who said crime doesn't pay?

If you're a criminal at risk of committing a crime they'll pay you to stay out of trouble, and job train you. I thought there was already an incentive for not committing a crime, staying out of jail! You know somebody will want to be "at risk" to get free $!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not totally opposed to this as long as someone can't be in the program for life.

I'm not totally opposed to this as long as someone can't be in the program for life.

Gave you a like.

Again the news agency leads with the click bait. The program wasn't nearly what I expected. 200, at risk youth, are provided job training and monthly stipend while they receive the training.

"DC Pays At Risk Area Youth to Attend Job Training" doesn't get near the hits.

I'm not sure how the money works out, but I actually like this kind of out of the box thinking. If it costs society less to pay for good behavior, why not?

That being said, the money probably doesn't work out, LOL.
I have a big scary Assault Rifle. Where's my money?

I thought there was already an incentive for not committing a crime, staying out of jail!

Isn't that the only incentive you need? Seriously... the people who think going to jail is part of life and the amount of people that don't mind being in jail based off stuff you see on prison documentaries is pretty shocking. As if no girls, no sex, crap food, no internet, stuck indoors and not being able to do the things you want to do in general wasn't incentive enough, what about the possibility of getting a shank from behind? Especially if the shank is made of meat.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjlM5A1jME[/youtube]

Oh look more "money fixes cultural problems". Typical ignorant fantasy land living BS.

If you need an incentive to stay at of jail and/or not commit crime you're probably a worthless POS with no value to society.

Reactions: 5 people
If the gubment wants to reduce crime by giving out money, maybe they should have an incentive program for those who live within the law. Felons ineligible.

Let's say 10 G$ for reaching age 18 with a clean record, and then every 10 years thereon with a clean record. I think they should start this tomorrow, with back pay.

Waiting for my 40 G$, Baby! :)

If the gubment wants to reduce crime by giving out money, maybe they should have an incentive program for those who live within the law. Felons ineligible.

Let's say 10 G$ for reaching age 18 with a clean record, and then every 10 years thereon with a clean record. I think they should start this tomorrow, with back pay.

Waiting for my 40 G$, Baby! :)

Do they take it all away if you're pulled over with 5 keys of blow and a million hits of LSD?

If you're a criminal at risk of committing a crime they'll pay you to stay out of trouble, and job train you. I thought there was already an incentive for not committing a crime, staying out of jail! You know somebody will want to be "at risk" to get free $!

1. The incentive is to go TO jail... 3 hots and a cot, free health care and cable TV vs living like an Average Joe on Obamacare, working 30 hours on one job and 30 hours at another, paying taxes, and paying bills.

2. The United States has more prisoners than any one in the Free World or unFree World. Jail is obviously not the answer for everything.

Did anyone actually read the article? If so, why is giving at risk kids a skill a bad idea? Is it not worth the effort to try and keep them out of the system?

Did anyone actually read the article? If so, why is giving at risk kids a skill a bad idea? Is it not worth the effort to try and keep them out of the system?
We already "give" them an education thru 12th grade. Apparently that doesn't work so well, so yeah, let's give them something else.

Reactions: 2 people
We already "give" them an education thru 12th grade. Apparently that doesn't work so well, so yeah, let's give them something else.

You would rather pay to warehouse them in a prison indefinitely than to pay to teach them a skill that might keep them out of prison and off the dole?

It seems to be a fiscally and socially responsible plan and yet you are against it?

I grew up privileged. I grew up in two parent home. My parents gave a crap and were involved. I wasn't the first in family to go to college. For at least four generations on both sides my family have earned college degrees. Going to college wasn't an achievement. It was expected. Not all kids have those advantages. Some grow up in pretty horrible conditions. Conditions that are worse than jail. Some are self motivated to escape and succeed. Most people don't have that within themselves and need a helping hand. This program appears to be just that, a helping hand for a finite period at the end of which they may find themselves in a position to avoid living off or in the system forever. Hell, it will probably make them better parents when the time comes. It's time we figured out how to break the cycle instead of simply casting down blame on those less fortunate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You would rather pay to warehouse them in a prison indefinitely than to pay to teach them a skill that might keep them out of prison and off the dole?

It seems to be a fiscally and socially responsible plan and yet you are against it?

I grew up privileged. I grew up in two parent home. My parents gave a crap and were involved. I wasn't the first in family to go to college. For at least four generations on both sides my family has earned college degrees. Going to college wasn't an achievement. It was expected. Not all kids have those advantages. Some grow up in pretty horrible conditions. Conditions that are worse than jail. Some are self motivated to escape and succeed. Most people don't have that within themselves and need a helping hand. This program appears to be just that, a helping hand for a finite period at the end of which they may find themselves in a position to avoid living off or in the system forever. Hell, it will probably make them better parents when the time comes. It's time we figured out how to break the cycle instead of simply casting down blame on those less fortunate.
Do you seriously think it will keep them off the dole? Seriously? I am all for breaking the cycle, but giving more stuff does.... not.... work.:clapping: The ones that are self motivated are probably already working to better themselves. And the problem with this is that there is no finite end. There never is. Just another hand out. Sorry, but I have seen this movie over and over and over.

Do you seriously think it will keep them off the dole? Seriously? I am all for breaking the cycle, but giving more stuff does.... not.... work.:clapping: The ones that are self motivated are probably already working to better themselves. And the problem with this is that there is no finite end. There never is. Just another hand out. Sorry, but I have seen this movie over and over and over.

There is finite end. They go through job training and receive a stipend during that time. Job training done. Stipend done. Not everyone is self motivated. It is even harder to be self motivated when you come from abject poverty.

This isn't just giving stuff. This is giving a skill. This is far different than the typical welfare program.

