"Year of the Monkey" Judged Too Offensive by Learned Scholar, DeMarcus Cousins

volprof

Destroyer of Nihilists
DeMarcus Cousins of the NBA's Sacramento Kings, a noted historian under the tutelage of renowned scholar, John Calipari, has determined that the Kings' "Year of the Monkey" t-shirt initiative to celebrate the Chinese New Year (in an apparent attempt to reach out to Chinese-Americans and to Chinese markets) is offensive to black Americans, especially since the Chinese New Year ignorantly decided to coincide with the beginning of Black History Month this year.

Sacramento Kings scrap planned T-shirt giveaway after DeMarcus Cousins takes issue

Thus far, the media seems to approve of Cousins' astute social critique, yet another example in a long line of the historian's acute critical record.

No word as of yet on whether or not the Kings' plan for distributing free watermelon t-shirts on National Watermelon Day will pass Cousins' unique algorithm for judging racial insensitivity, a complex system he designed through years of course study and research at the University of Kentucky's prestigious Center for the Study of Crayola and Sandbox Arts.

Reactions: 5 people
The thing that kills me is that, in yet another example of us all trying to outdo one another with how sensitive we are to the plight of minorities in this country, everyone has just kicked the implications of Chinese heritage to the curb.

It's like Chinese-Americans don't matter as much as black Americans, because we say so. What kind of backwards logic is that?

If I were of Chinese ancestry, even if I didn't give a flip about the Chinese calendar, I'd be kind of ticked right now because some mouthbreathing NBA forward thinks his insecurity with a purple monkey is more important than my entire culture.

Reactions: 1 person
The thing that kills me is that, in yet another example of us all trying to outdo one another with how sensitive we are to the plight of minorities in this country, everyone has just kicked the implications of Chinese heritage to the curb.

It's like Chinese-Americans don't matter as much as black Americans, because we say so. What kind of backwards logic is that?

If I were of Chinese ancestry, even if I didn't give a flip about the Chinese calendar, I'd be kind of ticked right now because some mouthbreathing NBA forward thinks his insecurity with a purple monkey is more important than my entire culture.

the article you linked said that his objection was simply based upon the monkey tshirt being given on the 1st day of black history month. I don't see anywhere that he objected in general. If they had gone through with the t-shirt on 2/1 there would have been a lot of people making jokes about it and a lot of people taking offense. Quite frankly, the kind of stuff that makes the interwebs fun.

Kinda like students at Oregon trying to get the MLK "I have a dream" quote taken down because it doesn't talk about gender equality

I honestly would not have connected a purple monkey Kings shirt with either Chinese or African American.

the article you linked said that his objection was simply based upon the monkey tshirt being given on the 1st day of black history month. I don't see anywhere that he objected in general. If they had gone through with the t-shirt on 2/1 there would have been a lot of people making jokes about it and a lot of people taking offense. Quite frankly, the kind of stuff that makes the interwebs fun.

So what that it was given on the first day of Black History Month? It has nothing to do with black Americans. It pretty much tells you where this idiot's mind is if he looks at a monkey and assumes it's an insult to him. What does he do when he sees a real monkey? Call it racist?

Reactions: 2 people
So what that it was given on the first day of Black History Month? It has nothing to do with black Americans. It pretty much tells you where this idiot's mind is if he looks at a monkey and assumes it's an insult to him. What does he do when he sees a real monkey? Call it racist?

Close the zoo on Feb 1st...

Reactions: 3 people

Chinese-Americans who would like to do/see something creative with the Chinese New Year (evidently falls on February, which I was not aware of previously) should not have to take those offended into consideration. Anyone offended with it should study things and learn a bit more before making goofy associations. They shouldn't have to suffer just because a few knuckleheads automatically associate monkeys with African-Americans.

Last edited:
That's nothing. I went to the zoo last week and they actually had monkeys on display like they were just cattle for everyone to gaze upon. In Memphis of all places. How racially insensitive can you be?

This is an outrage.

Chinese-Americans who would like to do/see something creative with the Chinese New Year (evidently falls on February, which I was not aware of previously) should not have to take those offended into consideration. Anyone offended with it should study things and learn a bit more before making goofy associations.

Exactly? Why are the perceived sensitivities of black Americans seemingly more important than those of Chinese Americans?

Reminds me of Aziz Ansari in Master of None where he had the episode about Indian stereotypes and how he said nobody will go off about it like they do for things against black Americans.

Exactly? Why are the perceived sensitivities of black Americans seemingly more important than those of Chinese Americans?

Reminds me of Aziz Ansari in Master of None where he had the episode about Indian stereotypes and how he said nobody will go off about it like they do for things against black Americans.

This also reminds me of the issues pitting non-Western migrants against women for many liberals. Who do you side with? Well, the answer 9 times out of 10 for most of them, whether right or wrong, is non-Western migrants. It's a carefully defined hierarchy of oppression and suffering.

