Allah Needs a new PR Dept.

It's important to remember it's just a small minority who support jihad against the west!!

see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-lessonsontheenglishlongsword_blogspot_com_.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Who knows how well a crowd of soccer fans speak for an entire nation (although, if they're anything like our football fans, then I'd imagine there's certainly something to this and that it's not merely an exception), but that country is really going downhill quick.

It's like Turks looked at their nation and at their lives a few years back (and again this year), asked themselves what had made them the "gem of the Middle East," the one cultural oasis in a vast cultural desert, and decided that they'd start doing the opposite for a change.

Ataturk must be spinning in his grave.

Reactions: 1 person
Who knows how well a crowd of soccer fans speak for an entire nation (although, if they're anything like our football fans, then I'd imagine there's certainly something to this and that it's not merely an exception), but that country is really going downhill quick.

It's like Turks looked at their nation and at their lives a few years back (and again this year), asked themselves what had made them the "gem of the Middle East," the one cultural oasis in a vast cultural desert, and decided that they'd start doing the opposite for a change.

Ataturk must be spinning in his grave.

We have several exchange efforts with Turkey and it is definitely a country going in 2 directions.

UPDATE: I see defenders of this say the booing was not aimed at the victims but at the hypocrisy of not having moments of silence for victims of violence in Turkey.

I'll grant them the point but still think it's not the best way to express frustration.

UPDATE: I see defenders of this say the booing was not aimed at the victims but at the hypocrisy of not having moments of silence for victims of violence in Turkey.

I'll grant them the point but still think it's not the best way to express frustration.

Is that why they also chanted Allahu Akbar?

I'll grant them that too. Curious as to why there wouldn't be the same regard given to the victims in the Ankara bombings? That's a legit complaint, imo.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll grant them that too. Curious as to why there wouldn't be the same regard given to the victims in the Ankara bombings? That's a legit complaint, imo.

I hadn't thought about this either when I made my original comment in this thread. (Thanks for the update reminder, bham, by the way.)

I think there's a difference nonetheless, regarding the attacks. The Turkish attack was on a left-leaning, anti-Erdogan, anti-Islamist protesters, as I understand, while the Paris attacks were on random people. Despite the rhetoric about being under attack from radical Islamists, as I'm sure the moderate Islamist, Erdogan, propagated, I imagine his government would not have fancied a European-wide commemoration for dead protesters that would have brought even more publicity to how ****ed up he and his party are making that country.

And I still stand by my original comments. The world is loosing Turkey, ever so slowly. My fear is that it will one day become another Iran. Maybe not necessarily "theocratic" but essentially theocratic-based, anti-Western, and insulated rather than the booming cosmopolitan metropolis of Western ideals and values that helped it come into the fold and enter modernity in prosperity and style after the fall of the Ottomans.

VN Store

Back