Why is there such a quarrel with Christianity today?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
An upcoming horror movie released a new trailer about a week ago, and I started reading the comments to see how the trailer is being received. Someone commented about how watching demonic movies can open one up to things they may not be comfortable with. This person never called anyone a sinner, he never pointed a finger, he never said a negative word against anyone. At no point did he even say the word Christianity. These are a few of the responses he was met with:

"There is no jesus. There is no God. You are the one who is brainwashed."

"Christians are the reason they make witches look evil. They are the true evil"

"What an idiot."

"Lol, you sound like this teacher at a youth group I use to go to. He was super anal about everything and sucked the joy out of life by saying that same lame bs"

"Not everyone believes in your religion. Get off your high horse."

"I am a pagan, and I do not believe in close minded conservative Christians."

"Children of a perverted God preach to men and women how to live their lives as if their fairy tales of incestious origins is base enough for us to listen.
Keep praying."

Christianity is a personal relationship with God, and the core of the belief is that the ultimate symbol of love sacrificed himself so that others may have a chance. The whole thing is summed up with the phrase "Faith, Hope, and Love. And the greatest of these is Love." Whether you adhere to this faith or not, obviously the general message is selflessness, love, patience, etc.

Of course a big percentage of Christians don't represent Christianity well, many use it to do no more than push a personal agenda, but the same can be said for any affiliation. A good portion of southerners represent the south (and southern hospitality) poorly, a good portion of vegetarians represent vegetarians poorly, a good portion of Hispanics represent Hispanic culture poorly, etc etc. However, no one speaking on behalf of any of those affiliations is met with nearly the same hostility as someone speaking on behalf of Christianity.

If a public figure publicly denounces Christianity in front of a large audience, they are met with applause. Atheists are extremely vocal about their lack of belief in a deity, and usually admired for it. Even something as small as how many "likes" one gets on a Facebook post is extremely telling (i.e. in the comments section of the movie I referred to earlier, a person argued for Christianity and got 12 "likes", another person responded by calling the Bible a fairytale and received 306 "likes").

Why? Obviously Christianity is seen by more and more of our youthful generation as being mutually exclusive with intelligence. Plenty of people refuse to believe in God's existence, that's nothing new. But why is there such a backlash these days to the idea of Christianity? Why would a message of Faith, Hope, and Love, be met with such hostility?

No answer is a bad answer here. I'm just genuinely curious.

Last edited:
An upcoming horror movie released a new trailer about a week ago, and I started reading the comments to see how the trailer is being received. Someone commented about how watching demonic movies can open one up to things they may not be comfortable with. This person never called anyone a sinner, he never pointed a finger, he never said a negative word against anyone. At no point did he even say the word Christianity. These are a few of the responses he was met with:

"What an idiot."

"Lol, you sound like this teacher at a youth group I use to go to. He was super anal about everything and sucked the joy out of life by saying that same lame bs"

"Children of a perverted God preach to men and women how to live their lives as if their fairy tales of incestious origins is base enough for us to listen.
Keep praying."

Christianity is a personal relationship with God, and the core of the belief is that the ultimate symbol of love sacrificed himself so that others may have a chance. The whole thing is summed up with the phrase "Faith, Hope, and Love. And the greatest of these is Love." Whether you adhere to this faith or not, obviously the general message is selflessness, love, patience, etc.

Of course a big percentage of Christians don't represent Christianity well, many use it to do no more than push a personal agenda, but the same can be said for any affiliation. A good portion of southerners represent the south (and southern hospitality) poorly, a good portion of vegetarians represent vegetarians poorly, a good portion of Hispanics represent Hispanic culture poorly, etc etc. However, no one speaking on behalf of any of those affiliations is met with nearly the same hostility as someone speaking on behalf of Christianity.

If a public figure publicly denounces Christianity in front of a large audience, they are met with applause. Atheists are extremely vocal about their lack of belief in a deity, and usually admired for it. Even something as small as how many "likes" one gets on a Facebook post is extremely telling (i.e. in the comments section of the movie I referred to earlier, a person argued for Christianity and got 12 "likes", another person responded by calling the Bible a fairytale and received 306 "likes").

Why? Obviously Christianity is seen by more and more of our youthful generation as being mutually exclusive with intelligence. Plenty of people refuse to believe in God's existence, that's nothing new. But why is there such a backlash these days to the idea of Christianity? Why would a message of Faith, Hope, and Love, be met with such hostility?

I think right or wrong many(younger generation) believe that Christians want to limit freedoms(abortion birth control etc) and many politicians are seeing the political winds shift( only 18% of families attend church weekly) It will continue and organized religion will be looked at as fringe as opposed to mainstream in the next generation.

According to the Hartford Institute of Religion Research, more than 40 percent of Americans "say" they go to church weekly. As it turns out, however, less than 20 percent are actually in church. In other words, more than 80 percent of Americans are finding more fulfilling things to do on weekends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think right or wrong many(younger generation) believe that Christians want to limit freedoms(abortion birth control etc) and many politicians are seeing the political winds shift( only 18% of families attend church weekly) It will continue and organized religion will be looked at as fringe as opposed to mainstream in the next generation.

