Army to cut more Brigade Combat Teams, reorganization coming as it loses another 40K

carlos86

Army BCT cuts, reorganization coming as service loses 40K more soldiers

Missions around globe will keep U.S. soldiers busy in 2016

This may be the worst time ever to reduce the size of the Army more. The Army will continue its draw down even though it will be required to deploy more troops to Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea, Europe, Africa, the the Middle East, Central Asia and the Pacific.

"In Europe, leaders are asking for more aviation assets to help meet the demand for troops as the U.S. works to reassure its allies in the face of Russian aggression. Operation Atlantic Resolve, a series of exercises and continuous engagements that has now expanded into more than half a dozen countries, is expected to continue in 2016, and the Army continues to send regionally-aligned forces to Europe on a rotational basis.Training also continues in Ukraine, as the Army, along with partners from Canada and Lithuania, continues training five battalions of active-duty Ukrainian soldiers. That training is expected to be completed by the end of 2016."

"The Army will reorganize two brigade combat teams and convert at least one more in the coming months as it cuts 40,000 soldiers to reach an active-duty end-strength of 450,000."

"Since 2012, driven by the Budget Control Act of 2011 and ongoing budget cuts, the Army has shed 80,000 soldiers and shut down 13 brigade combat teams, including two in Germany and one in South Korea, to reach an end-strength of 490,000. In total, by the end of fiscal 2018, the Army will have cut 120,000 soldiers or 21 percent of the active force since 2012.

And you get things like this as well:

The Air Force will no longer fire three volley salutes at veteran funerals | Fox News

When a veteran or member of the armed forces dies, he or she is entitled to a ceremony that includes the presentation of a U.S. flag to a family member and a bugler blowing Taps. Most of the time, there is a three-volley rifle salute if requested by family members. But now, if the deceased served in the Air Force, the three-volley salute is not an option because the Air Force can no longer support riflemen for funeral services for veteran retirees.

Seven member services for retirees included six members to serve as pall-bearers, a six member flag-folding detail, and a three riflemen to fire the salute. Veteran’s funerals now only receive the services of two-member teams, who provide a flag-folding ceremony, the playing of taps, and the presentation of the flag to the next of kin.

This may be the worst time ever to reduce the size of the Army more. The Army will continue its draw down even though it will be required to deploy more troops to Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea, Europe, Africa, the the Middle East, Central Asia and the Pacific.

So pretty much, everywhere on the face of the earth with the exception of South America and the US/Mexican border...

Maybe we need a new foreign policy, don't you think?

Last edited:
We are out of money. We cannot afford vast social programs & infinite military budgets. Sacred cows cannot feast on a desolate prairies.

It's not a good thing because the powers that be will not slow the operational tempo to match the reduction in force. Just going to lead to worn out people and equipment and a smaller, weaker Army.

Reactions: 1 person
We are out of money. We cannot afford vast social programs & infinite military budgets. Sacred cows cannot feast on a desolate prairies.

Of which I agree, however, there comes a point when enough was/is too much. And we've gone past that point IMO. I've seen the current state of the military and know what lies ahead. We limped into 9/11 because of the budgets under the Clinton Administration. And it's worse off now.

You can talk about social programs and whatnot, what's going to happen when you dump 80,000 more people into the workforce and try to find them jobs and there's nothing to be had? And that's just the Army's portion as I can guarantee you the USAF, Navy and Marines aren't far behind in cutting people.

It's not a good thing because the powers that be will not slow the operational tempo to match the reduction in force. Just going to lead to worn out people and equipment and a smaller, weaker Army.

Worn out equipment and exhausted soldiers will eventually led to less voluntary enlistment and fewer re enlistment.

A needed outcome because we do not have "leaders" willing to reduce spending and avoid deployments.

Reactions: 2 people
Worn out equipment and exhausted soldiers will eventually led to less voluntary enlistment and fewer re enlistment.

A needed outcome because we do not have "leaders" willing to reduce spending and avoid deployments.

And more dead soldiers.

Of which I agree, however, there comes a point when enough was/is too much. And we've gone past that point IMO. I've seen the current state of the military and know what lies ahead. We limped into 9/11 because of the budgets under the Clinton Administration. And it's worse off now.

You can talk about social programs and whatnot, what's going to happen when you dump 80,000 more people into the workforce and try to find them jobs and there's nothing to be had? And that's just the Army's portion as I can guarantee you the USAF, Navy and Marines aren't far behind in cutting people.

80,000+ people dumped onto the workforce without job openings will:
go to school,
Start their own business,
create an embarrassing situation for politicians to get real about illegal immigrant employment,
live at home and sponge,
work out of country,
revolt against our corrupt government.

That's really not going to have that much of an impact on the economy, IMO. 80k in a country of 350M is next to nothing.

We can't look at the military as a jobs program, regardless of what kind of impact this would have on the economy.

Reactions: 3 people
And more dead soldiers.

Did these soldiers join up looking for longevity? Death was/is a risk.

Young men and women are duped into believing inept politicians will take care of them once they join the military.

Young men and women are duped into believing inept politicians will take care of them once they join the military.

All soldiers ask for is competent leadership and leaders who will give them a fighting chance.

Potential for death is understood when you join. Just don't spend their lives needlessly.

At least many of those former military people will be willing to contribute and actually work. But there is no way we can even THINK about cutting any of the social programs that we have going now. After all, what would a progressive government be without the utter dependence of it's subjects?

That's really not going to have that much of an impact on the economy, IMO. 80k in a country of 350M is next to nothing.

We can't look at the military as a jobs program, regardless of what kind of impact this would have on the economy.

That's just the 80,000 in the military.

What about spouses? Or the infrastructure surrounding the bases? There's a whole lot more to it than that.

I don't think the military is a jobs program for the record. It's way more than that.

That's why there is so much of a brotherhood within the military. After the recruiting posters have faded into distant memory, they all know who they can depend on, and that bond is deeper than non-military people will ever understand.

All soldiers ask for is competent leadership and leaders who will give them a fighting chance.

Potential for death is understood when you join. Just don't spend their lives needlessly.

When was the last time a soldier had BOTH competent leadership and a fighting chance?

Generals who are defacto politicians dont supply it.
DC politicians don't supply it.

Some armed service personnel joined with the best intentions. Feel badly for those guys.

That's just the 80,000 in the military.

What about spouses? Or the infrastructure surrounding the bases? There's a whole lot more to it than that.

I don't think the military is a jobs program for the record. It's way more than that.

I think it turns into more of a jobs program because of draw downs. The slugs tend to be happy with maxed points and little chance for promotion and the good ones say **** it and get out.

Plus the draw downs rarely effect the senior Os and Es who are just marking time.

VN Store

Back