Does America truly have free elections...

Orange_Crush

I'm Dr. Rosen Rosen
...in a two party system?

Philosophical question. Are you truly free if your are really only free to choose between two of innumerable choices?

If you want to try to create more opportunity for lesser known or visible candidates, start with Citizens United ....

Reactions: 1 person
There are some out there, predominantly on the left, that want to make voting mandatory.

That said, while our choices might be limited, no one is twisting our arms to vote. No one is killing us for voting for the "wrong" candidate.

Our system is as free as it can be. The problem with it is us. We're the reason why Bush, Obama and possibly Hillary or Trump get elected.

Reactions: 3 people
There are some out there, predominantly on the left, that want to make voting mandatory.

That said, while our choices might be limited, no one is twisting our arms to vote. No one is killing us for voting for the "wrong" candidate.

Our system is as free as it can be. The problem with it is us. We're the reason why Bush, Obama and possibly Hillary or Trump get elected.

First, i don't believe in mandatory voting, but i find it funny that republicans are so afraid of having EVERYONE decide who runs the country.

So, they've foisted this system on us, and it's our fault?

First, i don't believe in mandatory voting, but i find it funny that republicans are so afraid of having EVERYONE decide who runs the country.

We're not a democracy. Once you understand that, the system created by the founders makes a lot more sense.

So, they've foisted this system on us, and it's our fault?

The Founders didn't want "the people" voting for President or Senators. Personally, I'd prefer a return to that system.

Reactions: 7 people
We're not a democracy. Once you understand that, the system created by the founders makes a lot more sense.

The Founders didn't want "the people" voting for President or Senators. Personally, I'd prefer a return to that system.

this!

It's a relative question.

Are we free? Yes. Would we be more free (in the sense of more possibilities/less restrictions) if there were more options? Sure.

The American people have no one to blame but themselves.

Aren't we able to write in any person on election day? This system we have then, to me, would be the epitome of free elections.

Whoever controls who is qualified to attend the major debates controls who our candidates will be.

And you're still well enough informed to know where those disenfranchised candidates stand and cast your ballot for them.

And you're still well enough informed to know where those disenfranchised candidates stand and cast your ballot for them.

I am, but the majority of 'Muricans only get their news and info from FOX News/ABC/CNBC... they don't venture too far away from the mainstream.

Reactions: 3 people
Aren't we able to write in any person on election day? This system we have then, to me, would be the epitome of free elections.

I write myself in for all elections. This next Presidential cycle will be my first write in for POTUS. Totally stoked to not win!

I am, but the majority of 'Muricans only get their news and info from FOX News/ABC/CNBC... they don't venture too far away from the mainstream.

That in itself isn't that bad. The problem comes when one cannot look at a wide variety of news sources, weed out the opinionated pieces, and utilize critical thinking skills to arrive at conclusion. Opinion pieces fused with news reporting is just bad for everyone.

CNN has a story about a guy from from the arctic to Paris for some climate change conference. Its a cool story but the underlying theme from the author is that climate change is terrorism. You gotta be able to filter out that kind of crazy.

I'm not afraid of that. I just want living people to vote, and of them, each to only have one vote.

And having a photo ID is not bigoted, racist, hardship inducing, or any other "strawman" (your favorite term) arguments. You have to have one to drive, buy liquor, or myriad other things. Voting should require one as well. It's.... just.... not... that... hard.

I'm not afraid of that. I just want living people to vote, and of them, each to only have one vote.

And having a photo ID is not bigoted, racist, hardship inducing, or any other "strawman" (your favorite term) arguments. You have to have one to drive, buy liquor, or myriad other things. Voting should require one as well. It's.... just.... not... that... hard.

ID is required to buy a weapon. Should also be required to vote.

Both are equally dangerous in the wrong hands.

Hell, starting next year, I have to provide my birth certificate to renew my cdl.

ID is required to buy a weapon. Should also be required to vote.

Both are equally dangerous in the wrong hands.

Hell, starting next year, I have to provide my birth certificate to renew my cdl.

Gotta make sure you actually exist before letting you behind the wheel, bro.

Considering the fact that a few million fraudulent votes (including illegal aliens) are cast in every presidential election for the democrat candidate, I say no, we do not have free elections because the process that allows these illegal votes is corrupt.

VN Store

Back