In this country, we have a hierarchy of the oppressed as well, even among racial/ethnic minorities. The interests and concerns of blacks and Jews will always trump the interests and concerns of Asian-Americans and Native-Americans, and that is because they either have stronger numbers (blacks) or have stronger lobbying capabilities (Jews). Native-Americans have faced more oppression than any other group in this nation, yet it is as if we hardly pay them any mind. On almost every index and scale, Native-Americans are the very last in nearly every standard of quality of life. And Asian-Americans (although they are by no means a monolithic group) have faced, collectively, just as much oppression as African-Americans. Chinese-Americans faced de facto slave labor conditions building our railroads and working in our Pacific mining camps, and Japanese-Americans were interned and often had their property and assets confiscated by either the govt. or their neighbors. The odd thing is that Jews have faced relatively little oppression in the US, but, due to the power of the Jewish and Israel lobbies and due to the Holocaust (which did not even occur here) their concerns garner a vastly disproportionate amount of attention.

Hispanics historically inhabit an ambiguous location somewhere in between the two sides of the racial hierarchy (Blacks/Jews v. Asians/Native Americans), but, given their growing numbers relative to the rest of the population, I suspect they will make it fully into the Tier 1 (Blacks/Jews) on the racial hierarchy of oppression by the end of the decade, if they haven't already. Asians and Native Americans, in particular, will just be **** out of luck, I suppose, when it comes to raising awareness about their respective historical oppression here, although Asians won't have it too bad considering they currently have the highest standard of life among any group, including whites, here. The people I feel really bad for are the Native Americans. By far the poorest group with the worst quality of life, highest mortality rates, highest substance abuse rates, and the highest rates of crime and homicide, and hardly any Americans have any idea or care.

Last edited:
DeMarcus Cousins of the NBA's Sacramento Kings, a noted historian under the tutelage of renowned scholar, John Calipari, has determined that the Kings' "Year of the Monkey" t-shirt initiative to celebrate the Chinese New Year (in an apparent attempt to reach out to Chinese-Americans and to Chinese markets) is offensive to black Americans, especially since the Chinese New Year ignorantly decided to coincide with the beginning of Black History Month this year.

Sacramento Kings scrap planned T-shirt giveaway after DeMarcus Cousins takes issue

Thus far, the media seems to approve of Cousins' astute social critique, yet another example in a long line of the historian's acute critical record.

No word as of yet on whether or not the Kings' plan for distributing free watermelon t-shirts on National Watermelon Day will pass Cousins' unique algorithm for judging racial insensitivity, a complex system he designed through years of course study and research at the University of Kentucky's prestigious Center for the Study of Crayola and Sandbox Arts.
So he thinks black people look like monkeys? That's pretty racist.

So he thinks black people look like monkeys? That's pretty racist.

He's not only racist towards black people, he's also anti-Chinese. I wonder why he bothered stopping there. He should have called his management a "bunch of dirty Jews" while he was at it too, just for good measure.

This also reminds me of the issues pitting non-Western migrants against women for many liberals. Who do you side with? Well, the answer 9 times out of 10 for most of them, whether right or wrong, is non-Western migrants. It's a carefully defined hierarchy of oppression and suffering.

In this country, we have a hierarchy of the oppressed as well, even among racial/ethnic minorities. The interests and concerns of blacks and Jews will always trump the interests and concerns of Asian-Americans and Native-Americans, and that is because they either have stronger numbers (blacks) or have stronger lobbying capabilities (Jews). Native-Americans have faced more oppression than any other group in this nation, yet it is as if we hardly pay them any mind. On almost every index and scale, Native-Americans are the very last in nearly every standard of quality of life. And Asian-Americans (although they are by no means a monolithic group) have faced, collectively, just as much oppression as African-Americans. Chinese-Americans faced de facto slave labor conditions building our railroads and working in our Pacific mining camps, and Japanese-Americans were interned and often had their property and assets confiscated by either the govt. or their neighbors. The odd thing is that Jews have faced relatively little oppression in the US, but, due to the power of the Jewish and Israel lobbies and due to the Holocaust (which did not even occur here) their concerns garner a vastly disproportionate amount of attention.

Hispanics historically inhabit an ambiguous location somewhere in between the two sides of the racial hierarchy (Blacks/Jews v. Asians/Native Americans), but, given their growing numbers relative to the rest of the population, I suspect they will make it fully into the Tier 1 (Blacks/Jews) on the racial hierarchy of oppression by the end of the decade, if they haven't already. Asians and Native Americans, in particular, will just be **** out of luck, I suppose, when it comes to raising awareness about their respective historical oppression here, although Asians won't have it too bad considering they currently have the highest standard of life among any group, including whites, here. The people I feel really bad for are the Native Americans. By far the poorest group with the worst quality of life, highest mortality rates, highest substance abuse rates, and the highest rates of crime and homicide, and hardly any Americans have any idea or care.

