High school seniors must pass citizenship test to graduate

10 years ago this would have been met with shock and awe. Nowadays nothing should come as a shock. I mean it seems totally fair doesn't it? I mean American citizens need to take a citizenship test to graduate high school. Because.....

Reactions: 1 person
10 years ago this would have been met with shock and awe. Nowadays nothing should come as a shock. I mean it seems totally fair doesn't it? I mean American citizens need to take a citizenship test to graduate high school. Because.....

Haha good point. It also doesn't make sense that we move towards more standardized testing in a time when we're supposedly putting less emphasis on standardized testing. I can't quite figure out Governor Haslam or our legislature. They're all over the place with education.

Haha good point. It also doesn't make sense that we move towards more standardized testing in a time when we're supposedly putting less emphasis on standardized testing. I can't quite figure out Governor Haslam or our legislature. They're all over the place with education.

I am beginning to think Haslam is the product of a common core education :)

Yeah, that first attempt won't be pretty, but I believe they can take it until they pass, and surely the questions change each time.

My college American Government teacher gave us the citizenship test as an assessment on the first day. 72% of the class failed it.

South Carolina has a similar exit exam structure. Except it's on the stuff that's actually essential to know. Like basic math and English.

Fill me in on that. We are looking at our seniors completing a "senior project" (alongside the citizenship test).

They're allowed to use any topic from their senior classes to base their project on, then they'll present it to a panel of judges. I think this is cool and all, but I don't see how they'll get the very low performers to do something of that magnitude.

An exit exam option for those students may be an alternative that they could better handle...

I'll see if I can get this started in Georgia!

I don't see huge benefits from it. Probably won't be cheap. I doubt it prevents anyone from graduating. Try it out, and if it works keep it. If not, try something else.

Fill me in on that. We are looking at our seniors completing a "senior project" (alongside the citizenship test).

They're allowed to use any topic from their senior classes to base their project on, then they'll present it to a panel of judges. I think this is cool and all, but I don't see how they'll get the very low performers to do something of that magnitude.

An exit exam option for those students may be an alternative that they could better handle...

Well apparently they abolished it this summer.
https://ed.sc.gov/agency/programs-services/43/

I don't see huge benefits from it. Probably won't be cheap. I doubt it prevents anyone from graduating. Try it out, and if it works keep it. If not, try something else.

I think it is law in Tennessee now, so it actually might prevent graduation. I've seen kids not graduate for missing 1 more day than they were allowed to miss. But you're right, it can't be cheap.

Why? My whole life I've heard people lament that the average American can't pass the citizenship test. I am shocked nobody had proposed this sooner.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back