular basis, leading to touchdowns or field goals on some occasions. Celebrating a touchdown is one thing, but when one person takes the opportunity to say "look at me" and not the other 10 guys that contributed to it, it takes away from the game. A fist pump or even signaling a first down with the arm is one thing, but a prolonged dance for a first down is classless and ridiculous, imo.

With that said, the media seems to be running with the assumption that Cam Newton haters are racist. Can the actions of high profile black athletes be criticized without the racial card being played?

Thoughts?...

The Cam Newton Hate Is Over Showboating, Not Race

The media or a few opinions from within the media?

I don't get why people care so much about celebrating. There's not just one way to do things and this is show biz, for hell's sake. Their fans like it. Their team is winning with this have-fun attitude. Whatever the haters motivation is, it's all comes off like crotchety old man sour grapes.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't give two rips about Cam or the Panthers and hope the Broncos wipe the field with them. But if people want to get mad at someone for Cam's celebration antics, get mad at the defense who's not doing their job and stopping him.

Reactions: 4 people
The media or a few opinions from within the media?

I don't get why people care so much about celebrating. There's not just one way to do things and this is show biz, for hell's sake. Their fans like it. Their team is winning with this have-fun attitude. Whatever the haters motivation is, it's all comes off like crotchety old man sour grapes.

It's unprofessional. It's selfish. It's about ME.

Kids are taught that no one person is greater than the team. What's this teach?

Reactions: 1 person

I see them all dabbing together, but whatever.

Again, it's showbiz. When the concert violinist bows after a solo, are you calling him out?

I never thought I'd have to log off the pf to get away from football....

Reactions: 2 people

If you're looking for professional athletes to be role models for your kids your doing it wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
If you're looking for professional athletes to be role models for your kids your doing it wrong.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say Peyton and Tebow are two pretty good examples of a role model to emulate.

Though neither should take the place of "Mom" and "Dad" role models.

There is a difference between being professional, and being a professional athlete..

i think there's probably more important things to worry about than Cam celebrating in the endzone. He also gives every game ball to a kid after a touchdown. I give him kudos for that.

Reactions: 2 people
People are acting like Cam Newton is the first black qb in the NFL and the first black QB to play in the superbowl and if he doesn't win its because he is black but if he does win it's because he is black.

In other words..the media is full of morons trying to stir up a racial hype storm to generate excitement for what many feel is a ho hum Superbowl.

Reactions: 3 people
People are acting like Cam Newton is the first black qb in the NFL and the first black QB to play in the superbowl and if he doesn't win its because he is black but if he does win it's because he is black.

In other words..the media is full of morons trying to stir up a racial hype storm to generate excitement for what many feel is a ho hum Superbowl.

does anyone think Peyton didn't receive a Heisman because he was white and Charles Woodson was black? Serious question

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say Peyton and Tebow are two pretty good examples of a role model to emulate.

Though neither should take the place of "Mom" and "Dad" role models.

I look at it as a bonus when you have guys like those you can point to.

does anyone think Peyton didn't receive a Heisman because he was white and Charles Woodson was black? Serious question

It had nothing to do with race in my eyes. It was because Woodson was the first defensive player to make it that far and the voters wanted to "be part of history"..

i think there's probably more important things to worry about than Cam celebrating in the endzone. He also gives every game ball to a kid after a touchdown. I give him kudos for that.

As I stated in the op, I don't see anything wrong with an end zone celebration, but the little dances after EVERY first down is extreme and tacky.

The main thing to me is, why are the people that don't care for such antics, being labeled racist by the CN supporters?

Why is race even a issue in the criticism or support of these actions?

It had nothing to do with race in my eyes. It was because Woodson was the first defensive player to make it that far and the voters wanted to "be part of history"..

whatever the reason, Woodson is a nobody now. Peyton got screwed

I see them all dabbing together, but whatever.

Again, it's showbiz. When the concert violinist bows after a solo, are you calling him out?

You're missing the point...

It takes one violinist to perform a solo......it takes 11 players to make first downs...

You're missing the point...

It takes one violinist to perform a solo......it takes 11 players to make first downs...

Is that really the point? You don't always play by yourself when you solo. It still takes the rest of the orchestra to make the song. You still stand and bow alone.

You are missing the point. Your weird sense of values is not objective. It fits your viewpoint without any wiggle room for differing opinions. Either they do it your way or they are selfish. Get a grip.

Is that really the point? You don't always play by yourself when you solo. It still takes the rest of the orchestra to make the song. You still stand and bow alone.

You are missing the point. Your weird sense of values is not objective. It fits your viewpoint without any wiggle room for differing opinions. Either they do it your way or they are selfish. Get a grip.
Let me know next time when you see the concertmaster showboating like Newton.

VN Store

Back