According to the Hartford Institute of Religion Research, more than 40 percent of Americans "say" they go to church weekly. As it turns out, however, less than 20 percent are actually in church. In other words, more than 80 percent of Americans are finding more fulfilling things to do on weekends.

So in summary you think it's pretty much just a matter of people feeling like Christianity is trying to be more binding than freeing?

So in summary you think it's pretty much just a matter of people feeling like Christianity is trying to be more binding than freeing?

I definitely believe the under 30 crowd believe that, I remember the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debates..there was plenty of hateful Tweets about Ham while Nye was regarded as a hero

Reactions: 2 people

I think you're confusing certain "areas" of the Internet and media with "popular opinion," which is a common mistake in our tech/social media era. For example, does VolNation Politics Forum really represent the majority of America? Probably not, or at least I sure as heck hope not.

I can't recall any of them verbatim, but I know that even Obama, who one would think would be the most accepting US president, has made a couple of comments in the past that were actually offensive to atheists and non-religious people - basically comments with the jest that it was ridiculous or stupid not to believe in a higher power because we can see a higher power at work in the world, or something like that. So, I'd be careful associating the comments of a Bill Maher or some other random public figure with "popular opinion," although it is true, as another poster pointed out, that religious sensibilities are currently on the decline. (It should be pointed out, however, that this is not necessarily new, as religious attendance and fervor has risen and waned over the centuries here.)

Reactions: 7 people
Most people and the younger generation in general don't want to be told they aren't in control of there own lives / choices they make. Although from a Christian perspective the non theist ability to dismiss creationism is just as much of a leap of "faith" as a Christians ability to accept Christ. That's in my opinion of course. I always found it a interesting change to a convo about creationism vs non when I would say "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist". That would get em going.. Good question tho!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think you're confusing certain "areas" of the Internet and media with "popular opinion," which is a common mistake in our tech/social media era. For example, does VolNation Politics Forum really represent the majority of America? Probably not, or at least I sure as heck hope not.

I can't recall any of them verbatim, but I know that even Obama, who one would think would be the most accepting US president, has made a couple of comments in the past that were actually offensive to atheists and non-religious people - basically comments with the jest that it was ridiculous or stupid not to believe in a higher power because we can see a higher power at work in the world, or something like that. So, I'd be careful associating the comments of a Bill Maher or some other random public figure with "popular opinion," although it is true, as another poster pointed out, that religious sensibilities are currently on the decline. (It should be pointed out, however, that this is not necessarily new, as religious attendance and fervor has risen and waned over the centuries here.)

That's certainly a possibility. It's just hard not to accept something as popular opinion when you look at one form of social media and that's the general view, then you look at another form of social media and that's the general view, then you watch a public figure (Maher for example) get standing ovations when he says the Bible is a load of crap.

"What an idiot."

Keep praying."

This is just my opinion. We are by nature selfish, rebellious, proud etc. Our nature is ungodly until Christ gives us a new heart, giving us a new nature,changing us from rebels to his children. In my opinion, reading the first 3 chapters of Romans, it is natural for non Christians to be intolerant to Christianity because their still resisting him. If they resist him they will resist followers of Christ too. Christians shouldn't be shocked by the anti Christian attitude in the world.

Another thing is that there are demons and they hate God wanting to destroy man whom God made in his own image. They don't want anyone to be restored to God's fellowship.

So imo of ,reading the bible, its a result of spiritual reasons.

Reactions: 4 people
Some of the silliest **** some Christians still participate in today happens to be illustrated by the YouTube commentator that started the **** storm(pro tip- never read YouTube comments, it's always a **** storm).

Of course, I'm talking about the idea that watching a scary movie about demon ghosts is somehow magically satanic in itself. That Harry Potter books promote black magic and evil wizardry against the lawd. That their goofy superstitions are in any relevant to normal people who realize Harry Potter or Spooky Generic Demon Ghost Movie or Ouija boards don't have magical powers over us. And for the life of me, I don't understand how these folk cannot fathom that normal people are not the least bit interested in their lunacy.

Normal Christians, please talk some sense into these weirdos. They're making y'all look bad.

Reactions: 9 people
Some of the silliest **** some Christians still participate in today happens to be illustrated by the YouTube commentator that started the **** storm(pro tip- never read YouTube comments, it's always a **** storm).

Of course, I'm talking about the idea that watching a scary movie about demon ghosts is somehow magically satanic in itself. That Harry Potter books promote black magic and evil wizardry against the lawd. That their goofy superstitions are in any relevant to normal people who realize Harry Potter or Spooky Generic Demon Ghost Movie or Ouija boards don't have magical powers over us. And for the life of me, I don't understand how these folk cannot fathom that normal people are not the least bit interested in their lunacy.

