Are You Declining Employer-Provided Health Insurance?

What is your HI status?

• Total voters

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
A little back story:

My employer eliminated insurance in 2015 and started paying the Obamacare penalty, so I signed up through the HC exchange. We got raped because we don't have kids and dual income. We went from paying about $230 per month to about $450 per month.

My wife got a new job and we were planning on getting HI through them, but we just found out we would be paying over $600/month with their contribution.

How could this be possible? It seems unrealistic that it could be that much after their contribution.

So my completely unverified theory is: HC has become so expensive that employers are purposefully finding the worst coverage so that nobody signs up through them.

Is anybody else dropping their employer's insurance?

It's only going to get worse. BCBS is going up by 25% here. It is out of control. I do not not see how any small business person can afford it. My buddy is paying $850 for a family plan every month.

A little back story:

My employer eliminated insurance in 2015 and started paying the Obamacare penalty, so I signed up through the HC exchange. We got raped because we don't have kids and dual income. We went from paying about $230 per month to about $450 per month.

My wife got a new job and we were planning on getting HI through them, but we just found out we would be paying over $600/month with their contribution.

How could this be possible? It seems unrealistic that it could be that much after their contribution.

So my completely unverified theory is: HC has become so expensive that employers are purposefully finding the worst coverage so that nobody signs up through them.

Is the company your wife works for self insured? The one I work for is. The insurance is ridiculous. I'm currently under my wife's insurance. She works for a huge company.

A little back story:

1) That does seem high to me. What is the employer contribution? Percentage or flat?

2) We haven't dropped our coverage to get people to get out of it. Deductibles and copays have gone up over time, but nothing out of the ordinary. We've had no employee drop our plan to go on their own. Then again, we pay all but $100 a month of their premium, so they are paying $1200 a year and we are picking up the other approx. $550o, so they'd be pretty dumb to do so.

3) Imagine how much worse this would be without the ACA. From an employer perspective, we've seen rate increases at least somewhat stabilize and moderate. Of course, that is our own experience. Can't speak for others.

Bottom line: The system was completely unsustainable. It is now only somewhat more sustainable. But in time, single payor is inevitable.

Reactions: 2 people
Is the company your wife works for self insured? The one I work for is. The insurance is ridiculous. I'm currently under my wife's insurance. She works for a huge company.

I work for a huge company. They just had me sign an attestation that my wife couldn't get HC through her employer (she isn't employed). So be prepared. My family plan is $1500 a month. My company covers $1300 of it.

I work for a huge company. They just had me sign an attestation that my wife couldn't get HC through her employer (she isn't employed). So be prepared. My family plan is $1500 a month. My company covers $1300 of it.

Your CEO and BOD are evidently libs.

:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
1) That does seem high to me. What is the employer contribution? Percentage or flat?

2) We haven't dropped our coverage to get people to get out of it. Deductibles and copays have gone up over time, but nothing out of the ordinary. We've had no employee drop our plan to go on their own. Then again, we pay all but $100 a month of their premium, so they are paying $1200 a year and we are picking up the other approx. $550o, so they'd be pretty dumb to do so.

3) Imagine how much worse this would be without the ACA. From an employer perspective, we've seen rate increases at least somewhat stabilize and moderate. Of course, that is our own experience. Can't speak for others.

Bottom line: The system was completely unsustainable. It is now only somewhat more sustainable. But in time, single payor is inevitable.

You can't be serious?

IDK what my wife's employer contribution is.

Reactions: 3 people

Yep, because paying loan defaults with taxpayer money is a far better solution in the long run:

ObamaCare's predictable collapse | TheHill

#SubOversight Examines Failed Obamacare CO-OPs | Energy & Commerce Committee

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...324fd0-7449-11e5-8d93-0af317ed58c9_story.html

6 Insurance Companies Created Under Obamacare Collapsed

The idiot in charge is getting what he wants in the single payer system. Just doing it indirectly and taking down the free market in the process.

Similar deal here. It's an additional 100 a month for me alone because I declined insurance through my employer.

There were hoops I had to jump through to be covered.

I have employer provided coverage. My contribution is going up from $45/month to $175/month

Obamacare is the insurance companies wet dream come true. Granting the insurance companies such a big role in drafting the ACA was not the sharpest move of Harvard Educated POTUS has made.

Obamacare is the insurance companies wet dream come true. Granting the insurance companies such a big role in drafting the ACA was not the sharpest move of Harvard Educated POTUS has made.
How do you figure?

Health insurers are like any other business. They are there to make a profit.

Health care providers are like any other professional. They want to make as much money as they can.

The population is aging, technical and medical advances are incredible. All of which costs a lot of money, and is designed at every step to make more money.

And you guys are blaming the government for this? Come on. Get real.

Health care providers are like any other professional. They want to make as much money as they can.

The population is aging, technical and medical advances are incredible. All of which costs a lot of money, and is designed at every step to make more money.

None of this explains why my premiums would more than triple in 5 years. From 200-2005, insurance companies loved profits. The population was also aging. Technical and medical advances were incredible. But alas, HI premiums did not triple.

So weird, right?

Reactions: 4 people

The government has no business being involved in it.

Reactions: 7 people
LG... My family plan was canceled b/c "it didn't meet the standards of the ACA". It didn't cover pregnancy, which was fine b/c it's physically impossible for us to get pregnant. The alternative plans they offered were like $500 more per month. I had to get a new job because of it. I blame 0bama, not the insurance companies or the advances in HC

None of this explains why my premiums would more than triple in 5 years. From 200-2005, insurance companies loved profits. The population was also aging. Technical and medical advances were incredible. But alas, HI premiums did not triple.

So weird, right?

We didn't see an increase at all or lose any coverages until obamacare was put in place

My employer is very large so we still have good coverage and rates. The 2016 rate will be $75/month for medical PPO (me only). My spouse works for same company so pays the same. We're fortunate.

My employer is very large so we still have good coverage and rates. The 2016 rate will be $75/month for medical PPO (me only). My spouse works for same company so pays the same. We're fortunate.

There are a lot of businesses taking advantage of the ACA by using it as an excuse to do something they've always wanted to do, which is to cut coverage costs.

Now they have something to blame it on.

We didn't see an increase at all or lose any coverages until obamacare was put in place

HC costs were going up, but we didn't see the same increases on employer-subsidized premiums (a lot of that increase in HC cost is paid for thru medicare, medicaid, or it is never paid). They were small enough that they never made too much of a difference.

Now increases in cost are built into the employer provided side of things (or if you are like me and pay above average household premiums thru the exchange).

There are a lot of businesses taking advantage of the ACA by using it as an excuse to do something they've always wanted to do, which is to cut coverage costs.

But they didn't ****ing do it before, now did they?

This is just another indictment of the ACA. How do you not see that?

All are profiteering crooks ---

VN Store

Back