U.S. diverts F-16s to avoid Russian fighter in Syria

Well, the Russians were invited by Syria to help, and we weren't. We have zero business in Syria, especially as seeing how we still haven't solved the issues in Iraq or Afganistan.

Reactions: 4 people
The last thing I want to see is the U.S. involved in yet another Arabic country and I have more of a vested interest in things remaining calm in the region than you know.

That being said, I bet if Reagan was in office, the Russians would be flying out of their way to avoid us. It is a sad indication of our current position in the world.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not seeing it. Can you quote the lines you are interpreting as an invitation?

Assad said the U.S., which has been leading a coalition that is carrying out airstrikes on ISIS militants in Syria and Iraq, refuses to work and coordinate with his government. For the U.S. officials, "if they cooperate with the Syrian army, this is like recognition of our effectiveness in fighting ISIS," Assad added. "This is part of the willful blindness of the American administration, unfortunately."
if we aren't invited why does he want to coordinate? Assad talking out both sides of his mouth?

Walid al-Moallem, the Syrian foreign minister, said his government was ready “to co-operate and co-ordinate” with any side, including the US, or join any regional or international alliance against Isis. But he said any military action inside Syria should be co-ordinated with the Syrian government.

Something about killing your own citizens often contributes to your losing legitimacy in the eyes of the international community (Yany in Ukraine another case in point).

But, even so, I wish we'd stop our airstrikes in Syria and double-down in Iraq, which is a problem we should and can solve.

Russia allowed its boy in Syria to run wild for a few years, and in the process, things there have gotten far too out of hand. It's none of our business really either. Let Russia bury itself there instead.

if we aren't invited why does he want to coordinate? Assad talking out both sides of his mouth?

He extended an offer to work together with the Syrian govt. We have declined that offer and are fighting illegally in Syria.

Without working with the Syrian govt and military, we are uninvited....crashing the party.

Keep reaching tho..

uhhhh

Walid al-Moallem, the Syrian foreign minister, said his government was ready “to co-operate and co-ordinate” with any side, including the US, or join any regional or international alliance against Isis. But he said any military action inside Syria should be co-ordinated with the Syrian government.

Nm. I screwed this up.

Attachments

• 2015-10-05-11-54-19--145879747.jpeg
    2015-10-05-11-54-19--145879747.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 86
Guess we didn't get that whole "deconfliction" thing figured out.

The only two legal ways of fighting in Syria are by either a personal invitation by the leader of Syria(which we do not have because we refuse to coordinate, cooperate with the Syrian govt), or by a UN Security Council resolution that allows intervention, which has not happened.

The only state involved legally in the Russian Federation..

Let Russia take this box of s**t, it isn't any of our business to begin with. Assad is a POS no doubt but it should be apparant to everyone that he is the lesser evil in this civil war.

Why in the hell do we need to get into another d**k waving contest with the Russians? Our military is second to none so who gives a damn about Putin trying to rabble rouse?

Last edited:
Syria only has 2.5 billion barrels of proven oil reserves. Let Russia have them. Worry about Venezuela (300 billion barrels) instead.

so we should coordinate with the Syrian government (a given) but we shouldn't be coordinating IN syria. right. I read an article a while ago that we send notification to the government/military at least a day before the strike. and the Syrians largely don't respond. I found some old articles but there is a more recent one that was more flushed/sourced out. still trying to find it. so its not like we are showing up, bombing randomly and leaving.

Let Russia take this box of s**t, it isn't any of our business to begin with. Assad is a POS no doubt but it should be apparant to everyone that he is the lesser evil in this civil war.

Why in the hell do we need to get into another d**k waving contest with the Russians? Our military is second to none so who gives a damn about Putin trying to rabble rouse?

even as the "defender" of our actions in Syria, I would just like it to be known I would be completely fine with us getting out of the whole situation.

VN Store

Back