Normal Christians, please talk some sense into these weirdos. They're making y'all look bad.

Respectful, intelligent comments across the board, then Percy shows up.

Luckily.... this is actually a good thing this time.

MercyPercy, the question posed here is in regards to why people seem very aggressive towards Christianity these days. When you say words that you know are derogatory, such as "magical" and "the lawd", you're showing a legitimate disdain (and disrespect) towards Christianity. Basically it's the equivalent of talking to a Bama fan and saying "You incestual redneck hillbilly blah blah."

So...... why? What do you, for lack of a better word, hate so much about Christianity?

Reactions: 3 people
Respectful, intelligent comments across the board, then Percy shows up.

Luckily.... this is actually a good thing this time.

MercyPercy, the question posed here is in regards to why people seem very aggressive towards Christianity these days. When you say words that you know are derogatory, such as "magical" and "the lawd", you're showing a legitimate disdain (and disrespect) towards Christianity. Basically it's the equivalent of talking to a Bama fan and saying "You incestual redneck hillbilly blah blah."

So...... why? What do you, for lack of a better word, hate so much about Christianity?

You saw some guy get **** on in a YouTube comments section, I explained why I think people were ****ting on him in this particular instance. The ghost movie/Harry Potter/Ouija examples were used to typify the person from your example. We don't like those people because they're crazy in a bad way and try to do things like ban books because of their weird superstitions.

That's all just referring to your specific example. If you want me to help you understand why there is a more acerbic tone towards Christianity(and religion in general) I could certainly try, but I imagine most of the reasons I give will seem fairly obvious to you.

Also, lighten up man. Don't let "lawd" or magic upset you if you're comfortable with your beliefs. This board gets pretty derogatory with practically every subject discussed on here but as soon as someone makes a joke about the sacred cow, they want to act offended.

It makes people uncomfortable. And Christianity I would say is the largest religion in the US so it is the biggest target among religions. also with many of this younger generation coming from Christian households that is naturally going to be the thing they can commonly act out against. and converts make the most dedicated of any faith, and atheist /agnostic in this instance could be considered a faith for my argument. I would think once you see things even out the hostility against Christianity decreases as more people become disconnected from it.

I don't think there is "such a quarrel with Christianity." I think your sample size/demographic is flawed. People make comments on the interwebs for the purpose of quarreling with others. The anonymous big mouths like to attack anything on the web. Trolling is something that lots of people enjoy doing.

As a general thing, I think Christians are feeling the heat because the power they once held is dwindling. I don't think that they are under attack, but their numbers on the decline and their political clout is taking a hit as well.

Reactions: 15 people
An upcoming horror movie released a new trailer about a week ago, and I started reading the comments to see...

It's the internet. That's the difference today. Most atheists wouldn't say those sort of comments to someone's face, unless the context of the conversation merited it.

We are less racist than in the past, but if you judged us by internet comments (specifically youtube comments) then you'd think we are as racist as ever.

I should have read Clearwater's comment before I posted. Basically said the same thing.

It's the internet. That's the difference today. Most atheists wouldn't say those sort of comments to someone's face, unless the context of the conversation merited it.

We are less racist than in the past, but if you judged us by internet comments (specifically youtube comments) then you'd think we are as racist as ever.

The internet isn't real your so blind omg

Many of the same people that bash Christianity defend Islam to the core. That's what doesn't make sense.

I haven't seen anyone defend Islam itself. What has been defended is the right to practice Islam. What has also been defended against are the arguments by some - that all practitioners of Islam are dangerous or evil. If someone comes on here and attempts to say that Islam is logical or doesn't require a leap of faith by its followers like some on here claim regarding Christianity, you will see the same people you claim are defending Islam dissecting it and challenging those assertions. However, to my knowledge, we have no Islamic folks on the board willing to defend their faith.

Reactions: 11 people
I haven't seen anyone defend Islam itself. What has been defended is the right to practice Islam. What has also been defended against are the arguments by some - that all practitioners of Islam are dangerous or evil. If someone comes on here and attempts to say that Islam is logical or doesn't require a leap of faith by its followers like some on here claim regarding Christianity, you will see the same people you claim are defending Islam dissecting it and challenging those assertions. However, to my knowledge, we have no Islamic folks on the board willing to defend their faith.

This has nothing at all to do with what I said.

Maybe you didn't mean to quote me. I don't know.

People are aggressive towards christians because its an easy target. Its like playing dodge ball and immediately going after the skinny, clumsy kid in glasses. Its easy, you'll probably get your shot in, and there will be little chance of retaliation.

What is funny is the same people who want to sh!t on Christians usually stand up for muslims. You can see this everywhere, including on this board. These are also the same people who actually believe words hurt. They are willing to sling insults at the wicked Jesus freak but don't you dare utter a trigger word around them when there is no safeplace within reach..

Reactions: 4 people

:eek:lol::lolabove:

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back