Automation and Jobs

"The work of the future is likely to be varied and have a bigger share of social interaction and empathy, thought, creativity and skill."

What the f?

Why would they think a future skill requires feeling sorry for people?

Wish I could buy robots to drive trucks.

The technology for this is pretty much where it needs to be for that to be viable. It's going to be all about the lawyers figuring out who gets sued in the case of an accident at this point. That deliberation is going to take a while.

I for one welcome the day when my car drives me to work and I can take a thirty minute nap every morning.

Reactions: 2 people
The technology for this is pretty much where it needs to be for that to be viable. It's going to be all about the lawyers figuring out who gets sued in the case of an accident at this point. That deliberation is going to take a while.

I for one welcome the day when my car drives me to work and I can take a thirty minute nap every morning.

Only problem is all those other cars that are still being operated by idiots.

"The work of the future is likely to be varied and have a bigger share of social interaction and empathy, thought, creativity and skill."

What the f?

Why would they think a future skill requires feeling sorry for people?

Come on, 79. You know empathy is much more than that. It's a very important skill, in my opinion. Has more to do with understanding people, at least with cognitive empathy.

Reactions: 4 people
Reactions: 1 person
Since we have some posters that excuse the low employment participation rate as "the new normal" and the result of technology, I offer this treatise on why that theory just doesn't hold water.

Enjoy

Why Are There Any Jobs Still Left? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

I find it interesting that you can easily find information and stats on outsourced jobs but nothing of consequence on insourced jobs. I remember seeing information on that years ago and the numbers were fairly close.

Not me. I'm a car nut.....always have been, always will be. I love to drive.

Come on, 79. You know empathy is much more than that. It's a very important skill, in my opinion. Has more to do with understanding people, at least with cognitive empathy.

It's a skill I recognize I don't have.

That's what people say. But I am a pessimist at heart and I find all too often that empathy is actually a guise for "feeling sorry for people". Because when it boils down to it having empathy for someone is impossible if you didn't experience their experiences. I can empathize with a person grief stricken with lose. I haven't experienced it but I can understand them. I can't empathize with the hoodrat claiming their hardscrabble life kept them from getting into the Air force so they had to go into the Army..<--heard that before.

Restaurants could be totally automated save for a technician maintaining the equipment. No spit in food, no poorly mixed drinks, service on demand. It could be done.

Restaurants could be totally automated save for a technician maintaining the equipment. No spit in food, no poorly mixed drinks, service on demand. It could be done.

Meh... on a large enough scale and with a limited menu, you might get away with it. But you would have to have a bunch of volume to justify the upfront capital investment needed to flip a burger, put it between buns, wrap/package it, and ready for the customer. The complexity of the system needed to even fully automate a 5 Guys burger joint would be huge.

One thing I agree that we can do with out is cashiers, though. I could easily see the day when you walk up to the counter with a pushbutton/picture touchscreen and you pay like you would at a Walmart or Kroger self-serve aisle.

Last edited:
Meh... on a large enough scale and with a limited menu, you might get away with it. But you would have to have a bunch of volume to justify the upfront capital investment needed to flip a burger, put it between buns, wrap/package it, and ready for the customer. The complexity of the system needed to even full auto mate a 5 Guys burger joint would be huge.

One thing I agree that we can do with out is cashiers, though. I could easily see the day when you walk up to the counter with a pushbutton/picture touchscreen and you pay like you would at a Walmart or Kroger self-serve aisle.

RFID tags and scanners would be even better as long as the Alex Jones-types would stop yammering about some New World Order coming about.

Meh... on a large enough scale and with a limited menu, you might get away with it. But you would have to have a bunch of volume to justify the upfront capital investment needed to flip a burger, put it between buns, wrap/package it, and ready for the customer. The complexity of the system needed to even full auto mate a 5 Guys burger joint would be huge.

$$

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
RFID tags and scanners would be even better as long as the Alex Jones-types would stop yammering about some New World Order coming about.

Start watching at about the 1:55 mark. Enjoy...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NzFCfZMBkU[/youtube]

Absolutely - a core tenet of being a customer-focused organization is empathy. In fact I'd argue the difference between companies that really are winning via customer focus and those that claim to be is that the former actually have empathy.

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely - a core tenet of being a customer-focused organization is empathy. In fact I'd argue the difference between companies that really are winning via customer focus and those that claim to be is that the former actually have empathy.

I must disagree with you here prof. I believe my almost complete lack of empathy coupled with my ingrained greed have made us one of the best in terms of customer satisfaction. I don't give a **** what my customers problems are, but I figure out a way to fix them quickly.

VN Store

Back