Teachers should be paid a bunch more, don't you think?

lawgator1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHqPFbxmOU

This is a Key & Peele skit, mocking us for the emphasis we put on sports, rather than on teachers. Pretty thought provoking, actually.

Generally speaking, I think teachers are tremendously underpaid. Administration seems to be a place where there is some waste, but teachers themselves, if they prove themselves, deserve a lot more.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes we should. Although coaches are underpaid around here as well. The amount of hours most of these guys put in at the high school level after its all said and done they are probably making a couple dollars on the hour for coaching.

My wife has her BA in education and has been teaching since she graduated, over twenty years and I still make more $$$.

Yes we should. Although coaches are underpaid around here as well. The amount of hours most of these guys put in at the high school level after its all said and done they are probably making a couple dollars on the hour for coaching.

My guess is that over 90% of HS coaches do it for the love of the game or kids, not the money.

Reactions: 2 people

What do coaches make in your area?

Here: 60-100k a year.

Malzahn was pulling more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHqPFbxmOU

This is a Key & Peele skit, mocking us for the emphasis we put on sports, rather than on teachers. Pretty thought provoking, actually.

Generally speaking, I think teachers are tremendously underpaid. Administration seems to be a place where there is some waste, but teachers themselves, if they prove themselves, deserve a lot more.

I'm not saying our priorities are right, but saying an entire group should be paid more is a little absurd.

There are plenty of teachers that should make more and there are a lot of teachers that should be making less (or not have the job).

The problem is the teachers union has made it impossible to pay teachers based on merit, so all the boats are on a low tide.

Reactions: 3 people
Average salary is about 56-57K. That is for 10 months. Extrapolate that to 12 months and you have close to 70k annually.

Not huge but certainly not shabby.

Now lets look at who pays them - citizens do with their taxes. Median income is in the mid 30s.

So to pay teachers more you have to take more money from people who make the same or less than they do.

I know, I know, tax the rich. Even at confiscatory levels there is not enough there to significantly raise teacher pay.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm not saying our priorities are right, but saying an entire group should be paid more is a little absurd.

There are plenty of teachers that should make more and there are a lot of teachers that should be making less (or not have the job).

The problem is the teachers union has made it impossible to pay teachers based on merit, so all the boats are on a low tide.

My wife has her BA in education and has been teaching since she graduated, over twenty years and I still make more $$$.

Think about the value she adds to society versus an NBA player. The latter entertains, that's all, and gets paid millions. Her efforts are going to help forge the intellect and moral strength of thousands over her career.

Reactions: 2 people
Average salary is about 56-57K. That is for 10 months. Extrapolate that to 12 months and you have close to 70k annually.

Not huge but certainly not shabby.

Now lets look at who pays them - citizens do with their taxes. Median income is in the mid 30s.

So to pay teachers more you have to take more money from people who make the same or less than they do.

I know, I know, tax the rich. Even at confiscatory levels there is not enough there to significantly raise teacher pay.

I meant it more from a priorities point of view.

probably because she's a woman.... :)

My wife has a BA in psych and a Masters in Ed, working on her second Masters now, while I went to school for only one year and make nearly $20k more than her annually.

VN Store

Back