Asians aren't included because they buck the narrative. I read that in CA they were subjectively subtracting points off of Asians' SAT scores in order to justify their affirmative action racial quotas just because the UC system is so saturated with them. The problem is that very few people even know about the treatment of Chinese migrants in the West, the Exclusion Act and other immigration restrictions, and even the Japanese internment because they're treated as cursory footnotes in almost every sort of pre-college history class. Of course, Asians face institutional barriers just as any other minority does, but it doesn't "feel" like they do because for all intents and purposes they've achieved more success on average, and feelings guide us nowadays. It's a much more subtle sort of discrimination, and I couldn't even begin to speculate on the underlying causes because I can't understand the way these peoples' minds work.

Native Americans are a sad case. They're treated more as a novelty than anything else, and are so insignificant numerically that they have no voice, and people seem content to just let them suffer in silence.
And my experience was that the dirty history behind the systematic elimination of natives is also fairly taboo in schools.

Just some thoughts. You always have very thought-provoking analysis when it comes to these sorts of issues.

Reactions: 4 people
The odd thing is that Jews have faced relatively little oppression in the US, but, due to the power of the Jewish and Israel lobbies and due to the Holocaust (which did not even occur here) their concerns garner a vastly disproportionate amount of attention.
Example???

The odd thing is that Jews have faced relatively little oppression in the US, but, due to the power of the Jewish and Israel lobbies and due to the Holocaust (which did not even occur here) their concerns garner a vastly disproportionate amount of attention.
Example???

We have a Holocaust memorial museum in Washington, even though it doesn't really make much sense having one here at all and even though we had it before we had a monument in Washington to our WWII soldiers (how much sense does any of that make?). We give more foreign aid to Israel than any other nation, and Israel's foreign policy is often ours, even though Israel's foreign policy is in reality often counter to our own interests (or at least what should be our interests). Plus, I don't have any statistics, although I imagine they exist, but Jews have a disproportionate representation in the media, entertainment industry, and finance (all key areas of cultural and/or political influence).

Asians aren't included because they buck the narrative. I read that in CA they were subjectively subtracting points off of Asians' SAT scores in order to justify their affirmative action racial quotas just because the UC system is so saturated with them. The problem is that very few people even know about the treatment of Chinese migrants in the West, the Exclusion Act and other immigration restrictions, and even the Japanese internment because they're treated as cursory footnotes in almost every sort of pre-college history class. Of course, Asians face institutional barriers just as any other minority does, but it doesn't "feel" like they do because for all intents and purposes they've achieved more success on average, and feelings guide us nowadays. It's a much more subtle sort of discrimination, and I couldn't even begin to speculate on the underlying causes because I can't understand the way these peoples' minds work.

Native Americans are a sad case. They're treated more as a novelty than anything else, and are so insignificant numerically that they have no voice, and people seem content to just let them suffer in silence.
And my experience was that the dirty history behind the systematic elimination of natives is also fairly taboo in schools.

Just some thoughts. You always have very thought-provoking analysis when it comes to these sorts of issues.

The genocide of our indigenous peoples versus the enslavement of African peoples in this nation is also another interesting battlespace for our rigid hierarchies of oppression, also pointing to how these hierarchies have no apparent relation to reality or to morality; rather, these hierarchies are all very much indebted to systems of power, which is what "increasing awareness of oppression" is supposed to combat. So, oppression and our hierarchies of defining oppression are all determined by the same conditions of power - the only difference, theoretically, is that one (oppression) is supposed to enforce the power of the oppressor while the other (awareness) is supposed to fight oppression. In reality, each is about instituting power for a certain group.

Back to the genocide v. slavery battle to which you alluded. Although we are now taught about both in our schools, study of our treatment of our indigenous peoples is cursory, with much hesitancy over how far to go with the whole "genocide" label. Not so for slavery. We ingrain it into every American student that slavery was our national nightmare. As a result, most Americans today will tell you that the enslavement of African people was the worst deed this nation has ever done, which, while certainly bad, certainly is not the truth. The only answer as to why this misperception is allowed is because it is the product of the same "oppressive" systems of power that we claim to be fighting. In this case, the power of numbers for black Americans pushes the interests and concerns of Native Americans to the side, gobbling up far more of our attention and resources.

Every group is really only interested in advancing itself, as it turns out. "A shocking revelation," said no one ever.

Last edited:
This would be hilarious if it weren't so retarded. It sounds like a Chappelle Show outtake

So we're offended by someone else being offended?

Or are we just using this as an opportunity to gaze upon black folks and scratch our heads?

VN Store

Back