Volkswagen fine vs real corporate criminal fines

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
GM faces $900M fine in ignition switch probe

That fund, run by lawyer Ken Feinberg, who also ran the 9/11 victims compensation fund, has approved settlement offers for families of 124 victims who were killed and 275 who were injured. GM has set aside more than $600 million to cover those settlements.

In 2014, GM admitted that some of its employees knew about the ignition switch defect as early as 2003. Company attorneys and outside counsel approved settlements with families who lost loved ones in accidents caused by the defect. But the company didn't recall any cars until February 2014. Eventually it recalled 2.6 million cars equipped with the defective ignition switches.

CEO Mary Barra fired 15 engineers and attorneys for not doing more to tell higher-ranking executives how serious the problem was. The company then initiated a record number of recalls that affected nearly 30 million vehicles worldwide last year and reorganized its safety response organization.

So they knew for 10 years that people were dying and they will end up paying around $1 billion and firing a few engineers.

HSBC Judge Approves $1.9B Drug-Money Laundering Accord

HSBC Holdings Plc’s $1.9 billion agreement with the U.S. to resolve charges it enabled Latin American drug cartels to launder billions of dollars was approved by a federal judge.

U.S. Hits JPMorgan With $2B Penalty Over Madoff Scandal

Barclays, UBS among six top banks fined nearly $US6bn for rigging foreign exchange, Libor rates

Compare all of that where you have actual victims that have lost their lives or their life's savings or criminal money laundering to what Volkswagen is facing...

Volkswagen could face $18 billion penalties from EPA

GM faces $900M fine in ignition switch probe

So they knew for 10 years that people were dying and they will end up paying around $1 billion and firing a few engineers.

HSBC Judge Approves $1.9B Drug-Money Laundering Accord

U.S. Hits JPMorgan With $2B Penalty Over Madoff Scandal

Barclays, UBS among six top banks fined nearly $US6bn for rigging foreign exchange, Libor rates

Compare all of that where you have actual victims that have lost their lives or their life's savings or criminal money laundering to what Volkswagen is facing...

Volkswagen could face $18 billion penalties from EPA

UAW Big 3 influence..... Bending over the German automaker

Reactions: 1 person
Actually looks more like the typical overreach of the government these days.

I've said that about most of these busted taillight/loose cigarette/child support/drug offenses over the last few years and you've seemed to support the crooked cops in all of those cases...

Just saying...

Reactions: 1 person
One thing that is pretty interesting about this "scandal" is that VW was giving people EXACTLY what they wanted: an engine that would pass emissions tests and give good performance. Who on here hasn't wanted to disconnect a catalytic converter because it screwed your performance? Same thing only high tech basically. I think it's pretty cool actually.

Reactions: 3 people
One thing that is pretty interesting about this "scandal" is that VW was giving people EXACTLY what they wanted: an engine that would pass emissions tests and give good performance. Who on here hasn't wanted to disconnect a catalytic converter because it screwed your performance? Same thing only high tech basically. I think it's pretty cool actually.

The engines run cooler, cleaner, and more efficient with out all that crap on there.

My fuel mileage climbed 3-4 mpg after deleting all that crap.

From August 13th? Not likely.

Cynical, even for you, to insinuate that the Tianjin explosion was perpetrated by a corporation to cover up wrongdoing that hadn't even been exposed.

Not what I was speculating. I'm suggesting that someone is trrying to send VW/German industry a message.

The engines run cooler, cleaner, and more efficient with out all that crap on there.

My fuel mileage climbed 3-4 mpg after deleting all that crap.

This is exactly right. One of the primary reasons an old Dodge truck with a cummins is in hot demand. The prices on those things are unbelievably high.

You really do need professional help.

Like for real.

At the very least, compare the fine that is being thrown around that VW will pay vs what these other criminals paid. We can throw out the Tianjin explosion as a conspiracy theory (for right now).

This is exactly right. One of the primary reasons an old Dodge truck with a cummins is in hot demand. The prices on those things are unbelievably high.

Or a Ford with a 7.3, sometimes the engine is worth more than the whole truck.

Just now broke in...seriously.

I agree. The body, especially the bed, was well broken in and the owner musta weighed 400 pounds judging by the sag in the drivers seat. Got those and a few other minor things fixed and I'm happy with the truck now. Will probably last me the rest of my days.

Ford really screwed up on the 6.0. Tried to take some short cuts. Bad management design decisions. Would have been a great engine.

Anyone considered loading up on v dub stock while it's on the canvas?

Ford really screwed up on the 6.0. Tried to take some short cuts. Bad management design decisions. Would have been a great engine.

Not entirely true. The 6.0 is a powerhouse. But regulation forced the changes to the engines. You can delete all that crap and stud the heads, and it's just as dependable as the 7.3.

My 6.4 screams when I hit the go pedal. But it is deleted and tuned.

The wife's 6.0 is all stock pushing 300,000 miles. I am afraid it's going to need some injectors this winter though.

VN Store

Back