Reactions: 2 people
There is finite end. They go through job training and receive a stipend during that time. Job training done. Stipend done. Not everyone is self motivated. It is even harder to be self motivated when you come from abject poverty.

This isn't just giving stuff. This is giving a skill. This is far different than the typical welfare program.

As I stated earlier, I'm not against this program but there is minimal to almost no abject poverty in this country.

Ahhhh how innocent and naive you are. Or should I say blind? More money down a rat hole.

And just stfu with this abject poverty crapola. People in this country have no idea what that is. None whatsoever.

Edit: So how about we identify these kids that have zero interest in traditional schooling when they are repeating the 6th grade for the 3rd time and send them to trade school instead of wasting time "attempting" to educate them thru high school? That way, they can learn a trade and go to work. After all, we can identify potential NFL/NBA talent at that age, why can't we identify those that have no interest/aptitude for traditional education as well?

Last edited:
Ahhhh how innocent and naive you are. Or should I say blind? More money down a rat hole.

And just stfu with this abject poverty crapola. People in this country have no idea what that is. None whatsoever.

Edit: So how about we identify these kids that have zero interest in traditional schooling when they are repeating the 6th grade for the 3rd time and send them to trade school instead of wasting time "attempting" to educate them thru high school? That way, they can learn a trade and go to work. After all, we can identify potential NFL/NBA talent at that age, why can't we identify those that have no interest/aptitude for traditional education as well?

And you have no idea whatsoever about the conditions that some of these kids live in growing up. Everybody has given up on some of these kids. Some have potential for greatness, some don't, but to say that nobody in that situation is worth saving is a pretty crappy attitude. Volunteer and be a big brother. I bet it changes your attitude.

I would not be in favor of sending kids off to trade school in the 6th grade. No point. What are you planning on doing with them? Having them begin their career as an auto mechanic (or whatever) at 14?

However, I would be in favor of more trade school association at the high school level. Book learnin' ain't for everyone. Why are we trying to prep everyone for college? All we have succeeded in doing is devaluing the college degree and creating a mountain of debt (college loans) which will never be paid. However, to make that change would require a fundamental change in how the education system operates and its goals. This is a relatively small scale program that could have a similar effect on some kids. If successful, it could lead to the fundamental changes I discussed.

And you have no idea whatsoever about the conditions that some of these kids live in growing up. Everybody has given up on some of these kids. Some have potential for greatness, some don't, but to say that nobody in that situation is worth saving is a pretty crappy attitude. Volunteer and be a big brother. I bet it changes your attitude.

I would not be in favor of sending kids off to trade school in the 6th grade. No point. What are you planning on doing with them? Having them begin their career as an auto mechanic (or whatever) at 14?

However, I would be in favor of more trade school association at the high school level. Book learnin' ain't for everyone. Why are we trying to prep everyone for college? All we have succeeded in doing is devaluing the college degree and creating a mountain of debt (college loans) which will never be paid. However, to make that change would require a fundamental change in how the education system operates and its goals. This is a relatively small scale program that could have a similar effect on some kids. If successful, it could lead to the fundamental changes I discussed.

...so learning to be an auto mechanic at 14 is worse than learning how to hold a gun sideways and protect your turf? These are the disadvantaged abject impoverished kids we are talking about, right? They "grow up" far faster than you or I did.

wrt college degrees, I couldn't agree more. We have pummelled the deceased equine enough on this issue, but get... the... .government... out... of... the... loan... guarantee... business. College degrees remind me of an old Dr Seuss story about the Sneetches. When everybody has a star on their belly, it loses it's value. I agree with you. College ain't for everyone, and we shouldn't be advocating as such. So identify these people early, and give them a different path. But if you wait until high school, I'll betcha it is too late. Their shooting skills and their income far outweigh any desire they might have to take an hourly paying job.

I'm surprised that in this thread I'm 100% behind Clearwater. Unless the rest of you have a relationship with a felon you need to STFU because you do not know of what you speak.

A felon has a real uphill climb because of stupid mistakes they have made in the past and the world seems to think a felon is a felon regardless of why they spent time in jail.

Without a program such as this they have a difficult time finding work, finding a place to live and can easily be forced back into a life of crime in order to survive.

Any program that reduces the rate of recidivism is well worth the cost.

I went to Fulton High School over a half century ago and I must admit I don't understand why school districts have abandoned vocational education. Not all students are interested in college prep courses because they are not interested in college, but the powers that be seem to be forcing students into a college prep curriculum regardless if they need/want it or not. Something akin to Obamacare.

I'm surprised that in this thread I'm 100% behind Clearwater. Unless the rest of you have a relationship with a felon you need to STFU because you do not know of what you speak.

A felon has a real uphill climb because of stupid mistakes they have made in the past and the world seems to think a felon is a felon regardless of why they spent time in jail.

Without a program such as this they have a difficult time finding work, finding a place to live and can easily be forced back into a life of crime in order to survive.

Any program that reduces the rate of recidivism is well worth the cost.

I went to Fulton High School over a half century ago and I must admit I don't understand why school districts have abandoned vocational education. Not all students are interested in college prep courses because they are not interested in college, but the powers that be seem to be forcing students into a college prep curriculum regardless if they need/want it or not. Something akin to Obamacare.
I don't necessarily disagree with him in concept. My problem is in the execution. This will be another free handout that will do nothing but sap taxpayer monies with no palpable result. The government is incompetent to run these kinds of programs. The .gov needs to get out of the business of guaranteeing college loans - and if it insists on doing this kind of business - into the business of vocational education loans that have quantifiable income streams upon graduation that can be garnished to be paid back. Standing by for incoming.

Oh, and allowing retards that got women's studies degrees to default on their loans is an absolute non starter.

VN Store

Back