Arian Foster - painting UT in poor form

allenrikvik

Living in Houston, I have been proud of his achievements, even when he has presented his university in poor light. He represents a strong case for commitment and success.

However, in a recent broadcast (Friday/noon/Sportscenter) on ESPN about religion in the sports, A Foster makes his case as an atheist, but uses his time at UT as examples of intolerance, even representing the P Fulmer team-building exercises attending local churches as biased, even racial. The total package is professionally presented, not very aggressive, but subtly insinuating intolerance and bias at the University.

I am not against his position, but I am against speculative comments and the assumption of guilt towards UT. Even worse, I am very disappointed with A Foster.

It is always easy to be a victim

Reactions: 8 people
I think the feelings between Arian and VolNation are mutual. Its best he just move on and find another dog to kick.

Reactions: 14 people
Until Arian Foster figures out that he is his own worse enemy,i dont think he will ever change....Its always someone or sumthing doing poor ole Arian wrong in his life.....man up dude and just accept sh*t for what it is and move forward!

Reactions: 5 people
As an atheist I see most of his criticisms as somewhat legitimate but ultimately misplaced.

A rational atheist doesn't complain about feeling "uncomfortable" by prayer. He doesn't give incantations the power to offend him but understands their importance to others while realizing that it costs him nothing to just keep his mouth shut.

There are real issues to debate, real causes for which he will die. Foster undermines these by being so petty.

Reactions: 12 people
As an atheist I see most of his criticisms as somewhat legitimate but ultimately misplaced.

A rational atheist doesn't complain about feeling "uncomfortable" by prayer. He doesn't give incantations the power to offend him but understands their importance to others while realizing that it costs him nothing to just keep his mouth shut.

There are real issues to debate, real causes for which he will die. Foster undermines these by being so petty.

I'm agnostic, so I can't speak from atheist standpoint, but I've never felt uncomfortable by prayer, God bless you and so forth. I would think if you don't believe in anything that you just wouldn't care.

Living in Houston, I have been proud of his achievements, even when he has presented his university in poor light. He represents a strong case for commitment and success.

However, in a recent broadcast (Friday/noon/Sportscenter) on ESPN about religion in the sports, A Foster makes his case as an atheist, but uses his time at UT as examples of intolerance, even representing the P Fulmer team-building exercises attending local churches as biased, even racial. The total package is professionally presented, not very aggressive, but subtly insinuating intolerance and bias at the University.

I am not against his position, but I am against speculative comments and the assumption of guilt towards UT. Even worse, I am very disappointed with A Foster.

Intolerance and bias is when you cheat on your wife and child, impregnate a young woman, and then pressure and manipulate her to kill your own child in the womb, so that you don't get caught. Might be considered before throwing stones at a University who gave you 6 figures worth of education and benefits and helped launch you to a multi-million dollar career.

When Arian gets his own big-time college program and gets headed for the Hall of Fame, well be glad to check in with all his hundreds and hundreds of former and current player to verify that every single race, political view, religion, age, sexual preference, creed, culture, language and all other factors get accurately represented perfectly over the course of their time in the program. That should be enlightening.

Just a couple of things to consider.

Reactions: 13 people

Makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
he is geared different, i am not a religious person at all so I will admit even I get sick of the constant praying or this and that of ALL religions not one in particular. You notice after most games the folks with faith usually join for a prayer etc, i think that is awesome, but i understand what he means when he felt a way of being forced to go to church or something of that nature.....Phil was a godly man like Mark Richt is, so i can see the two ideals clashing....regardless it is a violent sport so i always support folks of faith, just dont like it when they push it on me.....perhaps that is what he felt, i will admit i didnt see the SC you are refrencing but i have read some of his work....he has done a few write up for papers or blogs

That's why he cheated on his wife and had a baby with another woman and his wife filed for divorce. I get it.

Arian Foster isn't wrong about the exploitation of college football players, and - if his account here is accurate - he isn't wrong about this. Football coaches at pubic universities are representatives of the government, and shouldn't be proselytizing to their players any more than professors in a classroom. Public employees have to respect the constitutional separation of church and state when they're acting in capacity of their jobs.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to players themselves participating in post-game prayers, bible study groups, religiously-motivated community service events, etc. But the coaching staff should stay out of it, and respect that not all of their players share the same religious or political beliefs.

Reactions: 4 people
If Arian Foster is an atheist, who did he pray to for tacos?

He is a moron, no other way to put it. From his goofy reporter interviews, to his view on whatever and whomever asks him. He is the very definition of why most people tune out athletes and Hollywood when they talk about other things than sports or entertainment.

Reactions: 4 people

This part of the country intolerant and biased toward atheists? Imagine that! We all know that would never happen! Never! (Scopes Trial II)

I'm agnostic, so I can't speak from atheist standpoint, but I've never felt uncomfortable by prayer, God bless you and so forth. I would think if you don't believe in anything that you just wouldn't care.

I agree. And even in his time here I don't think he would have gotten much kickback if he just didn't go to these things. Who would have done anything about it? If he went and felt uncomfortable then just quietly leave. Doesn't have to be a big deal. Goes both ways

Arian Foster isn't wrong about the exploitation of college football players, and - if his account here is accurate - he isn't wrong about this. Football coaches at pubic universities are representatives of the government, and shouldn't be proselytizing to their players any more than professors in a classroom. Public employees have to respect the constitutional separation of church and state when they're acting in capacity of their jobs.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to players themselves participating in post-game prayers, bible study groups, religiously-motivated community service events, etc. But the coaching staff should stay out of it, and respect that not all of their players share the same religious or political beliefs.

Nobody force the player to choose the school with a religious coach.

I agree. And even in his time here I don't think he would have gotten much kickback if he just didn't go to these things. Who would have done anything about it? If he went and felt uncomfortable then just quietly leave. Doesn't have to be a big deal. Goes both ways

Indeed. You essentially added on what I left out.

I'm sure most on here would protest to being forced to go to a church of a denomination they did not adhere to. Not to mention that he was a 19-22 year old and, I may be mistaken, but that is the prime period in life for righteous indignation. Granted, some on here have held onto that far longer than should be expected.
As far as painting the university in a bad light I don't see how what he says in that particular piece does that. It may be that he believes that he will in some way make the path easier for a kid in a similar situation. That, most assuredly, was the point behind tacogate.
Basically, this is a non-issue to me. We have a game this weekend if you have forgotten.

Nobody force the player to choose the school with a religious coach.

Like an atheist coach is going to do very well on the recruiting trail :)

I could understand where he's coming from if there was a possible bias against those who didn't participate in team functions like going to church. I have to think that's exists (especially in the south)

Reactions: 3 people
Foster is a ungrateful, narcissistic, hypocritical dirtbag and I wish he had never attended Tennessee.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back